1 1
kallend

Pity for the USA

21 minutes ago, jakee said:

Not too keen on the blue dining room and some of the upholstery is a little too avant gard for me but overall yeah, looks like taste is just another thing she does far better than Don. Thanks for pointing it out.

And by the way, she earned what she used to buy that place, Don inherited. He's born into the modern elite aristocracy, she's the working woman made good.

Yeah but it only counts when you constantly say: "I am rich", if it isn't constantly said it doesn't really exist. 

Similar to: if it isn't on video it didn't happen.

27 minutes ago, jakee said:

Ah yes, the true sign of someone who knows he has nothing worthwhile to say. I accept your concession of defeat.

That would be assuming I care about whether you've defeated me.  Your whole posting style is like someone with a hammer.  I know it makes you feel superior.  Glad I could help.

42 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Hehe..I couldn't give 2 fucks about HRC anymore.  I'm not the one who posted her picture.

You apparently give a LOT of fucks about HRC, given how eager you are to talk about her whenever she's brought up.  In this very thread you complained that people were talking about Trump, not HRC like you wanted to.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You believe him to be arrogant.  I don't. 

Unpolished? He is indeed unpolished, but that does not rule out arrogant, he is both. DJT is practically the definition of arrogant.

ar·ro·gant
adjective
adjective: arrogant
  1. having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
    "he's arrogant and opinionated"

How can you read this definition and not see that he is arrogant? These are synonyms of the word:

All or at least most apply the your asshole POTUS.

Antonyms of arrogant include the following:

humble

modest

shy

timid

unsure

meek

servile

unconceited

No one would use any of these words to describe him.

How can you possibly not believe he is arrogant? It beggars belief. I assume you are not stupid, so you must be trumping us.

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

That would be assuming I care about whether you've defeated me.  Your whole posting style is like someone with a hammer.  I know it makes you feel superior.  Glad I could help.

You just described an entire swathe of the electorate as sheeple and you're accusing me of wanting to feel superior? Wake up, dude. 

And that's what I want. I don't want to defeat you (though non-ironic use of the word sheeple in a discussion about arrogance cannot be taken any other way), I want you to open your eyes and see the world as it is. Though since in the Covid thread you just started erroneously arguing against your own source as soon as you realised it didn't say what you wanted it to, there's obviously a lot of work to do there.

35 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Unpolished? He is indeed unpolished, but that does not rule out arrogant, he is both. DJT is practically the definition of arrogant....

How can you possibly not believe he is arrogant? It beggars belief. I assume you are not stupid, so you must be trumping us.

He is a wealthy peasant. Zero class. Look at the pictures of his apartment with all the fake gold appointments.

There is a new psychological paradigm of trumpism. All 38 percent of trump supporters are not stupid and for certain some smart ones are not on SC. Not to insult the posters here that support trump. Because clearly most have to say and admit. That they know trump lies about everything. That they know he is stupid. His intellectual curiosity, zero.

But that they support him for other reasons that they cannot admit. Reasons that they don't understand. Or that they they are too embarrassed to disclose.

This will help. The Mass Psychology of Trumpism by Eli Zaretsky

'the members of a group stand in need of the illusion that they are equally and justly loved by their leader; but the leader himself need love no one else, he [must] be of a masterful nature, absolutely narcissistic, self-confident and independent.

Hitler, Mussolini, Ataturk and even De Gaulle fit this model, as they drew on mass media, parades, sporting events and film to project themselves as father figures to enthralled nations....

One might object that Trump, a billionaire TV star, does not resemble his followers. But this misses the powerful intimacy that he establishes with them, at rallies, on TV and on Twitter. Part of his malicious genius lies in his ability to forge a bond with people who are otherwise excluded from the world to which he belongs. Even as he cast Hillary Clinton as the tool of international finance, he said:

I do deals – big deals – all the time. I know and work with all the toughest operators in the world of high-stakes global finance. These are hard-driving, vicious cut-throat financial killers, the kind of people who leave blood all over the boardroom table and fight to the bitter end to gain maximum advantage.

With these words he brought his followers into the boardroom with him and encouraged them to take part in a shared, cynical exposure of the soiled motives and practices that lie behind wealth. His role in the Birther movement, the prelude to his successful presidential campaign, was not only racist, but also showed that he was at home with the most ignorant, benighted, prejudiced people in America"

28 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

He is a wealthy peasant. Zero class. Look at the pictures of his apartment with all the fake gold appointments.

There is a new psychological paradigm of trumpism. All 38 percent of trump supporters are not stupid and for certain some smart ones are not on SC. Not to insult the posters here that support trump. Because clearly most have to say and admit. That they know trump lies about everything. That they know he is stupid. His intellectual curiosity, zero.

But that they support him for other reasons that they cannot admit. Reasons that they don't understand. Or that they they are too embarrassed to disclose.

This will help. The Mass Psychology of Trumpism by Eli Zaretsky

'the members of a group stand in need of the illusion that they are equally and justly loved by their leader; but the leader himself need love no one else, he [must] be of a masterful nature, absolutely narcissistic, self-confident and independent.

Hitler, Mussolini, Ataturk and even De Gaulle fit this model, as they drew on mass media, parades, sporting events and film to project themselves as father figures to enthralled nations....

One might object that Trump, a billionaire TV star, does not resemble his followers. But this misses the powerful intimacy that he establishes with them, at rallies, on TV and on Twitter. Part of his malicious genius lies in his ability to forge a bond with people who are otherwise excluded from the world to which he belongs. Even as he cast Hillary Clinton as the tool of international finance, he said:

I do deals – big deals – all the time. I know and work with all the toughest operators in the world of high-stakes global finance. These are hard-driving, vicious cut-throat financial killers, the kind of people who leave blood all over the boardroom table and fight to the bitter end to gain maximum advantage.

With these words he brought his followers into the boardroom with him and encouraged them to take part in a shared, cynical exposure of the soiled motives and practices that lie behind wealth. His role in the Birther movement, the prelude to his successful presidential campaign, was not only racist, but also showed that he was at home with the most ignorant, benighted, prejudiced people in America"

So Trump supporters are not stupid, they just like to be lied to. IMHO, if you like to be lied to, you are stupid.

57 minutes ago, kallend said:

Explain this:

Easy, that's just shooting from the hip. You can't judge him merely on a vast multitude of extremely similar statements - they were all made in the heat of the moment, that's totally unfair. Not like that one photo of Hillary, clearly her expression in that single instant defines her entire character.

16 hours ago, airdvr said:

You believe him to be arrogant.  I don't. 

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Easy, that's just shooting from the hip. You can't judge him merely on a vast multitude of extremely similar statements - they were all made in the heat of the moment, that's totally unfair. Not like that one photo of Hillary, clearly her expression in that single instant defines her entire character.

"Trump’s background in salesmanship and reality TV prepared him perfectly for his present role. According to Adorno,

the leader can guess the psychological wants and needs of those susceptible to his propaganda because he resembles them psychologically, and is distinguished from them by a capacity to express without inhibitions what is latent in them, rather than by any intrinsic superiority."

So trump supporters believe themselves to be knowledgeable about everything. They just don't like to brag about it. "Blacks, brown people, etc. are stupid and don't want to work. But I'm smart and want to work." trump says what they want to say but can't because it would expose them as braggart racists.

18 hours ago, DJL said:

By saying he's holding Trump to a different set of standards you appear to be equating them and equating her reaction to a situation that Trump has been in.  Yet you don't see his disdain for those proceedings to be a mark against him, just this one photographic moment of skepticism.  Not tweetstorms, tirades, Fox News sponsored bashings on interviews.  She didn't make petty insults about their looks, their weight, the way they drink water, their sexuality or country of origin, didn't insult their intelligence.  She just made a face that showed an intentional and unflappable expression of bored skepticism.

Holy Cow! 

I mean yeah - can you imagine what would happen if she wore too much spray tan?:shock:

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

Rather like the reaction of the right to Obama's tan suit, I expect.

I doubt it - I had to google it to see anyone referring to anything regarding a tan suit.  I thought your comment referred to his skin color.

I don't see anyone here ever referring to him as anything to do with skin color.   No deragatory skin color references at all.  Not One.

Why is that do you suppose?

Because it's a poisonous and highly electrified third rail. I've certainly seen reference on FB, both to Obama, and even more to Michelle Obama. No, not the N word, but enough  "monkey" and "subhuman" comments to surmise.

Wendy P.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Because it's a poisonous and highly electrified third rail. I've certainly seen reference on FB, both to Obama, and even more to Michelle Obama. No, not the N word, but enough  "monkey" and "subhuman" comments to surmise.

Wendy P.

What about here?  I don't facebook.

Anyone ever say Trump was sub human, or a Cheeto, or anything else dehumanizing, or anything along those lines there?

The double standard of outrage is telling.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone referred to Obama as the "Chocolate Bar In Chief"?

Edited by turtlespeed

You have a point. There's been a lot of vituperation directed at Trump here, far more than at Obama that I can remember. Of course, some of that memory fades with time, and I'm SO not willing to go do a comparative search for vituperation. Hillary Clinton has been the target of some pretty strong feelings...

Wendy P.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

You have a point. There's been a lot of vituperation directed at Trump here, far more than at Obama that I can remember. Of course, some of that memory fades with time, and I'm SO not willing to go do a comparative search for vituperation. Hillary Clinton has been the target of some pretty strong feelings...

Wendy P.

Yes.  I am guilty of some of that - (I had to look the word up) vituperation. I have matured since then.

****Side note - I also found "Invective"

I like learning things.****

Edited by turtlespeed

25 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I doubt it - I had to google it to see anyone referring to anything regarding a tan suit.  I thought your comment referred to his skin color.

I don't see anyone here ever referring to him as anything to do with skin color.   No deragatory skin color references at all.  Not One.

Why is that do you suppose?

Two things.

First, orange isn't Trump's skin colour. It's the colour of the stuff he chooses to put on his skin. There's a small but important difference between choosing to use an unnatural quantity of spray tan and being born black. I'll leave it to you to figure out what it is.

Second, I don't recall anyone here making direct remarks about his skin colour, several of them did peddle the racist conspiracy theories that he was either foreign born or a Muslim, and they did this because he was black. Again, see the difference? Because Trump paints himself orange, people laugh at him. Because Obama was born black, people accused him of lying about his religion and claimed he was an illegitimate president.

15 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Can you imagine what would happen if someone referred to Obama as the "Chocolate Bar In Chief"?

They would quite correctly be called out as incredibly racist. Commenting on the shade of makeup that Trump uses is not racist. Trying to equate the two is indeed an outrageous double standard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

First, orange isn't Trump's skin colour. It's the colour of the stuff he chooses to put on his skin. There's a small but important difference between choosing to use an unnatural quantity of spray tan and being born black. I'll leave it to you to figure out what it is.

It's kind of like complaining about a tan suit. And no, that wasn't a huge topic of discussion in SC specifically but it was a noticeable meme out there in what's sort of like the real world. Kind of like Michelle Obama's muscles... 

Second, I don't recall anyone here making direct remarks about his skin colour, several of them did peddle the racist conspiracy theories that he was either foreign born or a Muslim, and they did this because he was black. Again, see the difference? Because Trump paints himself orange, people laugh at him. Because Obama was born black, people accused him of lying about his religion and claimed he was an illegitimate president.

I'd forgotten about the whole Muslim thing. 

Remember that of the people who actually post, they tend to lean more US-liberal, in part because there's a significant contingent of non-USians here, and US far-right conservatives are rather a special breed. And while there do seem to be more liberal people actually posting, there are a significant number of conservatives in the past, as evidenced by polls that we used to have. The dogpiling that goes on sometimes when someone posts some of those views would be a disincentive to actually post.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

several of them did peddle the racist conspiracy theories that he was either foreign born or a Muslim, and they did this because he was black.

I think it was moreso because his father was from Kenya, converted to Islam and changed his name to Hussein.

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Two things.

Umm no - that's a double standanrd, whether your want to believe it or not.

The reason the thing came up about his birth is because you have to be a natural born citizen to be president.

People choose the physical characteristics of Trump as a way to dehumanize him, like they did the Jews in the late 30's and early 40's.

(Hmmm - Back to the 40's again . . . )

As dependable as the changing of seasons, anti-Semitism may, like ...

(edited)
37 minutes ago, jakee said:

They would quite correctly be called out as incredibly racist. Commenting on the shade of makeup that Trump uses is not racist. Trying to equate the two is indeed an outrageous double standard.

Actually its a Kenyan brand of candy.

https://thechocolatebar.co.ke/

Edited by turtlespeed

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I think it was moreso because his father was from Kenya, converted to Islam and changed his name to Hussein.

I highly doubt it, because of the three things you just said two of them are not true. One of them is precisely backwards and the other represents the opposite of what he did.

Also, recall that Obama Sr left when Barack was 3. Not really much of a basis for making assumptions on his religion, it was definitely the being black thing.

Also, recall that one of Obama's oponents was actually really for sure not born in the USA, and no-one gave a toss because he was white.

Edited by jakee