1 1
kallend

Pity for the USA

5 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That is simply not true.

I resent that.

Then do something about it. Be better. Post things you really believe. Post things that reflect your actual values and not just your partisanship. Acknowledge when you make mistakes. Present your personality here in a better way.

16 hours ago, jakee said:

Then do something about it. Be better. Post things you really believe. Post things that reflect your actual values and not just your partisanship. Acknowledge when you make mistakes. Present your personality here in a better way.

I agree! It’s pretty clear now that it is all about stirring the pot

8 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's been very clear for a very long time.

Why do you think so few people actually respond?

Agreed. I always try and see the good in people and for a long time I defended him. 

Considering the conversation style of the Trump supporters, it’s no wonder they don’t have a problem with Trumps word salads, they are all very similar.

• Like 1

https://trendswide.com/opinion-the-world-is-taking-pity-on-us/

.. . . . . . . .

“The United States reacted like Pakistan or Belarus, like a country with a shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering.” That’s the indictment of The Atlantic’s George Packer, calling the United States a failed state.

A country that turned out eight combat aircraft every hour at the peak of World War II could not even produce enough 75-cent masks or simple cotton nasal swabs for testing in this pandemic.

A country that showed the world how to defeat polio now promotes quack remedies involving household disinfectants from the presidential podium.

A country that rescued postwar Europe with the Marshall Plan didn’t even bother to show up this week at the teleconference of global leaders pledging contributions for a coronavirus vaccine.

A country that sent George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower to crush the Nazis now fights a war against a viral killer with Jared Kushner, a feckless failed real estate speculator who holds power by virtue of his marriage to the president’s daughter.

Let’s not put too much of the blame on Kushner. After all, he’s also got Middle East peace, the border wall, the opioid crisis and reinventing the government on his plate. “Who’s in charge of it?” Trump said recently, about the “Warp Speed” vaccine development program. “Honestly? I am. I’ll tell you, I’m really in charge of it.”

Well, then: Where is the test and trace program needed to safely reopen the country? Where is the national plan even to consider such an effort? Trump has surrendered. He never looked smaller or more pathetic than when sitting last Sunday on his little chair in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

America has a failed federal government, laughed at and pitied the world over. But America is not a failed state. It will be saved by its scientists and doctors, its hospitals and universities, its nimble and creative companies, and leaders in the statehouses who act more decisively than the family of frauds in the White House.

34 minutes ago, kallend said:

.. . . . . . . .

“The United States reacted like Pakistan or Belarus, like a country with a shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering.” That’s the indictment of The Atlantic’s George Packer, calling the United States a failed state.

A country that turned out eight combat aircraft every hour at the peak of World War II could not even produce enough 75-cent masks or simple cotton nasal swabs for testing in this pandemic.

A country that showed the world how to defeat polio now promotes quack remedies involving household disinfectants from the presidential podium.

A country that rescued postwar Europe with the Marshall Plan didn’t even bother to show up this week at the teleconference of global leaders pledging contributions for a coronavirus vaccine.

A country that sent George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower to crush the Nazis now fights a war against a viral killer with Jared Kushner, a feckless failed real estate speculator who holds power by virtue of his marriage to the president’s daughter.

Let’s not put too much of the blame on Kushner. After all, he’s also got Middle East peace, the border wall, the opioid crisis and reinventing the government on his plate. “Who’s in charge of it?” Trump said recently, about the “Warp Speed” vaccine development program. “Honestly? I am. I’ll tell you, I’m really in charge of it.”

Well, then: Where is the test and trace program needed to safely reopen the country? Where is the national plan even to consider such an effort? Trump has surrendered. He never looked smaller or more pathetic than when sitting last Sunday on his little chair in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

America has a failed federal government, laughed at and pitied the world over. But America is not a failed state. It will be saved by its scientists and doctors, its hospitals and universities, its nimble and creative companies, and leaders in the statehouses who act more decisively than the family of frauds in the White House.

While we have citizens that are celebrating these failures, the ignorant and unqualified people in the administration, and the destruction and dysfunction in many, many federal departments.

It's heartbreaking to see so many Americans excited over the collapse of the country.

4 hours ago, normiss said:

It's heartbreaking to see so many Americans excited over the collapse of the country.

Collapse?  Get real.  If you want to see a country on the verge of collapse I suggest you look at the US in 1968.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

.. . . . . . . .

4 hours ago, normiss said:

While we have citizens that are celebrating these failures, the ignorant and unqualified people in the administration, and the destruction and dysfunction in many, many federal departments.

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Collapse?  Get real.  If you want to see a country on the verge of collapse I suggest you look at the US in 1968.

I remember the US in 68. Now "On March 24, 2020, the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, to not much fanfare, predicted that unemployment in the United States was about to skyrocket to a point higher than that reached at the peak of the Great Depression: 32 percent." Its now about 25% including those who have given up looking.

America Is On Track For A $4 Trillion Deficit In 2020. Should It Matter?   That would be 20% of GDP. State budget shortfalls this time around could total more than $500 billion in a single year, and cities and states across the country are sounding the alarm. The total with individual states, the US federal deficit and US cities. Will likely total another $1 trillion.

So 23-26% of GDP deficit and unemployment at the lowest since 1933. Do you want to rephrase your 1968 opinion. Oh and by the end of this month, year to date, more Americans will die of C-19 than every American killed in EVERY war since WWll.

So yeah this thread is appropriately titled.

But in November the sun will shine on the eastern seaboard of the US. It will get better as hope and optimism will sweep across America. People will stand in the streets waving little American flags.

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Really?

I was to young to actually remember it, but I know what happened.

The rule of law was still in place. While it wasn't fully available to many minorities, the idea that certain politicians were completely above the law wasn't accepted. It happened (Ted Kennedy comes to mind), but it wasn't flaunted.

Voting rights were being promoted and advanced, not clamped down upon.

While Johnson was pretty much a piece of garbage, he didn't give the country to a foreign power. Or put totally incompetent people and family members in postions of power (McNamara not withstanding). 

There are quite a few smart people who see what's going on as comparable to what happened shortly before the Civil War, the gilded age before the turn on the 20th century, or the Hoover administration right before the Great Depression.
Right now, there are a very few very, very, very rich people who are doing whatever they can to control the country. McConnel's Senate has put more of their people in federal judgeships than any in history. 
The suppression of voting rights is worse than any time since the Civil Rights era (maybe worse). 

The idea that the President is not accoutable to the law is very frightening. He thinks he can do whatever he wants. To withhold vital supplies from states (and even confiscate them) unless the governor is 'nice' to him. To tell the head of the FBI to shut down a criminal investigation, then fire him if Trump doesn't get what he wants. 

It's all pushing us to the edge of a real collapse. Toss in the pandemic and anything can happen.

"In a test result he called 'a tremendous relief,' AG Barr has tested negative for integrity, Barr confirmed.

Barr submitted to the test after learning he'd come into contact with career DOJ prosecutors found to be integrity carriers."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Really?

I was to young to actually remember it, but I know what happened.

The rule of law was still in place. While it wasn't fully available to many minorities, the idea that certain politicians were completely above the law wasn't accepted. It happened (Ted Kennedy comes to mind), but it wasn't flaunted.

Voting rights were being promoted and advanced, not clamped down upon.

While Johnson was pretty much a piece of garbage, he didn't give the country to a foreign power. Or put totally incompetent people and family members in postions of power (McNamara not withstanding). 

There are quite a few smart people who see what's going on as comparable to what happened shortly before the Civil War, the gilded age before the turn on the 20th century, or the Hoover administration right before the Great Depression.
Right now, there are a very few very, very, very rich people who are doing whatever they can to control the country. McConnel's Senate has put more of their people in federal judgeships than any in history. 
The suppression of voting rights is worse than any time since the Civil Rights era (maybe worse). 

The idea that the President is not accoutable to the law is very frightening. He thinks he can do whatever he wants. To withhold vital supplies from states (and even confiscate them) unless the governor is 'nice' to him. To tell the head of the FBI to shut down a criminal investigation, then fire him if Trump doesn't get what he wants. 

It's all pushing us to the edge of a real collapse. Toss in the pandemic and anything can happen.

Bobby Kennedy assasinated.  MLK assassinated.  Rule of law?  I think some of the protesters outside of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago might have a different viewpoint.  i don't think the Trump years even come close.

https://www.archives.gov/news/topics/1968-a-year-of-turmoil-and-change

33 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Rule of law?  I think some of the protesters outside of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago might have a different viewpoint. 

Perhaps.  The family of Heather Heyer might not agree with them.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Really?.....

I was to young to actually remember it, but I know what happened....

I think real estate sales must be OK. Because perception here seems pretty rosy for some. Or maybe he has a inside to republican referrals to buy mega-mansions. Yeah juicy $50K double ending commissions will do that. Or to take advantage of Florida's laws. Republicans might see bankruptcy on the horizon and "be like trump".

On 5/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, airdvr said:

In 1968 the people were finally getting through to the politicians that the war in SE Asia and the draft was no longer acceptable. The black community was finally getting through to white society that they would no longer tolerate the treatment they were receiving. America was not on the verge of collapse, it was on the verge of one of its greatest periods ever.

It is also not on the verge of collapse at the moment, but it is headed in an unpredictable direction. If you can't see the potential  danger in the irrational behavior and general lawlessness of the current administration you are being willfully blind. 

So President ShitForBrains announced he has cut funding for the Chinese Wuhan lab. What he in fact cut funding for was a US organization that researches emerging viruses around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EcoHealth_Alliance

"60 Minutes" story tonight:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-politics-scientific-community-60-minutes-2020-05-10/