1 1
PlaneFun

Will Anybody be Current After this is Over?

I had a funny dream the other night: I was at the DZ but everyone was out of currency except for one instructor! So everybody had to go up one at a time with her to do a re-currency jump ha ha 

I'll be out or currency (B, almost C license) but I'm sure there will be some C and D license holders who will not. I bet a lot jumpers will need that re-currency jump though. Might be good for the financial health of the DZ and its employees...

39 minutes ago, PlaneFun said:

I bet a lot jumpers will need that re-currency jump though. Might be good for the financial health of the DZ and its employees...

I can't think of a single DZO or instructor who is looking forward to a bonanza from recurrency jumps.

• Like 2

So in the USPA you have some currency requirements for everyone, not just students?

(In Canada for the CSPA we have currency requirements for students. And annual currency for instructors and coaches to keep those ratings active (X jumps per 12 months stuff). But nothing about 'after 60 days without a jump you need to...'.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PlaneFun said:

Mark-Maybe I misunderstood your comment , but why would a DZO or instructor who hasn't been making any money for 1-2 months not look forward to doing $120-150 re-currency jumps with already-licensed jumpers? 

Damn where do they pay $120 for a recurrency jumps?

(edited)

I would expect that at DZ's where people who work there live (i.e. when they "shelter in place" they will remain at the DZ because that is where they live) they would still have the occasional load going up. The DZ might be closed to the general public and to skydivers who don't live at the DZ, but jumpers who live there could still jump.

Such people, although they will make far fewer jumps than in ordinary times, will still be jumping enough to stay current.

Edited by SivaGanesha
minor grammar correction

8 hours ago, PlaneFun said:

Mark-Maybe I misunderstood your comment , but why would a DZO or instructor who hasn't been making any money for 1-2 months not look forward to doing $120-150 re-currency jumps with already-licensed jumpers? 

How could any instructor/DZO sleep at night knowing they just raped a fellow jumper?  $120 for a D license holder to get current after 7 months is insane.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlaneFun said:

Hate to tell you this, and I am just going to be rude and blunt, but your DZO is fucking you in the ass if you are getting charged 120 - 150 for a recurrency jump as a licensed jumped. Maybe you are getting confused with an AFF jump to get recurrent as a student?

Most dropzones in New England offer free recurrency jumps at the start of the season. The uncurrent jumper pays their slot, and the dropzone covers the slot and the compensation for the instructor. Why? Because it is the non dickhead thing to do.

• Like 2

I gone over a year a couple of times. The SIM just says to make a jump under the supervision of an Instructor. The first time the Instructor watched me do a hop-n-pop from the ground. The second time, an Intrsuctor watched from the plane before dispatching his static line students. Technically, with an Otter,  you could have an I do a group emergency procedures refresher and then he/her could watch 20 hop-n-pops on the same load and they would all be current.

• Like 1

I have to chuckle.   Sorry,  but this is sorta an "okay boomer" moment.   In the northern climes,  no one had a "currency jump" despite not having jumped for6 months or so.   Bajeezus people, we jump out of airplanes toward certain death.  No one cares if your canopy or relative work skills are up to stuff. 

We enjoy flying DESPITE the risks for good God's sake. 

• Like 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, jimjumper said:

The SIM just says to make a jump under the supervision of an Instructor.

Actually it says to make a jump under the supervision of an 'instructional rating holder,' which is USPA terms for anyone with a Coach or above rating. Unless something has changed in the IRM in the last two years, Coaches are authorized to do recurrency jumps which means your Coach could be someone with 150ish jumps and a B license doing your reccurency jump. As such to pay $120 for that would be insane.

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 2

20kN is correct. Coaches are certainly allowed, and encouraged to do recurrency jumps. And please read the SIM carefully.  Look at the exact wording of "should" and "must" in terms of recurrency for license holders. The requirements are different for licensed jumpers compared to rating holders. Those words were chosen specifically. Ultimately, it is up to the local S&TA or DZO what a "recurrency jump" might be. Trust your local S&TA, he was chosen by the USPA Regional Director in a high position of trust and authority. On the local DZ, their word is pretty much how it is. And rules may vary from DZ to DZ depending on the DZO and S&TA.

Paul Gholson

Southern Regional Director

• Like 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, skybytch said:

Truth.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was happening at a large dz.  

I guess it depends on if you're a local and they know you or not. I have never heard of a DZ asking to see a logbook of someone they know, but if you've never jumped there they for sure will ask to see that you are current. I've jumped at around 40 DZs and every single one of them asked to see my logbook, even Lodi required it. I've actually been to a few DZs that never checked my reserve packing card or asked to see my rig and I jumped at one DZ that let people jump without any form of DZ brief, but every DZ has still asked to see my logbook.

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:34 AM, skybytch said:

How could any instructor/DZO sleep at night knowing they just raped a fellow jumper?  $120 for a D license holder to get current after 7 months is insane.

I have a D license and went to Skydive City just a month ago or so after a 7 month lay off with Flying Hellfish 1 and he has about 2000 jumps with about a year layoff and they wanted $99 for a coached jump and $49 for a recurrency training from both of us. So we went to Lake Wales and they did it for $100. It looks like Skydive City went up on the price to $110 for a coach jump now also. I did a couple more jumps at Lake Wales before the shutdown so I drive another hour further to go Lake Wales now.

1 hour ago, Stusmooth said:

I have a D license and went to Skydive City just a month ago or so after a 7 month lay off with Flying Hellfish 1 and he has about 2000 jumps with about a year layoff and they wanted $99 for a coached jump and $49 for a recurrency training from both of us. So we went to Lake Wales and they did it for $100. It looks like Skydive City went up on the price to $110 for a coach jump now also. I did a couple more jumps at Lake Wales before the shutdown so I drive another hour further to go Lake Wales now.

Is everyone here to honest to fudge a jump in a logbook? Sheesh.....

Hahahahaahahaha!!

a few years ago now.....  I needed to get my monkey ass back inthe air after 8 years on the deck.. started with a torn deltoid then my wife got cancer so it go's!!

Showedup at GOLDCOAST lumberton MS.  leanne said i had to jump with one of her instructor's "FIRST!!...  

I tried not to scare JD too much  ... on take off roll i unfolded "SAMMY SKULL!!!!!"  (Old SO. CAL JUMPER'S KNOW!!!" and as the wheel's lifted, I lifted Sam andyelled "BLUE SKIES, BLACK DEATH!!!!" Much to the shagrin of all on board including "JC!!"  thnI turned and looked at him and said, "I hope I didn't scare you too much!!!"  

The dive was GREAT!!  JC signed me off .. I seriously think he will NEVER forget me!!!

skybill