1 1
kallend

Pity for the USA

On 5/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, gowlerk said:

In 1968 the people were finally getting through to the politicians that the war in SE Asia and the draft was no longer acceptable. The black community was finally getting through to white society that they would no longer tolerate the treatment they were receiving. America was not on the verge of collapse, it was on the verge of one of its greatest periods ever.

I think you just shined a mirror on his values.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DJL said:

I think you just shined a mirror on his values.

It was pretty easy considering how he just displayed them. People were also very divided at that period of time. Maybe even more than now. Because real change was "blowin' in the wind".

16 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It was pretty easy considering how he just displayed them. People were also very divided at that period of time. Maybe even more than now. Because real change was "blowin' in the wind".

There's also the reality that racism wasn't hidden back then.

It was socially acceptable to, say, stand on the steps of a school and proclaim that no black person will ever walk through these doors.

That sort of thing went out of fashion for a long time.

But it never went away.

One thing the Mango Mussolini did was give those people permission to climb out of their caves and crawl out from under their rocks and give voice to their hatred & bigotry.
Those people who were utterly enraged by the idea that one of 'those people' was in the White House.

Its one of the reasons he has such strong approval from a dedicated minority.

(edited)
10 hours ago, airdvr said:

I should just ignore those posts but I cant' really so I'll just say fuck off.

No argument? Probably because it's true.

I knew an elderly man in our building, extremely right wing, conspiracy theorist, Brexit supporter, Trump supporter and all that. Listening to him I started to realise that a lot of his complaints centred around his life pretty much staying the same as in the 70s, but when he saw the lives of ethnic minorities and people in developing countries start to improve, he thought he was falling behind and that made him really angry.

Airdvr, you're not falling behind if that's what you're thinking. A rising tide floats all boats. You'll just have to get used to a bit more equality.

Edited by olofscience

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

I knew an elderly man in our building, extremely right wing, conspiracy theorist, Brexit supporter, Trump supporter and all that. Listening to him I started to realise that a lot of his complaints centred around his life pretty much staying the same as in the 70s, but when he saw the lives of ethnic minorities and people in developing countries start to improve, he thought he was falling behind and that made him really angry.

Airdvr, you're not falling behind if that's what you're thinking. A rising tide floats all boats. You'll just have to get used to a bit more equality.

You're focusing on the core rationale of populist supporters. A penny in taxes goes directly to Black, Brown, immigrants who all freeload on the state. Helping corporations with bailouts, nuclear carrier battle groups on the other had are conditioned into thinking as necessary.

The concept of a common good of all citizens that exists in the Nordic countries is just communism.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

You're focusing on the core rationale of populist supporters. A penny in taxes goes directly to Black, Brown, immigrants who all freeload on the state. Helping corporations with bailouts, nuclear carrier battle groups on the other had are conditioned into thinking as necessary.

The concept of a common good of all citizens that exists in the Nordic countries is just communism.

Commonly expressed more simply in the UK as  "I've got mine Jack".

13 hours ago, olofscience said:

So what you're saying is people need to be assassinated in order for their to be change to the good?  M'kay.

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

So what you're saying is people need to be assassinated in order for their to be change to the good?  M'kay.

You're going to need to explain how you managed to reach that conclusion.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, DJL said:

In 1968 the people were finally getting through to the politicians that the war in SE Asia and the draft was no longer acceptable. The black community was finally getting through to white society that they would no longer tolerate the treatment they were receiving. America was not on the verge of collapse, it was on the verge of one of its greatest periods ever.

Well, in trying to convince me that 1968 was a great time he must have missed the assassinations.  

And, I don't recall the 70's being all that great here either.

If you were African American the 70’s beat the 60’s most of the time. Likewise if you were a woman who didn’t aspire to marry and start having babies ASAP. Many more choices in life, much more self-determination, for both. 
Wendy P. 

29 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Your claim was that America was "on the verge of collapse". I'm not sure about anything in the arc of your life, but from where I sit (just north of North Dakota), both here and in Canada that period includes some of the most exciting and dynamic developments in history.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Well, in trying to convince me that 1968 was a great time he must have missed the assassinations.  

I don't recall trying to convince you that 68 was 'great'. 

Just that we weren't closer to the 'verge of collapse' than we are now.

Besides, 68 saw man reach the moon (not land on it, but get there). 
It also was the year of the Shelby Mustang GT 500 KR edition. 

16 hours ago, airdvr said:

Right.  And he's saying that he wants innocent children to die.  That's the only reasonable interpretation of his words.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, gowlerk said:

In 1968 the people were finally getting through to the politicians that the war in SE Asia and the draft was no longer acceptable. The black community was finally getting through to white society that they would no longer tolerate the treatment they were receiving.

and the Tigers won the world series

• Like 1

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

So you believe the civil rights act brought the country to the verge of collapse?

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No...I'm saying the assassinations and subsequent rioting was tearing the country apart.  How many died in the riots?

You tried to say that Olof supported assassinations - something neither of you had even mentioned - because he said '68 wasn't so bad. If you want to stick to that argument you're going to have to accept that it applies equally to you, and if you think '68 was so bad you must be opposed to the civil rights act, even though you hadn't mentioned it and there was no indication you were talking about it.

Your attempt to paint me as a racist won't work, so you might as well stop.  

I'm not trying to paint you as a racist, I;m trying to paint you as a guy who is using absurdly bad logic.