turtlespeed

A serious preponderance about Trump and Covid-19

I wonder how many anti-Trumpers out there are actually thankful for Covid-19.

It has to be like the golden ticket to them. 

I doubt any here will actually admit it.  I wholeheartedly believe that they are secretly thankful, though, if only because there is a lesser chance of him being re-elected.

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I doubt any here will actually admit it.  I wholeheartedly believe that they are secretly thankful, though, if only because there is a lesser chance of him being re-elected.

I'm curious - is there actually any other point to this post except to be cover for you to throw a blanket insult at everyone here you disagree with?

And "preponderance" does not mean what you think it means, by the way.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jakee said:

I'm curious - is there actually any other point to this post except to be cover for you to throw a blanket insult at everyone here you disagree with?

I posted yesterday about the Ohio republican governor doing a good job on C-19. trump apologists are reactionaries. They eat the breakfast of pablum while getting the morning talking points via FOX. The 72,000 reasons why trump is dominating the airwaves and these discussions. Just numbers to his supporters.

I was going to start another thread about the corruption of Jared Kushner's management of the C-19 task force acquisition program.

Jared Kushner's shadow coronavirus task force used a spreadsheet called 'VIP Update' to procure PPE from inexperienced Trump allies over legitimate vendors

"Among those prioritized( for government PPE purchases) were the conservative activist Charlie Kirk and a former "Apprentice" contestant, The Times noted."

Trump volunteers kept 'VIP' list of leads for medical supplies: report

In ordinary times a relative of a president appointed to a federal acquisition program by presidential directive. Who then used that position for personal and political advantage. Would result in either FBI or House investigations. But this is the new America. Corruption during a pandemic is just a third page sideshow. For the trump crime family.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Probably about as big a percentage as there are of conservatives who are secretly glad that Covid-19 is mostly impacting the larger, denser, parts of the country that are more heavily Democrat. 

Wendy P.

That's a good point.

I am sure there are those out there that are like that too.

I don't know if the percentages would line up though.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

And "preponderance" does not mean what you think it means, by the way.

If you mean that I added to the excess of Trump/Covid threads that are in great supply - 

I suppose I could have used predominance, if it helps you get the gist.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

If you mean that I added to the excess of Trump/Covid threads that are in great supply - 

I suppose I could have used predominance, if it helps you get the gist.

No, that wouldn't make grammatical or contextual sense either. You know, I had a bet with myself that you wouldn't even be able to admit using the wrong word (totally understandable mistake by the way, I'm sure a lot of people make it) and it looks like I won.

Seems to be the perfect lead in to this, I started listening to a philosophy podcast yesterday and the first episode I heard was explaining a guy called Habermas and a theory called communicative rationality. Among other deeper things one of the main practical ideas involved was that you can't have a genuinely reasoned conversation when one party doesn't believe what they're saying. Further, podcast guy used example of how you can't have a normal conversation when you don't think the other party believes what they're saying.  

And the person that instantly comes to mind, and judging from numerous comments from numerous other forum users the person that would come to mind for at least half the regulars here, is you. A whole bunch of the time you're just posting inflammatory shit to get a rise, or convoluted defenses of Trump that are purely motivated by partisanship and not honest assessment of the facts - but even when you seem to start with a position you genuinely believe you go off the rails as soon as your first error in reason or fact is pointed out because you just can't let anything go. That's why discussions you're involved with always go down the toilet, because you always act in an untrustworthy way.

Whether it starts off as trolling or whether you just get derailled by the irrational defense of some broken part of your post you just can't abandon (and this thread demonstrates both) it always ends up in the same place - total confusion as a result of your dishonest actions. Just a little something to think about.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Why do you wonder that? 

Most people I know are anti-Trump because they want better for Americans and want better for the world. COVID-19 doesn't check any of those boxes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Times are very difficult financially for me. I'd love it if the US and the UK stopped Covid-19 without locking down like how South Korea and Taiwan did.

Sadly, Trump's performance was very predictable. I would have wanted to be wrong about him. Even for climate change, I wish I was wrong and brenthutch was right, that would be SO much easier.

But I'm not stupid. He screwed up, and you should stop denying it.

6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Why do you wonder that? 

Most people I know are anti-Trump because they want better for Americans and want better for the world. COVID-19 doesn't check any of those boxes.

To be honest - I was wondering just how far the sentiment really goes. 

Some posters have mentioned that they would vote for Biden no matter how many rapes he committed, or there abouts.

Yes, that example is about played out.  I was just thinking about how many Anti-Trump treads there are.  That lead me to wonder the true extent of the hate.

I imagined more than just one or two of the haters could wrap their mind around justifying a kind of relief for the added election help Covid-19 is providing.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

And how many Trumpies are thankful for sexual assault.

BTW "preponderance" doesn't mean what you think it does.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Some posters have mentioned that they would vote for Biden no matter how many rapes he committed, or there abouts.

Yes, that example is about played out.  I was just thinking about how many Anti-Trump treads there are.  That lead me to wonder the true extent of the hate.

Those comments are driven by a belief that Biden would be better for Americans as a whole, when compared to Trump.

I thought you were all about seeing the positive in people?

41 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Times are very difficult financially for me. I'd love it if the US and the UK stopped Covid-19 without locking down like how South Korea and Taiwan did.

Sadly, Trump's performance was very predictable. I would have wanted to be wrong about him. Even for climate change, I wish I was wrong and brenthutch was right, that would be SO much easier.

But I'm not stupid. He screwed up, and you should stop denying it.

I'm not denying that he didn't handle things as well as he could have.

He did a lot of things right - but when you hate him - one thing wrong is monumental.

41 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm trying - that is why I'm asking.

Odd then that there wasn't a question mark used anywhere in your post, and the final paragraph was a statement of the negative conclusion you have already made and 'wholeheartedly believe'.

See above about the problem of having a real conversation with someone when you can't trust that anything they say is in good faith.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

He did a lot of things right - but when you hate him - one thing wrong is monumental.

No, hate him or not, his mistakes have resulted in 70,000 dead, and a very deep economic recession. Hating him or loving him doesn't change how monumental that is.

If you're letting your feelings toward him dictate what "monumental" is, you're the one who's biased.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

In reading it, it's dated, although I have no idea how much so.

It states "20 women", yet it's now up to 24 or 26 I think.

Makes you wonder how so many of us make it through life with ZERO such accusations. Weird.

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

No, hate him or not, his mistakes have resulted in 70,000 dead, and a very deep economic recession. Hating him or loving him doesn't change how monumental that is.

If you're letting your feelings toward him dictate what "monumental" is, you're the one who's biased.

Be honest - 

How many dead would there be if he hadn't made any mistakes.