JumpRu

anything opens on May 1st for jumping?

I have resigned myself to the fact that I may not be jumping anymore this year.

Even if/when anti-C19 measures are relaxed at the appropriate time it may be not such a good idea to immediately cram yourself into an airplane with 18 others. Especially with people willing to travel from all over the area. Are you certain you or one of the others on that load are not infected?

• Like 2

(edited)
5 hours ago, Baksteen said:

I have resigned myself to the fact that I may not be jumping anymore this year.

Even if/when anti-C19 measures are relaxed at the appropriate time it may be not such a good idea to immediately cram yourself into an airplane with 18 others. Especially with people willing to travel from all over the area. Are you certain you or one of the others on that load are not infected?

What you said is accurate, but at this point people are starting to not care. I've seen so many people complain about how the shutdown is worse than the virus and reopening worth the risk (which I'd disagree with). We havent even really been at this shutdown that long and people are getting tired of it. I suspect once DZs start to reopen people will be jumping at them even if it's not smart to do so.

Edited by 20kN

My 8, The City of Vancouver announced that they are no longer laying off 17,000 transit workers. Last month bus stops and Skytrain stations were ghost-towns, but ridership resumed in early May. Skytrains were only running two cars per train (versus the usual 4) and reduced schedules.

By the second week of May, buses were starting to skip stops in an effort to maintain social distance.

This week (11 May) transit is resuming many canceled buses, but drivers and dispatchers are confused.

The Province of B.C. is hoping for a gradual, phased return to normal by the end of May. How fast the province re-opens depends upon the numbers of COVID-19 patients reporting to hospitals.

I doubt if we will ever return to the old "normal." Last year we snickered at overly-cautious Chinese immigrants wearing masks in public. Masks are likely to remain fashionable until sheeple forget about COVID-19. Jump suit manufacturer "Vertical" has already introduced a new line of PPE masks.

I fear that far too many mom-and-pop retail stores will close permanently. We also fear that too many single-Cessna DZs will close forever. That means longer driving times for those of us still jumping.

(edited)
3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

We also fear that too many single-Cessna DZs will close forever. 

Why? They have far fewer bills than the big turbine DZs do. Monthly payments on a 182 arnt that bad. Monthly payments on two Otters, two Caravans, a hanger for all of them, insurance for them and all the other fees that come with that... not so cheap. Small DZs have less capital, but also far fewer bills.

Edited by 20kN

14 hours ago, 20kN said:

Why? They have far fewer bills than the big turbine DZs do. Monthly payments on a 182 arnt that bad. Monthly payments on two Otters, two Caravans, a hanger for all of them, insurance for them and all the other fees that come with that... not so cheap. Small DZs have less capital, but also far fewer bills.

try to avoid those bills for a few months and see what the creditors say.  they aren't in the habit of forgiving loans and keeping the lights on if they don't get money for it.  even after social distancing is over, how many tandems will decide it's worth the risk?  and how many fun jumpers will avoid jumping for a while after it stops to see how it goes before jumping again?  they may have fewer bills, but they also have less opportunity to collect the money.  a 182 can get two tandems per load, one if they want outside video, maybe two (our dz takes four passengers, not five like i've heard some take).   that being said, you are mostly correct, you just forgot that even though the bills are much less, being shut for a few months hurts pretty bad since there is nothing coming in and the bills are still there.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

try to avoid those bills for a few months and see what the creditors say.  they aren't in the habit of forgiving loans and keeping the lights on if they don't get money for it.  even after social distancing is over, how many tandems will decide it's worth the risk?  and how many fun jumpers will avoid jumping for a while after it stops to see how it goes before jumping again?  they may have fewer bills, but they also have less opportunity to collect the money.  a 182 can get two tandems per load, one if they want outside video, maybe two (our dz takes four passengers, not five like i've heard some take).   that being said, you are mostly correct, you just forgot that even though the bills are much less, being shut for a few months hurts pretty bad since there is nothing coming in and the bills are still there.

Yes but how is any of what you said different at a big DZ? A big DZ going months with no income and $50,000+ per month in bills is an issue too. 

14 hours ago, 20kN said:

Yes but how is any of what you said different at a big DZ? A big DZ going months with no income and $50,000+ per month in bills is an issue too. 

It's just really bad for everybody. Bigger DZ's might have bigger reserves to draw on and larger customer pools to pull from when they reopen, but you're exactly right - they also have higher overhead. The skydiving landscape is definitely going to change after this season. It would be interesting to watch as an outsider, but as one who works in the industry and has many, many friends who are being very negatively affected, it's worrying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 20kN said:

you are correct, they are both in need during times like this, it just appeared you were minimizing the overhead of the smaller dz and not taking into account the lower income.  as i think about it, it might be a good idea to compare the two somehow, like getting a sort of estimation of revenue for different size dz's.  it would be a good thing to have for anyone considering starting one or for jumpers to look at to get an appreciation of the actual costs involved.  one thing is for sure, it ain't gonna be the same, much like after 9/11. 

I got to make 2 jumps yesterday at Pepperell, Ma. 3 jumpers in a 20 seat caravan, and they were still militant about face masks and distancing. I won’t be back anytime soon. 
   I am SO SICK AND TIRED of these governors unlawful decrees.  Any business that is willing to fight for their rights will get my support. Others, not so much.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, skydave114 said:

I am SO SICK AND TIRED of these governors unlawful decrees.  Any business that is willing to fight for their rights will get my support.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, skydave114 said:

I won’t be back anytime soon.

I am sure you will be greatly missed.

• Like 1

(edited)

On 5/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, skydave114 said:

I am SO SICK AND TIRED of these governors unlawful decrees. 

They are not unlawful. Just because you dont agree doesent make it illegal. You dont decide what's legal and what is not. Judges make that decision and they have decided it's legal. The interest of national security trumps whatever fake self-proclaimed rights that you think you have.

Edited by Westerly

Legislators make laws, not governors or judges. At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work in the USA. A Judge in Illinois recently ruled that their state shutdown is unlawful. He only applied it to a single plaintiff, unfortunately.

Try reading the first amendment to the constitution. We have the right to peaceably assemble. There are no exceptions.

to get back on topic, is anyplace else open?

We are open in east TN. I was wondering how the season might go. Next Saturday we have  a FJC with 10 AFF students. That's probably the biggest class we've ever had. We are a small Cessna DZ. Tandem business is going pretty good on the weekends. We did a small Demo last Saturday and delivered a couple of bottles of Champagne into a exclusive resort for some chick's 30th birthday. Funny thing,  so far not a single person has showed up at the DZ wearing a mask. Including non-jumping family members. Our tandem business seems to be last minute scheduling though. But overall things are going much better than I predicted.  Let's hope it continues. 

(edited)

On 5/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, skydave114 said:

Legislators make laws, not governors or judges. At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work in the USA. A Judge in Illinois recently ruled that their state shutdown is unlawful. He only applied it to a single plaintiff, unfortunately.

Try reading the first amendment to the constitution. We have the right to peaceably assemble. There are no exceptions.

to get back on topic, is anyplace else open?

Legislators make laws, but judges decide if they are legally enforceable or not. Judges have full authority to override the legislative branch and deem a law legally unenforceable which is something that happens literately everyday. You are not an attorney and you're not qualified to comment on the constitution. If you think 'there are no exceptions' then go take that to the courts. Until then, the law has spoken and you saying ' there are no exceptions' literately means absolutely nothing. You have absolutely zero authority to make such decisions and if you pull the 'I know more about the law than you do there police officer' card, you're going to get your day in court for sure where you'll almost certainly unsuccessfully be able to argue  why you think you're exempt from the local ordinances. Judges love being told by random no-ones about 'their constitutional rights.' and how 'you can do that because the constitution says so'.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)
10 hours ago, skydave114 said:

I’m not an attorney, but I have my copy of the constitution open right now. Where is the part where it says “except when a governor says so”? I can’t seem to find it.

And what part of the constitution does it say that governors dont have the authority to restrict businesses during a national declared public health emergency when done so in the interests of national public health? You realize what martial law is right? If necessary in the interests of national security, the president and state governors have the legal authority to put a civilian body (area, city, state, ect) under full military control, subject to all provisions of military order whereby not even the police retain any legal authority at that point. Martial law has been declared more than a dozen times in US history already.

He could quite literally deploy the Army to march down the street with weapons and force everyone to stay in their homes under a 24/7 curfew if doing so was provably in the interests of national security/ national health. Further, congress as a whole has the legal authority to further expand martial law to put a large portion, or even the entirety of the United States, under full military control whereby all civilians are wholly subject to military order if exceptionally extreme circumstances deemed it nessessary. The constitution does not prohibit such and there are provisions in the Code of Federal Regulations that grant the government that authority when absolutely necessary to protect US interests.

What we are experiencing right now is a small fraction of what the US government actually has the legal authority to do, so no your cry about 'but the constitution' doesn't mean jack as proven by the fact that almost every state has restrictions in place and the courts are not overturning them.

Edited by Westerly

(edited)
On 6/5/2020 at 12:07 PM, skydave114 said:

I’m not an attorney, but I have my copy of the constitution open right now. Where is the part where it says “except when a governor says so”? I can’t seem to find it.

It's quite obvious that you have no real understanding of either the law or the Constitution. You should take this over to Speakers Corner where your flawed logic can be ripped apart in the appropriate forum.

Edited by gowlerk