1 1
Keithor

Storm Vs Kraken

I have been jumping a 150 Storm for about 300 jumps and put almost 200 on a 170 before that.

I recently ordered a 139 Kraken and had some questions for anyone who has flown both. 

How is the glide between them?

Are the openings comparable?

Flare?

I probably still have the option of going with a 149 if I decide to, but that window of opportunity is closing quickly.

Thats probably about it.  I don't swoop and even if I was going to start getting into it I would get a different canopy to start that progression.  I've always love the range and glide from a storm and almost always made it back from a long spot.  I am a little (not much) worried about the glide with a slightly smaller canopy as I am starting to WS much more and hate the idea of landing off (I know watch where I am going and there is no worry of it).

Thanks

If WS becomes your main discipline, then larger is pretty much always better. As you get into larger suits linetwists are going to become common as you figure stuff out and having a canopy that falls out of the sky doesent give you much time to deal with them. I havent flown both of those canopies so I cant say how they compare in glide. i can say the Kraken opens better for sure. The Kraken is a WS canopy. The Storm is not. The Storm is not even a good 'off label' WS canopy. There are 9 cell canopies that are better for WS than the Storm.

ZERO on a Kraken, BUT I hear good things. It's built specific, sooooo... Same boat as you, as I've come off a 170 Storm(custom/new to me) that I bought just for WSing as my main squeeze. 300 plus jumps later, I now fly a spanking new WINX 166. Opening are of course WAY better, but the BIG difference is the flare. SO much more!  The glide on the Winx VS Storm, again, BIG difference. IMO the Storm is ground hungry, and factory tapered to be so!  The only loss on the switch is toggle input. The storm shines in that dept.