1 1
JerryBaumchen

Who will get the Dem V-P Nomination

(edited)

I don't know who Biden will pick, but on the list you've provided I'd pick either Rice or Whitmer. Tulsi Gabbard would be an option too.

My sole criterion is that it should be a strong woman who is not currently sitting in the US Senate. It needs to be understood that when we pick a VP, we are effectively picking a US Senator, because the VP casts the tie breaking vote. The prospect of a deadlocked Senate after the 2020 election is high enough that I believe this should be the only criterion.

Democrats should view the VP choice as an opportunity to pick up a seat in the Senate. As such we should not be picking for a VP someone who is already sitting in the Senate, since we need their strong voices there. Even if the VP comes from a state with a Democratic governor who would surely appoint a Democratic replacement, appointments of that kind are going to be much weaker than an elected Senator with seniority. It is an extreme example, but the appointed Roland Burris proved to be a lot weaker than the elected Senator he replaced (Barack Obama). The Democrats lost that seat in the next election. Now that Democrats have again won that seat back (Tammy Duckworth) I think Duckworth and all strong women in the Senate should remain just that--strong women in the Senate.

But I do think Biden is right to want to pick a woman. I just think it should be a woman from outside the US Senate with one possible exception I'll now mention.

If I were Biden, and given how unusual this election is in multiple ways, I would be at least toying with the idea of pulling an Abe Lincoln and turning to a strong, but moderate, Republican woman to help unify the country. Susan Collins comes to mind.

Edited by SivaGanesha

13 minutes ago, SivaGanesha said:

If I were Biden, and given how unusual this election is in multiple ways, I would be at least toying with the idea of pulling an Abe Lincoln and turning to a strong, but moderate, Republican woman to help unify the country. Susan Collins comes to mind.

I wish that was a possibility, or, rather, a likelihood.

It would definitely make a difference in my voting.

20 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I think you mean in the best direction - 

Or are you simply JUST a Partisan, and unable to see across the aisle?

This year I'm a partisan. Frankly, I'm more than flummoxed that anyone who fancies themselves a thoughtful person could, at this juncture, believe that Trump/Pence might the better choice than a Biden/Howdy Doody ticket come November. That you would so imply is why many here see you as thoughtless and a troll. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

This year I'm a partisan. Frankly, I'm more than flummoxed that anyone who fancies themselves a thoughtful person could, at this juncture, believe that Trump/Pence might the better choice than a Biden/Howdy Doody ticket come November. That you would so imply is why many here see you as thoughtless and a troll. 

I'd vote for Biden/Charlie Sheen over Trump/Pence.

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

#1) Frankly, I'm more than flummoxed that anyone who fancies themselves a thoughtful person could, at this juncture, believe that Trump/Pence might the better choice than a Biden/Howdy Doody ticket come November.

#2) That you would so imply is why many here see you as thoughtless and a troll. 

Hi Joe,

I could not agree more with both points.

Sometimes it is as simple as 'the truth hurts.'

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

What's the point in being anything but partisan this year, or from now on? Where does looking across the aisle get you with rebublicans? Dems could play nice and try to compromise all they want but republicans will still try to screw them over any chance they get. It's no longer about getting along but about winning. McConnell & Graham must know this, as it seems evident by their encouragement of older judges to step down before the end of Trump's first term so they can continue packing the courts.

I will gladly cast my vote for Biden/LiMu Emu this fall.

16 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

It sets a good example.

It is better than being closed minded.

It is better than the image of the die hard republican you hold.

A good example for whom? Rebublicans? They won't follow it even if you set one. Whether or not rank & file party members are die hard or not, this is the reality with the officials they have elected. More specifically it is the reality with the party's leadership. You're right, I absolutely do have a closed mind at present, but that is because it is made up. After what happened with Merrick Garland's SC nomination I knew there was no other way. The past four years have merely solidified that position.