1 1
billvon

Trump outdoes himself

So Trump lashed out a few days ago because of all the negative coverage his suggestion that doctors research injecting disinfectants and implanting UV lights in people.  First he said "I was being sarcastic to mess with you" then he cancelled his briefings as a "so there."

Then he came out with this excellent Twitter rant after the NYT did a story about him:

"I read a phony story in the failing @nytimes about my work schedule and eating habits, written by a third rate reporter who knows nothing about me. I will often be in the Oval Office late into the night & read & see that I am angrily eating a hamberger & Diet Coke in my bedroom."

The image of him "angrily eating a hamberger" alone in his bedroom because the press was mean to him will be one of the defining images of his presidency.

Followed by:  

"When will all of the ‘reporters’ who have received Noble Prizes for their work on Russia, Russia, Russia, only to have been proven totally wrong (and, in fact, it was the other side who committed the crimes), be turning back their cherished 'Nobles’ so that they can be given to the REAL REPORTERS & JOURNALISTS who got it right.  I can give the Committee a very comprehensive list.  When will the Noble Committee DEMAND the Prizes back, especially since they were gotten under fraud? The reporters and Lamestream Media knew the truth all along Lawsuits should be brought against all, including the Fake News Organizations, to rectify this terrible injustice.” 

To anyone with half a brain it's clear that he meant to say Nobel Prizes, and that he confused the Nobel Prize with the Pulitzer Prize, an award given to many of the reporters he attacked (including Maggie Haberman, the NYT reporter who won a Pulitzer Prize in 2018 for reporting on Trump’s advisers and their connections to Russia.)

So he deleted the tweet. 

But was he done making a fool of himself?  Not quite.  Yesterday's tweet:

"Does anybody get the meaning of what a so-called Noble (not Nobel) Prize is, especially as it pertains to Reporters and Journalists? Noble is defined as, “having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals.” Does sarcasm ever work?"

Up next - "I didn't mispell hamburger.  I was referring to my hamberger, a special kind of hamburger from Hamberg, Germany."

It won't matter one iota to his base, the overwhelming majority of whom are too ignorant to know the difference between "noble", Nobel" and "Pulitzer", or even care.

After all, he is a proven liar, con-man, adulterer and likely rapist, but they don't care about that, do they?

I read some reporting about his latest tweet-rants. But yikes! IMO being stuck in the WH is beginning to show and exacerbate his mental issues.

I hope he keeps up his daily press briefings. The more he talks the bigger the bombs he drops.

Agreed. Fortunately, and as with his predecessors, I can respect the office without necessarily respecting its occupant. Keep in mind that we're getting all this through the hate filter too. The open hostility between 45 and the media is bound to cause some (I said SOME) exaggerations. Seems like he's really punching himself in the face this time though.

28 minutes ago, markharju said:

Agreed. Fortunately, and as with his predecessors, I can respect the office without necessarily respecting its occupant. Keep in mind that we're getting all this through the hate filter too. The open hostility between 45 and the media is bound to cause some (I said SOME) exaggerations. Seems like he's really punching himself in the face this time though.

Bill just quoted Trump's own Twitter feed. I'm not quite sure how the big bad media could be responsible for exaggerating or hate filtering that.

9 minutes ago, jakee said:

Bill just quoted Trump's own Twitter feed. I'm not quite sure how the big bad media could be responsible for exaggerating or hate filtering that.

Agreed; however, I meant both his and the media.

35 minutes ago, markharju said:

Actually, the media is treating him very gently, given the rampant stupidity he's been displaying and the blatant lies he's been spouting.
There has been some significant criticism of this. 
Some news outlets stopped running his 'briefings' live because there were so many lies in them. 

It was bouncing around FB right after the 'inject disinfectants' crap:

'There should be an automatic Pulitzer Prize given to the first journalist who shouts out "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!" the next time Trump says something that stupid.'

• Like 2

(edited)
6 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

'There should be an automatic Pulitzer Prize given to the first journalist who shouts out "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!" the next time Trump says something that stupid.'

^.^ Lol - that's funny.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I think you mean Noble prize

1 minute ago, headoverheels said:

I'm not sure that that rates a Pulitzer.  Maybe a Noble.

Or  Ig-Nobel as the case may be.  https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/

My all-time favorite: Prof George Goble of Purdue for lighting a charcoal grill in 3 seconds with liquid oxygen  ^.^

1 hour ago, markharju said:

Agreed; however, I meant both his and the media.

Well, except there is a difference.   He lies an average of five times a day - and he sees accurate reporting of that as "fake news."   Correcting untruths from a politician is not "hate."  It's journalistic integrity, even if the politician in question prefer that everyone swallow his claims without question.

1 hour ago, markharju said:

Or  Ig-Nobel as the case may be.  https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/

My all-time favorite: Prof George Goble of Purdue for lighting a charcoal grill in 3 seconds with liquid oxygen  ^.^

:E

I graduated from Purdue in 1991. I knew George Goble personally. He was the #2 guy in the management of the Engineering Computer Network.

I won't take sides this time. Both he and the media have an axe to grind and I wish they could both set it aside for a while and focus on the public interest and less upon themselves and each other but I guess that's asking for too much.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

thumbs-up.png

(edited)
3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

:E

I graduated from Purdue in 1991. I knew George Goble personally. He was the #2 guy in the management of the Engineering Computer Network.

I first learned about him (Prof Goble) around 1998 on "Radical & Extreme Hobbies". My favorite quote: "sacrificing a charcoal grill to the fire gods." ^.^^.^^.^ Purdue: Astronaut U B). Goble must have been an awesome Professor.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, markharju said:

I won't take sides this time. Both he and the media have an axe to grind and I wish they could both set it aside for a while and focus on the public interest and less upon themselves and each other but I guess that's asking for too much.

The media holding the President to account is in the public interest.

The President airing his personal grievances and vendettas on Twitter is not.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

The media holding the President to account is in the public interest.

The President airing his personal grievances and vendettas on Twitter is not.

Hmmm.... that would seem to be the heart of the matter right there.

3 hours ago, markharju said:

Times can change circumstances. I'd argue that the office is now defiled by the occupant. I'd further argue that the office is not the Oval Office only but actually an aggregation of offices all of which are staffed by the occupant of the Oval Office. So maybe it's time to start taking a pass on yesterdays jingoistic definitions and time to start twinning the office and the person when need be. Sort of, that affronts our natural nationalistic tendencies, for sure. That said, if your garbage started piling up on the curb week after week, as President Garbageman now does, you wouldn't be blaming the garbageman only, you'd be blaming the garbage company, too.  

trump outdoing himself is a...oxymoron. Poll: Voters trust Fauci, Biden, Sanders, Cuomo, Pence more than Trump on coronavirus

Yet, "Forty-four percent of voters say the trust President Trump when it comes to coronavirus information' I'm still waiting for that forty-four percent to do the Clorox-injection and post it on you-tube.