1 1
billvon

Coronavirus hall of shame (by state)

(edited)
7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

This is about making money. 

I've never really understood when the left stands on their soapbox and says this - everything is about making money. You, me, Joe, All of us are motivated by money. Even Gowlerk has a piece of a dropzone - all in the interest of making more money. Now, if you're talking about profiteering, that's different. But, it's not what you're saying. 

Edited by BIGUN

10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I've never really understood when the left stands on their soapbox and says this - everything is about making money. You, me, Joe, All of us are motivated by money. Even Gowlerk has a piece of a dropzone - all in the interest of making more money. Now, if you're talking about profiteering, that's different. But, it's not what you're saying. 

If you have even the remotest awareness of context you'd see that's exactly what he's saying.

38 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Yes we are.

But making money is not the pre-eminenent motivation for many of us, and I doubt it is for you.

Donald Trump, OTOH, seems 100% motivated by making money for Trump. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Even Gowlerk has a piece of a dropzone - all in the interest of making more money.

Well.....actually no. I do make money as a rigger and doing tandems. But no one in our ownership group is expecting to make money on it. We are hoping not to lose any. But that aside, I work to make money. And I see nothing wrong with making money, it is a necessary part of living a successful life. "The Left" is not against people making money. But it is aghast at some of the excesses of unchecked capitalism.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:39 AM, BIGUN said:

Now, if you're talking about profiteering, that's different. But, it's not what you're saying. 

That's exactly what I am saying.

A Republican fundraiser started a new company 2 weeks ago. That company is now the largest distributor of PPE in the US...in 2 weeks.

The federal government controls the supply side and on the demand side is ensuring the states have to bid up prices on the open market. The PPE then get funneled through this Republican owned company that is 2 weeks old.

I mean, I guess you can call it Capitalism.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

(edited)
13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

....I mean, I guess you can call it America.

"When asked how his company was able to set up such a large supply chain when desperate health care workers have resorted to using trash bags and bandanas to protect themselves, Gula said only, “I have relationships with a lot of people.” Those relationships include Senators McSally(Evangelical Christian) and Daines(Climate change denier, radical christian). Gula says he’s “helping” his clients through the end of the fundraising quarter that concludes March 31 — continuing to work for them as he cashes in on the dire shortage of test kits, masks, and other needed supplies.

“It’s alarming that a DC political fundraiser could set up a massive medical supply company while health care providers across the country struggle to obtain that same equipment,’” said DSCC spokesperson Helen Kalla. “His clients — including Senators McSally and Daines — will have to explain what they know about their longtime campaign aide trying to corner the market on lifesaving supplies during a public health crisis and why they’ve accepted his help.”

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

That company is now the largest distributor of PPE in the US...in 2 weeks.

That may be what he says, but that doesn't make it true. He's a lobbyist. I dunno. We may have to see how this shakes out, because in my experience guys like him wind up out of business or in jail 

6 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

"When asked how his company was able to set up such a large supply chain when desperate health care workers have resorted to using trash bags and bandanas to protect themselves, Gula said only, “I have relationships with a lot of people.”

After Kushner said that the emergency PPE stockpile for the states was actually "supposed to be our stockpile" - it's pretty clear who he has relationships with.

(edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, kallend said:

Yes we are.

But making money is not the pre-eminenent motivation for many of us, and I doubt it is for you.

Donald Trump, OTOH, seems 100% motivated by making money for Trump. 

Agreed but he is so bad at it, so stupid, that even when he has advanced knowledge of the cards to be played. He still loses.

Peter Navarro,assistant to the president, laid it out in a memo dated January 29th.

“The lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine would leave Americans defenseless in the case of a full-blown coronavirus outbreak on U.S. soil,” Mr. Navarro’s memo said. “This lack of protection elevates the risk of the coronavirus evolving into a full-blown pandemic, imperiling the lives of millions of Americans.” Peter Navarro said failure to contain a coronavirus outbreak could lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and trillions of dollars in economic losses."

Edited by Phil1111