4 4
CrzIvan

Insurance for skydiving abroad

Hi guys,

I’ve been using Worldnomads.com for life, medical, and third party damage insurance (for places like Dubai), it was convenient buying well-covered policies for specific time frames and  countries of travel. For some reason, Worldnomads don’t offer their services for my country of residence anymore. Can you please advise a similar service, or anything at all that would work?

Thank you.

• Like 1

(edited)

As far as I know, worldnomads.com do not cover third party liability insurance for skydiving.
This it the email I got from their representative in December 2019.

Hi Matija,

Thank you for contacting World Nomads, I hope you are having a lovely day! To begin, I am sorry for the delayed response. We've had higher than usual email volumes recently and are doing our best to get back to everyone as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

It sounds like you have an exciting tip ahead! 

Unfortunately, our policies do not provide personal liability cover when partaking in Skydiving. 

Our 
policy wording lists Skydiving (solo) as a Level 3 activity. Special Condition: You must be with a professional, qualified and licensed guide, instructor or operator. Policy excludes skydiving from a hot air balloon.
Special Exclusion
Personal Accident and Personal Liability.

apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. 

I wish you the best of luck on your trip and with finding a provider to suit your needs. 

Best wishes,
Chloe. 

Edited by Matija
Edit insurance company link url

Yup, looks like Bupa does cover 3rd party insurance even for skydiving. At least they don't have anywhere stated that they don't.

Personal liability - property damage USD 500,000 / EUR 360,000 / CHF 550,000 / GBP 280,000
Personal liability - bodily injury USD 1,000,000 / EUR 715,000 / CHF 1,100,000 / GBP 550,000
  • Like 2

Guys, thank you for the suggestions. A few points here:

1. Worldnomads in fact sell Bupa’s insurance. I’d reckon it unlikely that Bupa covers something that Worldnomads don’t, and vice versa. Therefore it probably would be worth an effort to get positive statement from Bupa as to whether or not they cover third party damage for skydiving.

As an example, recently I had the same conversation with CareMed, a German insurer, and after several rounds of specific questioning they said that they don’t cover third party liability for skydiving, although it was not stated anywhere in their policy wording.

2. Generally for skydiving insurance, this answer that you got from Worldnomads

“You must be with a professional, qualified and licensed guide, instructor or operator”

makes me wonder: if we are on a jump with one or a few sports or fun jumpers holding USPA or other national licenses, neither of whom is a professional, “guide”, instructor, or operator, it doesn’t fit the wording. What do they really cover, then? Tandems?

3. It was (still is) an expressly stated requirement in some places that in order to jump there one had to have insurance covering the third party liability/ damage in a specific amount, so I used Worldnomads dozens of times, with their declared amount for such coverage being EUR 1,750,000 in the “Explorer” plan. Quite a few people did, too. Wondering, since when do Worldnomads exclude this coverage for skydiving? Since recently, or did they just forget to mention it since the beginning, and we were lucky not to discover it in some other way?

Overall, Worldnomads, Bupa, or CareMed do not look like straightforward reliable solutions, I guess we need to keep looking.

(edited)

If I remember correctly, Worldnomads changed the wording on their policy sometime in 2018. Someone mustve made a large claim.

I have an annual IHI BUPA travel insurance, and an email confirming they do cover skydiving. Unfortunately they don't cover paragliding, but I guess thats not relevant here.

Truetraveller are a bit more expensive, but seem to cover everything except BASE under their ultimate cover.

Edited by al05r