1 1
ryoder

COVID-19: Astroturfing the "reopen" demonstrations

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

No - I've decided to see how many insults you can throw at me personally.

Would almost be believable, except you're sticking to the same stupid argument and saying the same stupid things to people who aren't insulting you.

Why do it? Why continue defending the most insane and dangerous things Trump says even after Trump himself has disowned the comments?

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm sure it is. 

Its a shame that you cant see that, despite his faults, he is trying to give out hope, and reassurance that research is continuing.  He's not doing a very good job, but he's trying.

Turtlespeed: Even if he's spouting dangerous, ill-informed nonsense why can't you give him credit for his pure intentions?

Trump: I was just being a dick to some reporters I hate.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

For fun.  No one takes him seriously, and you can always ignore him.

But I do not want to ignore you and the others. Really, the blocking thing only offers a moments satisfaction. The person who will remain unnamed, because my little box of red dots is filling up, might be asked to refrain from posting on every SC topic with trivial, trolling responses until he gets a bite. That, and seeing as how we're all grown up's with thick skins, maybe we should be allowed to set the drag a little tighter. Just a thought.

(edited)

In any case, no matter what Trump's intentions were, asking scientists to investigate these is a dangerous waste of time.

Research time and funding is a precious resource that needs to be allocated carefully. More so in the middle of a pandemic!

Edited by olofscience

15 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

...maybe we should be allowed to set the drag a little tighter. Just a thought.

I'll admit I disagree with that. Different rules for different folks isn't that good an idea usually. Although we all know dz.com ain't no damn democracy!

Wendy P.

14 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I'll admit I disagree with that. Different rules for different folks isn't that good an idea usually. Although we all know dz.com ain't no damn democracy!

Wendy P.

I meant we all should be allowed to set the drag a little tighter, if that makes a difference. Same rules for all just a bit looser moderation. Don't misunderstand, I think BillVon does a difficult job well.  It's simply that sometimes, like when you hit your finger with the hammer, the conversation must be elevated above gosh darn.

17 hours ago, jakee said:

Nah. That's the same mistake people make who claim Trump is the master puppeteer of the media and all his outrageous shit is a co-ordinated master plan. Turtle really is just too stubborn and dishonest to extricate himself from a losing argument.

Despite his protests to the contrary its pretty clear Turtle is a Trumpite. 

It takes an extraordinary amount of commitment to defend those idiotic statements. Even Trump has reverted to lying about his statement at this point.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

But I do not want to ignore you and the others. Really, the blocking thing only offers a moments satisfaction. The person who will remain unnamed, because my little box of red dots is filling up, might be asked to refrain from posting on every SC topic with trivial, trolling responses until he gets a bite. That, and seeing as how we're all grown up's with thick skins, maybe we should be allowed to set the drag a little tighter. Just a thought.

No I’m against tightening the rules. It provides insight into human behaviour to see the extent that people will go to do defend Trump. I don’t want an echo chamber of anti Trump sentiment. People like Turtle who support and defend Trump provide insight into who Trump is tapping into for support. 

I don’t think Turtle is trolling. I believe he uses just trolling as a cover for when his viewpoint gets too embarrassing to continue to defend. He’s also one of very few posters whose prepared to admit he’s changed his views on things over time, that deserves credit.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

..Trump has reverted to lying about his statement at this point.

He has done that several times before. When stonewalling, intimidation and buffoonery doesn't work. He lies. Of course lying is the normal default. So its not like these courses of behavior can be ranked.

He denied knowing Rick Bright the 'Ousted' US vaccine expert Rick Bright to file whistleblower complaint   Of course he knows him. This is what happens when a narcissist survives impeachment.

Edited by Phil1111

2 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

...  I don’t think Turtle is trolling. I believe he uses just trolling as a cover for when his viewpoint gets too embarrassing to continue to defend. He’s also one of very few posters whose prepared to admit he’s changed his views on things over time, that deserves credit.

Bingo. Ron is also an unabashed always trumper. But at least convoluted denials are not part of the trump defense. His whole non-linear thinking b.s. excepted.

9 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

No I’m against tightening the rules. It provides insight into human behaviour to see the extent that people will go to do defend Trump. I don’t want an echo chamber of anti Trump sentiment. People like Turtle who support and defend Trump provide insight into who Trump is tapping into for support. 

I don’t think Turtle is trolling. I believe he uses just trolling as a cover for when his viewpoint gets too embarrassing to continue to defend. He’s also one of very few posters whose prepared to admit he’s changed his views on things over time, that deserves credit.

Nigel,

I do not think the rules should be tighter. Tightening the drag was a poorly drawn euphemism.

13 hours ago, billvon said:

You're a few hours behind.  He just claimed that he was being sarcastic, that he was not suggesting any research and that he was baiting reporters "just to see what would happen."

Quick!  Come up with a new defense!  Perhaps you might try "he's just trying to inject some humor to lift people's spirits."

It must be exhausting to be a Trump apologist lately.  You have to change your apologia every few hours.

There is no defense for that - 

I can't find a "good intentions" in that one.

It's  . . .  just . . .  wow.

(edited)
26 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Yup - I was wrong about it.

Are you sure though? Because when he said he was being sarcastic he was definitely lying. When he said he'd had an idea that you could disinfect and self-tan the inside of people's lungs he was being serious.

Bill's right, it is a really tough job being a Trump apologist!

Edited by jakee

15 minutes ago, jakee said:

Are you sure though? Because when he said he was being sarcastic he was definitely lying. When he said he'd had an idea that you could disinfect and self-tan the inside of people's lungs he was being serious.

Bill's right, it is a really tough job being a Trump apologist!

I’m not an apologist - I’m just looking for the good inside all the BS.

im looking for the silver lining. 

(edited)
28 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Sometimes there just isn’t a silk purse inside that horse’s ass, no matter how hard you look. 

Wendy P. 

Sometimes!??  Yeah we can go with "Sometimes".

It seems it is harder and harder to find.:(

I'm going to keep looking though.¬¬

Edited by turtlespeed

44 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I’m not an apologist - I’m just looking for the good inside all the BS.

im looking for the silver lining. 

Of course you only apply that "silver lining" mentality to the right and especially Trump. I see your "silver lining" meter doesn't seem to work when looking at the left. What YOU like to think of as objectivity, is a completely biased view of pretty much everything that you post about.