jenc0322

Pack volume of SmartLPV vs Optimum?

Looking to complete my first rig and would appreciate some advice!

I have a I23SN and according to VSE’s size chart, I would be able to fit a Optimum 143/Smart 135/Nano 143 in there. I was wondering if anyone know how these pack compare to a Smart LPV? I’m trying to find out if I would be able to fit a 150 LPV in there.

(edited)

I would also consider a paratec speed 2000 170 sqft which packs about 30 cui smaller then a 143 Optimum.

Had two rides on a 150 speed... One highspeed and one lowspeed opening, both went just fine. 

Edited by tripp9r

So upon checking the volume of smart and smartLPV it seems that the smartLPV 150 actually packs 1 cui smaller than the regular smart 135. Does that mean technically speaking if a container can fit a smart 135 it should fit a 150 LPV?

I was told by one rigger that the I-2sn series are more restrictive so a 150 LPV is a no-go so I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare how op143, 150 LPV and 135 smart packs

(edited)
1 hour ago, jenc0322 said:

So upon checking the volume of smart and smartLPV it seems that the smartLPV 150 actually packs 1 cui smaller than the regular smart 135. Does that mean technically speaking if a container can fit a smart 135 it should fit a 150 LPV?

In general, yes. The LPV versions of reserves typically pack around one size smaller. The Smart LPV is intended for you to upside by one size relative to a standard Smart.

Edited by 20kN

On 4/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, tripp9r said:

I would also consider a paratec speed 2000 170 sqft which packs about 30 cui smaller then a 143 Optimum.

Had two rides on a 150 speed... One highspeed and one lowspeed opening, both went just fine. 

No way Speed 2000 170 will fit into I-23SN. Speed 2000 150 is a tight fit with no space left. If your information comes from watching sizing charts, mine is from packing the same configuration many times. Once again, Speed 2000 170 does NOT pack as small as an Optimum 143

On 4/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, jenc0322 said:

so I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare how op143, 150 LPV and 135 smart packs

The OP will pack smaller than the LPV. In my experience the LPV offers the least bulk reduction of all the low bulk reserves I have packed. As a side note, the Icon sizing isn't great from my experience and I wouldn't trust using their chart to confirm fit on extreme ends of their scale.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, Deyan said:

No way Speed 2000 170 will fit into I-23SN. Speed 2000 150 is a tight fit with no space left. If your information comes from watching sizing charts, mine is from packing the same configuration many times. Once again, Speed 2000 170 does NOT pack as small as an Optimum 143

Not the exact same thing, but one size up ... I packed a Speed2000 190 into an I-33 (built for a PD-143) pretty easily. The Speed2000 packed about the same or maybe slightly smaller than an OP160 and a Nano 160, both of which also packed pretty easily into the I-33. I'll have to dig into my logbooks (this was years ago), but I may even have measurements from the packjobs, including pull force for the same closing loop lengths, and chord/span of each of the canopies.