1 1
ryoder

2019-05-19 Aeroflot Flight 1492

Gotta hand it to the Russians, they don't do anything halfway. Aircraft a total loss, passenger injuries and lost personal property, runway damage and closure. But it looks like everyone escaped that conflagration. That's good, and really all that matters. Pretty spectacular, and a pee-meet-pants moment for passengers and crew. Thx 4 sharing.

2 hours ago, markharju said:

But it looks like everyone escaped that conflagration.

the plane had 78 people on board, and 41 died in the crash, so not sure what you mean by that, unless you mean everyone who made it to the slide got down it ok.

interesting read about the post-crash investigation is here:
https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/superjet-accident-probe-studies-heavy-handed-pilot-inputs/133097.article

summary: the plane had a lighting strike and enough electrical problems that the computers dropped the controls into alternate / direct law (like the air france cross-atlantic crash a few years ago)

the pilot did not do well without the computer assist, and smashed the plane into the runway, so now he is charged with being criminally negligent. pilot asserts plane was not responding well, black boxes apparently dispute that.

it's russia, so a little hard to know if the pilot is being thrown under the bus to avoid dinging the reputation / sales for the russian plane manufacturer. if anyone knows any rumors or backstory i'd be curious.

• Like 1

I didn't see the story about fatalities, and thought there were none. :-(

(edited)
2 hours ago, markharju said:

I didn't see the story about fatalities, and thought there were none. :-(

So, have any of you actually been on a Russian airplane in Russia? You know, like a Tupolev-154 on a short haul? The pilots had an entirely different opinion of what constitutes sobriety, at least when I was there. I was also on the World Team Transport and Jump aircraft in 1996. I recall looking at the military transports fascinated that they had the emergency cut out locations in English. The attached pic is a passenger aircraft.

I'm never surprised when a Russian plane crashes.

Cut Here.png

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 1

Dear SethinMI,

That article describes typical jerky control movements by a scared, over-loaded crew who are rusty on hand-flying.

The long-term solution is more simulator time practicing manual control.

The short-term solution is throwing the pilot under the bus. Insurance companies and airline executives always try to throw the pilot under the bus.

Legally, the practice - of blaming pilots - dates back to the days of sailing ships when they were away from home for months or years at a time and the captain was ultimately responsible for everything that occurred onboard. This ancient law provides lazy lawyers with a easy-out to blame one pilot and absolve every one else of guilt.

Truth is, modern airliners are far too complex for any single man/pilot/engineer to understand, which is why airlines overlay multiple people to schedule, screen passengers, brief passengers, maintain, navigate, calculate fuel loads, balance, clean, de-ice, inspect, herd passengers, etc.

• Like 1