1 1

Minneapolis Allows Adhan for "Little Mogadishu"

18 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I would think it to be hyperbole.

Hyperbole is found in exaggerated statements, not ones that have no basis in truth whatsoever. 

Further, I don't think anyone believes that you would. You would only give a conservative the benefit of 'hyperbole'. If any liberals said it you would not only pour scorn on the individual, you would claim it as an example of the entire left wing being desperate for excuses to bash the right, and probably find a way to claim that they were being led around by the lying media to boot.

27 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Although I don't live in Edinburgh, I have several friends who live there, and I've visited a few times. I don't even remember seeing a single mosque, and there are LOTS of churches there.

There was also the outcry after Trump said there were "no-go" zones in London and Birmingham if I remember correctly.

There are valid reasons to criticise Islam, so why completely make things up? It just makes you untrustworthy.

I don't think he is talking about Edinburgh in Scotland because there are plenty of catholic and protestant churches all over Scotland. There is an Edinburgh in Indiana and there are probably plenty of Christian churches there as well

I looked at a couple of directories:

Mosques in Edingurgh (22), including the prayer room at the airport

Churches in Edinburgh (41)

Mark, I call bullshit. I'm not sure where you got that bogus "fact," but it's just plain wrong.

Turtle, hyperbole isn't generally used when you're making a point that's likely to be refuted or rebutted -- see why?

Wendy P.

40 minutes ago, ScottishJohn said:

I don't think he is talking about Edinburgh in Scotland because there are plenty of catholic and protestant churches all over Scotland. There is an Edinburgh in Indiana and there are probably plenty of Christian churches there as well

I actually checked that. Google for churches in in Edinburgh, Indiana and it'll give a list as long as your arm. Do the same for mosques and it'll show you one in Columbus:rofl:

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Mark, I call bullshit. I'm not sure where you got that bogus "fact," but it's just plain wrong.

Turtle, hyperbole isn't generally used when you're making a point that's likely to be refuted or rebutted -- see why?

Wendy P.

Many of those are just prayer rooms, and those with photos just look like ordinary buildings which are probably just repurposed. No wonder I didn't see any when I was there.

The UK has strict laws on the appearance of buildings. You can buy an old church, but the architectural modifications you're allowed to make to it is very, very limited, and almost under no circumstances will you be allowed to demolish it.

In the same vein, when you build a new structure strict rules are placed on its appearance.

Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities, and I say Mark's allegations are complete rubbish. Was it intentional? No idea, but bullshit is bullshit.

4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities, and I say Mark's allegations are complete rubbish. Was it intentional? No idea, but bullshit is bullshit.

Well, I guess foreigners are just confused sometimes. Hey, remember those Russian spies who poisoned the Skripals with novichok? I'm pretty sure their excuse was that they were just visiting the  world famous Salisbury mosque, right?

I am very familiar with Edinburgh.  BIG cathedral right in the center of the city. Last time I checked the Church of Scotland wasn't Islamist.

https://stgilescathedral.org.uk/

Welcome to St Giles’ Cathedral, the High Kirk of Edinburgh positioned at the heart of the Scottish capital. St Giles’ was founded in 1124, and in the 16th century became the focal point of the Scottish Reformation. The church is regarded as the Mother Church of World Presbyterianism and welcomes visitors from all corners of the globe.

6 hours ago, jakee said:

There are no other options besides lying, hallucinating or being incredibly stupid. You only need to pretend there are because he's a conservative, and you absolutely must defend conservatives no matter what, even when you know they're in the wrong.

Imagine for a moment he was a liberal alleging wrongdoing by the christian majority against Muslims, and claimed he'd visited Dearborn and had seen for himself that all the mosques had been replaced by churches. What would you be saying then?

Ah, but you see there is this small town in Alabadeen that goes by that name and people are saying there are no churches...

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . "I was being sarcastic.  Can't you take a joke?"

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

You don't see the difference?

Sure, yours is more aggressive.

By the way, don't you think it's amusing that you are currently defending someone who specifically and explicitly stated that there are no churches in Edinburgh, that he had seen it himself, and that there should be outrage over that fact, and you are claiming that it could be a completely innocent mistake and it's wrong for anyone to judge - while in the other thread you are claiming that "Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs" must be an example of the media maliciously and falsely suggesting that Trump is telling people to self medicate with bleach and that the media is definitely doing it on purpose?

I find that very funny!

Edited by jakee

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

Sure, yours is more aggressive.

By the way, don't you think it's amusing that you are currently defending someone who specifically and explicitly stated that there are no churches in Edinburgh, that he had seen it himself, and that there should be outrage over that fact, and you are claiming that it could be a completely innocent mistake and it's wrong for anyone to judge - 

I am arguing that he did not intentionally lie about it.

5 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Exactly, even though he claimed very specific knowledge that came from direct personal experience, and was so sure about it that he demanded outrage from others as a response. Contrasted to your judgmentalism in the other thread it's freakin' hilarious!

(edited)
3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Anyone, ANYONE, who has been to Edinburgh and has the use of their eyes will have seen dozens of churches, and a HUGE cathedral up on a hill.  To claim otherwise is a lie.

Rather like claiming "deafening" media silence on Biden accusations.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Perhaps he IS blind and deaf.

Edited by kallend

15 hours ago, kallend said:

Anyone, ANYONE, who has been to Edinburgh and has the use of their eyes will have seen dozens of churches, and a HUGE cathedral up on a hill.  To claim otherwise is a lie.

Rather like claiming "deafening" media silence on Biden accusations.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Perhaps he IS blind and deaf.

I see he is posting again - he can answer.

I still don't believe he was intentionally lying to you.

Talking shit to make a point is lying. It might be OK (i.e. neither of my cats are probably the handsomest cat in the entire world), but when you double down and use an anecdote as data in making a point, your point and your credibility are destroyed when you're wrong and won't own up.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I still don't believe he was intentionally lying to you.

Of course you don't. It would break your mind to judge a fellow right winger the same way you judge anyone you think is remotely to the left of you. 

Claiming to have been to Edinburgh and seen for yourself that there are no churches left is like going to New York and claiming the Empire State is gone, going to Athens and saying the Parthenon is now a supermarket or going to DC and claiming the White House, Capitol and Lincoln memorial have all been turned into carparks.

I see he is posting again - he can answer.

And he's been asked twice and hasn't answered. Why do you think that might be?

Edited by jakee

6 minutes ago, jakee said:

Of course you don't. It would break your mind to judge a fellow right winger the same way you judge anyone you think is remotely to the left of you. 

Claiming to have been to Edinburgh and seen for yourself that there are no churches left is like going to New York and claiming the Empire State is gone, going to Athens and saying the Parthenon is now a supermarket or going to DC and claiming the White House, Capitol and Lincoln memorial have all been turned into carparks.

And he's been asked twice and hasn't answered. Why do you think that might be?

Probably because he doesn't want to.

9 minutes ago, jakee said:

Right - because he, like you, hates to admit he was lying.

The heart of the post was all about fear mongering and its close relative, hate mongering. It is hard to do either effectively without lying. How are you going to get people all riled up about another culture without telling lies? Even the great Trump can't do it.

55 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The heart of the post was all about fear mongering and its close relative, hate mongering. It is hard to do either effectively without lying. How are you going to get people all riled up about another culture without telling lies? Even the great Trump can't do it.

SOP for dictators. They need to convince the populace that all their problems are caused by some other group, and keep howling about them. Else it might dawn on the populace that their problem is really the dictator.

• Like 1