crllarena

Skyhelmet Fujin worth it?

1 hour ago, DougH said:

never heard of it. that should be your first clue.

It doesn’t mean it’s a bad helmet. It’s german manufacturing, therefore quite normal you have not heard of it in the US.

it’s the only helmet I know with a carbon fiber shell (considering the G2 is not built anymore).

you should check it out https://www.facebook.com/Skyhelmets-210211255784088/

Last time I was in the tunnel, maybe half a year ago, I saw some instructors with those. They wear them a lot, and seem to like them better than a G3. They also look very well made, from a distance at least.

9 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

Why is a carbon fiber shell critical to you?

Protection, durability, weight and design. In that order.

7 hours ago, evh said:

Last time I was in the tunnel, maybe half a year ago, I saw some instructors with those. They wear them a lot, and seem to like them better than a G3. They also look very well made, from a distance at least.

In Europe they are becoming more and more popular and people seem to love them, therefore looking for someone that already owns one. Unfortunately their lead time is 2 months

They are quieter than G3s. The people I know that have them (in Belgium) are quite happy with it. They do have an audible pocket, and from what I remember, they have some sort of impact protection certification, similarly to G4s or TonFly TFX. To my knowledge, these are the only 3 skydiving full face helmets with some sort of certification. I don't know the details of the certification though.

They get scratched quite easily though, so the shiny finish don't last long if you are not careful. And after heavy use the strap starts tearing up. I have seen that in one of the first batches, maybe they corrected that already. I have never seen that in G3s

The protection they offer is mainly because of the padding they have, nothing to do with the carbon fibre shell. I don't know why people keep associating carbon fibre with protection. Some people even "show it off" by comparing how ABS shells buckle and how carbon fibre shells don't. That has nothing to do with protection. A steel pot doesn't buckle either, but you don't want that on your head.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

Why is a carbon fiber shell critical to you?

Probably because carbonfibre is ridiculusly strong for its weight. So for the same strenght you get a lighter helmet, or for the same weight you can get a much stronger helmet.

I'm not entirely sure that this translates to better protection tough, since strength is just one of the many material parameters that affect impact resistance.

unnamed.jpg

8 hours ago, crllarena said:

Protection, durability, weight and design. In that order.

In Europe they are becoming more and more popular and people seem to love them, therefore looking for someone that already owns one. Unfortunately their lead time is 2 months

High strength to weight ratio does not mean high ability to absorb impact. I would expect carbon fiber composites to not do well in terms of toughness (area under the stress strain curve). My memory was that they are relatively easily damaged by dropping on a concrete surface for instance. The damage from such an impact is not just aesthetic damage, it significantly reduces the strength. Please correct me if my impression is wrong.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Deimian said:

They are quieter than G3s. The people I know that have them (in Belgium) are quite happy with it. They do have an audible pocket, and from what I remember, they have some sort of impact protection certification, similarly to G4s or TonFly TFX. To my knowledge, these are the only 3 skydiving full face helmets with some sort of certification. I don't know the details of the certification though.

They get scratched quite easily though, so the shiny finish don't last long if you are not careful. And after heavy use the strap starts tearing up. I have seen that in one of the first batches, maybe they corrected that already. I have never seen that in G3s

The protection they offer is mainly because of the padding they have, nothing to do with the carbon fibre shell. I don't know why people keep associating carbon fibre with protection. Some people even "show it off" by comparing how ABS shells buckle and how carbon fibre shells don't. That has nothing to do with protection. A steel pot doesn't buckle either, but you don't want that on your head.

Thank you for the information. The fact that they scratch is quite a bummer but I guess they all do eventually

Edited by crllarena

On 4/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, crllarena said:

Thank you for the information. The fact that they scratch is quite a bummer but I guess they all do eventually

The carbon fiber is strong but that just means the force is transferred to your head.  One issue is that if they do break they are very sharp.  A friend's scalp was severely sliced by a broken Bonehead carbon fiber helmet.  Broken during a severe freefall collision.

Had one of these for almost 3 years now - my only complaint is the visor removal - you have to peel off the side stickers which also function as a retainer for the philips screws under neath - if you do not stick it back on, the screws can loosen to the point where you will end up falling out , along with the visor. Other than that - find someone that has one and try it on - their sizing chart is made for ppl with tiny itty bitty headz.

Major pluses   the liner can be completely removed if you want to wash it, the overall build is panzer (see what I did there), and being able to crack open from either side for ventilation is awesome (esp. under canopy on a cold day) .