jptheamericanfriend@gmail.

My wife needs help!

Folks, my wife has ALS and I am trying to figure out if i can create some kind of suspension harness rig in my house so she can get out of the chair / bed which is where she spends 100% of her time. does anyone know if this is possible using used parachuting equipment? a harness and some kind of rig I could suspend from the ceiling? any help would be amazing! thanks, best, Jonathan Penner

I'd suggest having a master parachute rigger put something together for you from new materials.  Contact one of the larger lofts (usually located on large dz's) or a harness/container manufacturer; they can probably point you in the right direction if they can't help you out themselves.  

The other possibility is simply to get (or crowdfund) a patient hoist, already made for this. But an engine hoist with a sling would also work, if you have the materials. There are a lot of models of patient hoist that riggers or anyone else can copy. 

I'll bet your wife would love this! good luck.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 1:22 PM, jptheamericanfriend@gmail. said:

does anyone know if this is possible using used parachuting equipment? 

You might consider an old tandem passenger harness.  You'd need a spreader bar and some hardware to provide the right loading but that's not hard to put together.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, jptheamericanfriend@gmail. said:

Folks, my wife has ALS and I am trying to figure out if i can create some kind of suspension harness rig in my house so she can get out of the chair / bed which is where she spends 100% of her time. does anyone know if this is possible using used parachuting equipment? a harness and some kind of rig I could suspend from the ceiling? any help would be amazing! thanks, best, Jonathan Penner

Jonathon, have you solved your issue with assisting your wife from bed to chair?