1 1
nigel99

Silver linings

I'm still going with my post from earlier.

I am really glad that Biden is sticking to his choice of choosing a female running mate.

It matters not, weather he wins or loses the election, there is no down side.

It is high time that the US got rid of the false stigma of women in charge.

4 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Day 1 of challenge. A positive of Trump is that he’s got a new demographic interested and talking about politics and he’s made people re evaluate our political institutions.

Turtle your turn :)

Given the way he skimmed right over Pelosi, you actually think he'll play by the rules???

Not a chance in Trump hell.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, normiss said:

Given the way he skimmed right over Pelosi, you actually think he'll play by the rules???

Not a chance in Trump hell.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Another Trump positive, bleach sales are up!

Edited by nigel99
  • Like 1

(edited)

The biggest problem for me with finding good in Trump is that his internal motivations appear to be so very self-centered (ratings and popularity, his personal value currency), so it's always possible to find a lead undercoat to that silver. Kind of like how a lot of people on the right see Nancy Pelosi (as an example).

Ratcheting up the trade pressure on China may well have been a good thing, however how he did it might not have been. The wall was stupid, but trying to address illegal immigration is a sore spot across the country -- it needs to be addressed, and a lot of people are going to be unhappy with any attempt to solve it.

One can say "he wants to clamp down on illegal voting," but, well, there isn't a lot of that. 

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

(edited)
10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The biggest problem for me with finding good in Trump is that his internal motivations appear to be so very self-centered (ratings and popularity, his personal value currency), so it's always possible to find a lead undercoat to that silver. Kind of like how a lot of people on the right see Nancy Pelosi (as an example).

Ratcheting up the trade pressure on China may well have been a good thing, however how he did it might not have been. The wall was stupid, but trying to address illegal immigration is a sore spot across the country -- it needs to be addressed, and a lot of people are going to be unhappy with any attempt to solve it.

One can say "he wants to clamp down on illegal voting," but, well, there isn't a lot of that. 

Wendy P.

Well put Wendy. I don’t like the man and everything he stands for as a human, never mind president. But I intend to try and stay true to my challenge to Turtle in that, ifTurtle would look for the good in Joe Biden for a week, I would do the same for Trump. If nothing else it is an interesting exercise. 

So for day 2, I think it’s great that Trump has offered to help Ethiopia. 

E5BE93D5-BAF8-4B71-9C5F-88AC709BDEB5.jpeg

Edited by nigel99

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

Well put Wendy. I don’t like the man and everything he stands for as a human, never mind president. But I intend to try and stay true to my challenge to Turtle in that, ifTurtle would look for the good in Joe Biden for a week, I would do the same for Trump. If nothing else it is an interesting exercise. 

So for day 2, I think it’s great that Trump has offered to help Ethiopia. 

E5BE93D5-BAF8-4B71-9C5F-88AC709BDEB5.jpeg

Can we wait with the credit until Ethiopia has actually received ventilators they didn't have to overpay for? Trump has a long history of making grand gestures, but he also has a long history of not delivering on them.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Can we wait with the credit until Ethiopia has actually received ventilators they didn't have to overpay for? Trump has a long history of making grand gestures, but he also has a long history of not delivering on them.

Or to put it another way: If Trump said he is doing it, then he isn't, (and vice versa).

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Honestly Trump has been on a roll the last few days. It was the best I could honestly find. 

A funny story, a few months ago an Ethiopian Uber driver gave me a lift. He had spent some time in Seattle and was scared of the guns and violence so he left. He said at least in Ethiopia you knew which areas to avoid.

My offering today is this interview.

It was uplifting to know that someone overcame their childhood disabilities, and offered guidance on how others may do the same.

I also stress that the comment about Limbaugh going through cancer would be well studied here.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/politics/joe-biden-stutter/index.html

19 hours ago, nigel99 said:

A funny story, a few months ago an Ethiopian Uber driver gave me a lift. He had spent some time in Seattle and was scared of the guns and violence so he left. He said at least in Ethiopia you knew which areas to avoid.

Years ago I met a woman in Northern Ireland.  We were going to go to dinner at a place she liked, but there had been a bombing next to the restaurant she wanted to go to so we had to go somewhere else.

At dinner she said she was considering going to visit Los Angeles - but heard it was dangerous.

(edited)
31 minutes ago, billvon said:

Years ago I met a woman in Northern Ireland.  We were going to go to dinner at a place she liked, but there had been a bombing next to the restaurant she wanted to go to so we had to go somewhere else.

At dinner she said she was considering going to visit Los Angeles - but heard it was dangerous.

Hi Bill,

It's all a matter of perspective; for some Belfast was very dangerous, but not so much for others.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  This is a good book about those days:

say_.jpg

Edited by JerryBaumchen

1 hour ago, billvon said:

When my brother was in his early twenties he went to Belfast with his wife (she was Irish). He put a balaclava on and walked into a pub as a joke. She was sure he was going to get killed. But yes it’s all about perspective and what you’re familiar with.