1 1
JoeWeber

Add inciting riot

And anarchy and the use of firearms to overturn the lawful orders of your state to the list.

LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And anarchy and the use of firearms to overturn the lawful orders of your state to the list.

..."lawful"? Depriving citizens of liberty without due process is UNLAWFUL, unless you are suspending the constitution AND DECLARING MARTIAL LAW. CHOOSE YOUR WORDS MORE CAREFULLY.

53 minutes ago, skymiles said:

Not just an idiot, but an idiot with a personality disorder

Narcissist/sociopath with dementia. And if you don't believe the dementia part, watch this 40 year-old video of him back when he spoke coherent English. BTW, his answer to the last question is priceless.

6 minutes ago, markharju said:

..."lawful"? Depriving citizens of liberty without due process is UNLAWFUL, unless you are suspending the constitution AND DECLARING MARTIAL LAW. CHOOSE YOUR WORDS MORE CAREFULLY.

Do you understand the concept of 'emergency circumstances'? And "temporary restrictions"?

There have been a LOT of emergency situations over the history of our country.

There have been a lot of 'emergency orders' that were put in place. Many (most?) of those orders violated constitutional rights in some way.

Many were taken to court. While some were found to be illegal, most (by far) were found to be legal. Even some that were patently wrong (internment of US citizens of Japanese descent during WW2 for example). 

Right now, most states have emergency orders in place that infringe on the right to 'peaceably assemble'. There have been reports of police enforcing those orders and, local to me, a few tickets have been written. Mostly warnings, but some fools have decided to 'stand up for their rights'. 
Admirable behavior under normal circumstances, but right now it is stupid and dangerous. Not just to the individual, but to the community as a whole. 
I have no doubt that some of those who were cited will choose to fight it. I wouldn't bet on them winning. 

• Like 1

(edited)

Then the states need to implement martial law and start putting them uppity rednecks in their place. There is already a lot of needless panic and overreaction which isn't helping things.

Edited by Guest

Martial law (and other types of governmental orders) has regularly been imposed after and during disasters. Look at "no go" zones after hurricanes and earthquakes. It doesn't take a court, it's an executive order kind of thing. 

Wendy P.

10 minutes ago, markharju said:

Then the states need to implement martial law and start putting them uppity rednecks in their place. There is already a lot of needless panic and overreaction which isn't helping things.

They did. "Martial Law" isn't a law at all. 

It's simply a term for the military taking over. 

"Declaring" or "Implementing" it doesn't really happen. 

The governor (or whoever is in charge) declares an emergency, announces emergency rules and uses the military to enforce them. 

Since most folks are smart enough to understand how important these rules are, they haven't needed to use the military to enforce them...
Yet. 

If the morons keep up their stupidity, it may happen. 

12 minutes ago, markharju said:

That sounds like a nice little soundbite. Not sure that is really true. The link below outlines the Executive Order for Michigan and provides the support she is using for the EO. If you don't agree, maybe try and refute her reasoning?

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499_90705-522626--,00.html

Should also note that the normal course of action in these cases would be to challenge this in a court of law, not a call to arms.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

They did. "Martial Law" isn't a law at all. 

It's simply a term for the military taking over.

That would be a coup d'etat. Glad you clarified later.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That sounds like a nice little soundbite. Not sure that is really true. The link below outlines the Executive Order for Michigan and provides the support she is using for the EO. If you don't agree, maybe try and refute her reasoning?

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499_90705-522626--,00.html

Should also note that the normal course of action in these cases would be to challenge this in a court of law, not a call to arms.

...not where people are being jailed for lawful assembly. In my country, people are sovereign citizens with inalienable rights. Not like yours - who are subjects.

Edited by Guest

Just now, markharju said:

That would be a coup d'etat. Glad you clarified later.

A coup is when someone (not necessarily the military) deposes the head of state (d'etat) and takes over.

"Martial Law" is commonly understood as 'military rule'. 

That can be under a current leader, or under a new one in the case of a coup. 

I keep hearing people claiming that the emergency orders aren't enforceable 'until Martial Law is declared', yet none of them can tell me what the legal procedure is for that. 
Because there isn't one. 

And under the emergency order (your reply to SkyDekker came in while I was composing this), 'peaceable assembly' is no longer legal. 
While that is patently unconstitutional, I'll bet you a buck it stands up in court. 

5 minutes ago, markharju said:

...not where people are being jailed for lawful assembly. In my country, people are sovereign citizens with inalienable rights. Not like yours - who are subjects.

Meh, there are all kinds of instances where lawful assembly has been prohibited in your very recent history. In areas struck by natural disasters for instance. Or because your president has decided to be within 100 miles of the area or something.

Maybe I am a subject. But I will take my freedoms in Canada over living in the Banana Republic south of the border. Just one little example, our chief health officers in almost every province have turned into celebrated figures. Yours needs increased protection after all the death threats. I am sure he feels very free these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markharju said:

It's called "police powers" Mark. It is reserved to the individual states by the 10th amendment. Choose your topics of expertise more carefully. 

2 hours ago, markharju said:

You seem to be somewhat angry. And you also seem to have a poor grasp of the law. If the restrictions in place under emergency declarations were not lawful don't you thing some lawyer somewhere would not have gotten an injunction by now?

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Not like yours - who are subjects.

You really should look at the Canadian Charter of Right and Freedoms. You should look at some of the rulings our Supreme court has made. Americans often make the mistake of thinking that just because Canadians don't have a constitutional right to use the tools of war as toys we are somehow oppressed.

Your idiot country drafted kids into the army as cannon fodder for no good reason in the '70s. Canada was here as an escape valve for those not blinded by the propaganda. Not all Americans are assholes, don't fall into that hole.

Edit, of course Skydecker was not the original source of the quote or the person I am addressing

Edited by gowlerk
attribution

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Who would have guessed - ANOTHER Trump Bashing thread!!

That will give you more opportunity to defend him, republicans and the positions they are putting forth. Every week trump changes his positions. So pick one( a position) and head on over to FOX to ascertain the origins. Then go to town.

For example a new poll came out on Wednesday. Showing trump dropping by 6 points in the last four weeks. So its back to his base

.Fox News' Brit Hume: "Entirely reasonable" for elderly to risk getting coronavirus to save economy

Older people would rather die than let Covid-19 harm US economy – Texas official

Glenn Beck Would ‘Rather Die’ Than See a Coronavirus Economic Shutdown

Now you can use science, math and argue along with trump. Who you just admitted that you never voted for. That a few dead seniors will save the economy, allow trump to make another SC appointment. The money saved in medicare could build the wall!

Go for it. Don't let SC turn into a den of presidential criticism. While the rest of us are drinking and sleeping off hangovers You can be crafting beautiful responses.

6 hours ago, markharju said:

Yeah yeah.  Telling a guy he can't go to the beach during a pandemic is just like suspending the Constitution and declaring martial law.  No difference at all.

(edited)
16 hours ago, markharju said:

In my country, people are sovereign citizens with inalienable rights. Not like yours - who are subjects.

Would you care to elaborate on that distinction?  Subject to what?  What rights do Canadian CITIZENS lack?

Most legal scholars consider the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to grant MORE rights than the US Constitution (as amended).

Edited by kallend