1 1

WaPo: Wuhan Deaths May Be 10x More

"The coronavirus pandemic ravaging the globe officially claimed 2,563 lives in Wuhan, where it began in a market that sold exotic animals for consumption. But evidence emerging from the city as it stirs from its two-month hibernation suggests that the real death toll is exponentially higher."

The CCP appears to be under-reporting COVID-19 by at least an order of magnitude, but of course the broadcast news media, being the communist syncophants they are, could not care less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-families-should-be-sweeping-graves-now-but-thousands-still-havent-buried-their-dead/2020/04/03/5a6daa50-7234-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

With what we know about the virus and how to spreads and acts it would seem very unlikely that China is reporting the truth.

Agreed. The metrics for every country show an upward-curving ski slope. China's is flat. It's the only one. Iran tried to do the same, but their control over communications is not as airtight as China's, and Iran has a much more restive population who won't act like mindless robots and are in some cases risking a beating from the Basij, or worse, a visit from the Quds, for getting the truth out. Meanwhile here in the West we beef about our leadership (and some even spew the most vile hatred) without the slightest retribution. In China's "Social Credit" system, dissidents get turned into organ donors or "Bodies" exhibits, and no one cares. I wouldn't speak up either.

25 minutes ago, kallend said:

"suggests that the real death toll is exponentially higher."

"Exponentially" does not mean "very much".

Yea, I've been through the same argument with "decimate". You just have to accept common meaning over technical meaning sometimes.

20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yea, I've been through the same argument with "decimate". You just have to accept common meaning over technical meaning sometimes.

Ever since I learned what decimate really means, it annoys the hell out of me every time I see it used incorrectly, (which is almost always).

(edited)
2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Ever since I learned what decimate really means, it annoys the hell out of me every time I see it used incorrectly, (which is almost always).

In the context of collective punishment it is apropos because we are all having our lives disrupted and many are being made to suffer severely because of the actions of the few.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, ryoder said:

Decimate has a current and a historic definition. It is equivalent of steadfastly maintaining you really meant happy when you called somebody gay. 

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Decimate has a current and a historic definition.

Covid-19 has a potential to decimate the population in the historic sense, but probably not the modern sense. I will simply avoid using the word because it has become too imprecise and seems like hyperbole now.

15 hours ago, feuergnom said:

so much for blaming the chinese government for lying and obscuring facts....

I don't see anyone 'not blaming' the Chinese.

I see a LOT of people making excuses for Trump.

It's kinda funny. China covered up the true numbers, tried to minimize the damage. The truth is coming out.
Iran sorta tried but failed badly.
Russia is trying to hide how bad it is, but word is getting out. Apparently it's really bad in the rural areas, and they simply don't have the healthcare capabilities to handle it (think Italy but way worse). 

What do all those governments have in common?

Then you have Trump, who minimized, lied and pretended that it wasn't happening for over 2 months. 

Go figure.

(edited)

The more time spent assigning blame, the less time spent trying to find a possible way to address each health system's holes. And a heath system in this case might be state, county, city, or area -- it's any group that (hopefully) communicates among each other to make sure that the most supplies go to the place that needs them NOW, without compromising too much their anticipated future need. Which means balancing hoarding against giving it all away.

Kind of like toilet paper for us, but the stakes are a whole lot higher. We're only trying to cover our own asses (:halo:), they're trying to cover everyone's in their area. 

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I don't see anyone 'not blaming' the Chinese.

I see a LOT of people making excuses for Trump.

It's kinda funny. China covered up the true numbers, tried to minimize the damage. The truth is coming out.
Iran sorta tried but failed badly.
Russia is trying to hide how bad it is, but word is getting out. Apparently it's really bad in the rural areas, and they simply don't have the healthcare capabilities to handle it (think Italy but way worse). 

What do all those governments have in common?

Then you have Trump, who minimized, lied and pretended that it wasn't happening for over 2 months. 

Go figure.

maybe I just should have said "same shit different place" to make the point. sometimes communicating precise in a foreign language is not easy... :-/

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

How much different would this have been had an adult (even one like Pence)  been in charge?

Hi Joe,

That's two questions in one.  IMO Pence is not any more capable of dealing with something like this than Trump is.  

An actual adult?  A whole world of difference IMO.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  One thing that I will give Pence; his religion is thru & thru.  Where with Trump it is barely skin deep, if that.