gowlerk

TI Covid-19 poll

Are you willing to do tandems?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to do tandems despite social distancing recommendation?

• Yes
    • No

Similar to the sport jumper poll in the general Forum. When the DZ you do tandems at reopens are you going to be willing to harness up and jump with strangers? In the context that social distancing is still recommended. If you like, please post if you are older, younger, depend on tandem income, or any other factors that you will use to decide.

Personally I'm 63 years old and I'm a partner with others in our DZ. So I have real skin in the game and I'm thinking I don't want to take that kind of chance.

That's an interesting position for you to be in. Being invested in the dz, you'll want tandems to resume when they can, but if you're unwilling to do them yourself, how will you feel about allowing others to?...

Another factor is headwear. Most TI's, like most jumpers these days, wear full face helmets. Other TI's wear open face, or no helmet at all. Some old schoolers still wear frap hats. Myself, I've never liked full face, I always liked the wind in my face. Being old school (my 41-year anniversary was Saturday), I was a frap hat guy for most of that time. Some years ago I finally went to open face helmet for AFF and fun jumps, but still wore a frap hat for tandems. So a question would be, and I suppose the answer would vary for different helmets, is how much air gets in under the neck of a full face. My thought is that the full face would protect you from most of the wind (their breath), but what does get in would remain trapped in there, perhaps making it more likely that you'll inhale it. Hmmm...

(edited)

I don't think a full face will do shit! Most are vented to keep the visor from fogging. The airflow in freefall is going to be coming up from the student. I have cleaned some nasty snot off my full face visor from students that didn't have the common sense to reschedule their jump despite being sick, or the courtesy to disclose that extra information to me.

Jump with a full face and a customer who chain smokes cigarretes, or has a unique body odor due to ethnic food, and you will still smell it in freefall, sometimes more than when you were sitting in the plane. Blech. >.<

You also have to consider the plane ride to altitude.

Edited by DougH

(edited)

I dont think it matters. there arnt going to be that many tandems for a long time. It's not exactly tourist season considering current world events.I think DZs are going to be running lean for awhile. Fun jumpers will take a larger portion of the market share for a bit.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)

A review of the situation:

Nothing substantial has changed biologically regarding the coronavirus.  It still is happy to infect whenever and wherever it finds a host.  There is not yet a proven safe & effective vaccine available, although that will eventually change.  The only reason numbers currently are down is due to us starving the virus of new victims. As new hosts become available, the numbers will rise, especially the easier we make it for the virus to find a warm, moist host.  

We do not yet know everything about this virus, but we do know this one is especially contagious.  Masks by themselves are proven not sufficient to stop infection. Good masks, goggles/face shields, 6' distance, frequent hand washing, avoiding eyes/mouth/nose contact with infected media, all together help in greatly reducing risk of infection, but may not be totally effective 100%.

One can be infected but asymptomatic and spread the virus unaware to family, friends and co-workers.  Symptoms vary, and can take a week or more to manifest, if at all.  In some cases, hospitalization may follow about a week later, sedated intubation may follow a week after that.  In extreme cases, death may follow quickly, or take weeks, or one may recover completely quickly or slowly, or recovery may result in lingering, perhaps permanent damage to certain organs and/or senses.  The elderly and health-compromised are most at risk, but victims can come in any age and health status.  Recovering survivors of those sick enough to be hospitalized describe an extremely unpleasent experience.

As skydivers, we are used to understanding risks and devising technology, methodology and training to mitigate those risks.  Good luck is always welcome, but we know better than to rely on it, because we know just how unreliable luck is.  

With careful and committed mitigation, we may know just enough to safely resume sport jumping, perhaps even student jumps.  I am not at all convinced we yet know enough to safely resume Tandem jumping.  For those choosing to Tandem jump at this time, please let us know the mitigation protocols you've implemented and how they are working.  Any obvious symptoms should start manifesting some 2 weeks following infection.  

Edited by skyguyscott
  • Like 3