1 1
Phil1111

COVID-19 Donations, trump Zero, Trump International Zero

Wrong AGAIN Jakee. 

I don't have any sockpuppets that I am aware of.

I might have a few funny screen names associated with my account from years and years ago - but none that I even know the password for anymore.

Ask Bill - he can verify my truth.

Then you can apologize for the false accusation.

I'll wait.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Wrong AGAIN Jakee. 

I don't have any sockpuppets that I am aware of.

Ask youself this - why would I believe you when you can't even tell the truth about whether you love or hate vegetables?

Then you can apologize for the false accusation.

I'll wait.

You're joking aren't you? You refuse to apologise even for the intentional lies you tell about other posters and you want an apology for an entirely reasonable assumption? 

A10 pops up out of nowhere, he makes a bunch of posts that are stylistically similar to yours employing some of your favourite rhetorical tricks, and he does it all in a gap between your posts. Seems perfectly reasonable to state that he makes me think of a sockpuppet of you. If you don't like that you can be more honest in your posting habits and, sometime in the future when you've rehabiitated your reputation enough, you won't seem reminiscent of this type of poster anymore.

28 minutes ago, jakee said:

My one sentence replies? That just goes to prove that you haven't even read this thread, let alone anything else on the site. Hmm, what does that level of honesty remind me of... yep, Turtlespeed sockpuppet.

Nope just a new jumper who made an account here a while ago and doesn't spend much time on it...but okay man if you think that im an alternate account of some other clown you've been arguing with, I think you need to step outside of this site for a few hours.... You've got 19K posts, how many of those are accusing people of being fake accounts of people you disagree with? :rofl: seriously

3 minutes ago, jakee said:

Ask youself this - why would I believe you when you can't even tell the truth about whether you love or hate vegetables?

You're joking aren't you? You refuse to apologise even for the intentional lies you tell about other posters and you want an apology for an entirely reasonable assumption? 

A10 pops up out of nowhere, he makes a bunch of posts that are stylistically similar to yours employing some of your favourite rhetorical tricks, and he does it all in a gap between your posts. Seems perfectly reasonable to state that he makes me think of a sockpuppet of you. If you don't like that you can be more honest in your posting habits and, sometime in the future when you've rehabiitated your reputation enough, you won't seem reminiscent of this type of poster anymore.

Hey Jake if it would make you feel better...I have no idea who this turtle guy is, but I'm free from work for a bit if the two of you want to jump on a zoom call and share nudes or something? Seriously this is such an absurd accusation that I'm offering to the both of you to have a group video call, as Im bored, it seems you two must be also, and I really dont like being accused of being a sockpuppet account...

20 minutes ago, a10warthog said:

Hey Jake if it would make you feel better...I have no idea who this turtle guy is, but I'm free from work for a bit if the two of you want to jump on a zoom call and share nudes or something? Seriously this is such an absurd accusation that I'm offering to the both of you to have a group video call, as Im bored, it seems you two must be also, and I really dont like being accused of being a sockpuppet account...

Ha, I don't use zoom but, good offer. Appreciate it;)

8 minutes ago, jakee said:

Ha, I don't use zoom but, good offer. Appreciate it;)

Understood, I work in cybersecurity and if you're paranoid like myself Zoom is a bit of a self induced stab wound every time you have to login...all of that to say, Im not that turtle dude, I dont appreciate being called someones sockpuppet, and am more than willing to prove it if your work day is also over and you're looking for something to do. blue skies

3 minutes ago, a10warthog said:

all of that to say, Im not that turtle dude, I dont appreciate being called someones sockpuppet, and am more than willing to prove it if your work day is also over and you're looking for something to do. blue skies

Nah that's cool. But keep in mind that most other people aren't going to appreciate being told that mental health professionals would call their posting habits unhealthy. That's not the kind of behaviour that is going to encourage people to treat you in a way that you do appreciate. Give and take, yeah?

6 hours ago, Coreece said:

Each time I was replying to someone specific, not starting new threads like you and then talking to myself when nobody replied.:p

My comments had nothing to do with Trump. 

It's very simple, the U.K, France, Spain, Italy, and Belgium have covid fatality and per capita death rates that are 2-3 times higher than the U.S, so you can't really say things like "the U.S got the worst of it in the whole entire world!"

So has Sweden, which a whole lot of people are holding up as a model for the USA. 

And don't forget that UK, France, Spain, etc. each have a far higher population density than the USA, more comparable to NY or CA than the country as a whole.

7 minutes ago, kallend said:

And don't forget that UK, France, Spain, etc. each have a far higher population density than the USA, more comparable to NY or CA than the country as a whole.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a key factor.

Wendy P.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, kallend said:

Here in densely populated Silicon Valley, home of what was likely the first US Covid case, we only have 40% of the deaths per capita as Stark County, Ohio.   The US now has more cases per capita than Italy, France, Germany, UK, Netherlands.

Edited by headoverheels

16 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Here in densely populated Silicon Valley, home of what was likely the first US Covid case, we only have 40% of the deaths per capita as Stark County, Ohio.   The US now has more cases per capita than Italy, France, Germany, UK, Netherlands.

This gap will continue to widen I believe, other than maybe The Netherlands, who have taken a different approach. The US is still very much on the upswing, and with the opening of the country the growth of the virus will continue. The many other countries will flatten the curve a lot more.

6 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Portugal tests 95% more per cap than the US

Spain tests 82% more

Belgium tests 74% more

Italy tests 60% more

"Belgium, France, and the Netherlands have been adapting their enumeration methods to account for suspected COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes and residential care centers.

As compared to the US where the CDC only reports C-19 mortality when tests confirm it.

In part, what prompted these accounting changes were increases in total mortality in certain regions which were more than twice the number of deaths officially attributed to COVID-19"

All of these points have been made in at least a half dozen posts my myself, billvon, Kallend and others. Reading comprehension of some seems to be a repetitive issue. I suspect a propensity to "skim" and a complete indifference to self education beyond a structured setting.

22 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

In part, what prompted these accounting changes were increases in total mortality in certain regions which were more than twice the number of deaths officially attributed to COVID-19"

I've seen reports of that (increase over usual death rate much higher than reported virus deaths) for the UK as well.

Back on topic, I passed my $1200 stimulus onward to a local charity doing Covid assistance (food, small business).   I will also point out that donation of appreciated assets to charity is a way to give them more, without it costing you more.  Last year, I donated some stock shares that were worth ~6x what I paid for them.  Had I sold the shares instead, and made my usual donation, I would have had to pay taxes on 5/6th of the amount, reducing the amount available for donation.  I don't much pay income tax these days, but for those of you who do it is a valuable consideration.

30 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Portugal tests 95% more per cap than the US

Spain tests 82% more

Belgium tests 74% more

Italy tests 60% more

"Belgium, France, and the Netherlands have been adapting their enumeration methods to account for suspected COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes and residential care centers.

As compared to the US where the CDC only reports C-19 mortality when tests confirm it.

All of these points have been made in at least a half dozen posts my myself, billvon, Kallend and others. Reading comprehension of some seems to be a repetitive issue. I suspect a propensity to "skim" and a complete indifference to self education beyond a structured setting.

We also see repeated comparisons with seasonal flu.  They completely ignore that the reporting criteria for a flu death are loosey-goosey, leading to  overcounting.  The exact opposite is true for CV-19.

(It really needs a more catchy name.  Unfortunately "Black Death" has already been taken.)

34 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Reading comprehension of some seems to be a repetitive issue. I suspect a propensity to "skim" and a complete indifference to self education beyond a structured setting.

That's funny because your article goes on to say that:

"This week state, county, and municipal officials have begun rectifying the problem of underreporting of COVID-19 deaths by adding to the tally deaths that have occurred at home or in nursing homes and are presumed to be caused by COVID-19."

-And-

"Belgium, France and the Netherlands have been adapting their enumeration methods to account for suspected COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes and residential care centers."

...And then this:

"In the U.K., for example, numbers of COVID-19 deaths are underreported as people who die at home or in nursing homes are not included in the count. The U.K. government only includes people who tested positive for the coronavirus and subsequently died in hospital."

What was that you were saying about comprehension and skimming?   Maybe you should add Trump Derangement Syndrome to that list as well.

2 hours ago, a10warthog said:

Understood, I work in cybersecurity and if you're paranoid like myself Zoom is a bit of a self induced stab wound every time you have to login...all of that to say, Im not that turtle dude, I dont appreciate being called someones sockpuppet, and am more than willing to prove it if your work day is also over and you're looking for something to do. blue skies

What do you mean by "work in cybersecurity"?

Specifically speaking, just curious as I'm quite interested in that field of work.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

We also see repeated comparisons with seasonal flu.  They completely ignore that the reporting criteria for a flu death are loosey-goosey, leading to  overcounting.  The exact opposite is true for CV-19.

(It really needs a more catchy name.  Unfortunately "Black Death" has already been taken.)

"Orange Death" is still available.

13 hours ago, jakee said:

Orders? This is a discussion. You put forward your point of view because you wanted it to be heard. You have been defending it because you want to be believed. You now avoid the central question because...

I didn't ask you to answer that question because I want to tell you what to do, I asked because it's the single key point in question. You're not avoiding it to prove 'I'm not the boss of you' - that's just empty bluff and bluster. You're avoiding it because you can't answer it, but at the same time you can't possibly just say "oh yeah, I was wrong". So you just try this boring twist, obfuscate and avoid thing again. Wouldn't it be easier to just give a genuine answer to the question like a normal person having a discussion?

Bill is right. His sole aim of posting is to rule people. You’ll never get anywhere trying to get sense out of him. I reckon if you posted a positive about Trump he’d probably find issue with it!

15 hours ago, a10warthog said:

I'm good with that.

(edited)
12 hours ago, headoverheels said:

I've seen reports of that (increase over usual death rate much higher than reported virus deaths) for the UK as well.

Back on topic, I passed my $1200 stimulus onward to a local charity doing Covid assistance (food, small business).   I will also point out that donation of appreciated assets to charity is a way to give them more, without it costing you more.  Last year, I donated some stock shares that were worth ~6x what I paid for them.  Had I sold the shares instead, and made my usual donation, I would have had to pay taxes on 5/6th of the amount, reducing the amount available for donation.  I don't much pay income tax these days, but for those of you who do it is a valuable consideration.

Nice.  That's great work.

I usually just go by Sam's and pick up as much canned goods as my truck will hold, and deliver them to the food banks.  

If I wasn't travelling in South Carolina, I'd be doing that this weekend.  Instead I have a friend of mine doing smaller loads in a car.

Edited by turtlespeed

47 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I thought you wanted to be better than me.

What makes you think I'd use you as a measuring stick for my own behaviour? Anyway, again, I've asked you for apologies when you've made accusations that you knew were false at the time you made them. But when someone pops up out of nowhere on the same side of the argument as you and uses the same "I was only asking a question" weaselling as you it's perfectly reasonable to think it might be you. Looks like it wasn't so I was wrong, but that's all you're getting - and we both know it's more than you'd give if the roles were reversed.

14 hours ago, kallend said:
20 hours ago, Coreece said:

It's very simple, the U.K, France, Spain, Italy, and Belgium have covid fatality and per capita death rates that are 2-3 times higher than the U.S, so you can't really say things like "the U.S got the worst of it in the whole entire world!"

And don't forget that UK, France, Spain, etc. each have a far higher population density than the USA

I didn't- we were just talking about that in another thread

I even think I was one of the first posters to refer to pop density when I said "wouldn't it be more meaningful to compare geographical areas that are more similar in square mileage and population"

15 hours ago, kallend said:

more comparable to NY or CA than the country as a whole.

I think those would be much more meaningful comparisons as I suggested above. 

On that note, why do you think that the EU countries in question have covid fatality rates that are about 2-4 times higher than NY or CA?

And again, I'm not trying to criticize Europe.  I've also mentioned how the U.S could surpass all European rates if we're not careful.  One concern is that we haven't shut down interstate travel.  That would be like allowing open travel throughout the entire Schengen area.  And while that may not be as risky in the U.S given it's lower pop density, it could very well take much longer for U.S to contain it, eventually resulting in higher overall rates.