turtlespeed

What to do with these kids?

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

But virtual school works just fine.  The infrastructure already exists.

Just need teachers to switch over to fill the demand.

I know that it is hard to believe, in a day when welfare moms have newer/better smart phones that I do (I'm still on my first one), but a lot of kids don't have access to computers and internet at home.  This is the US, not South Korea.

9 hours ago, jakee said:

Then why were you emphasising the TEACHing part in your original post? Parents can be great parents without having the knowledge required to adequately replace an entire school faculty. 

Frankly I'm extremely surprised that you of all people would think that those who aren't academic  are automatically bad parents.

Sadly not all teachers are good parents either.

Schooling from home effectively now will benefit richer kids. Poorer families don’t have a laptop or iPad per child, quiet space for them to work etc.

6 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Sadly not all teachers are good parents either.

Schooling from home effectively now will benefit richer kids. Poorer families don’t have a laptop or iPad per child, quiet space for them to work etc.

too bad we can't just have some sort of small computer that the schools could give to their kids, like a raspberry pi, that along with a keyboard, mouse, and hdmi cable can connect to the tv and be used by anyone for about $50.  everyone has a tv, and for those that don't, a small one can be had from a pawn shop for around $50.  if schools can give the kids an ipad, then for less than a quarter of that they could have a fully functional computer.  but apple didn't market that to them, so here we are.

6 hours ago, headoverheels said:

but a lot of kids don't have access to computers and internet at home.  This is the US

The schools near me have decided to give out the chromebooks they use in class until they can bridge the internet gap more thoroughly. Organizations are stepping up to help and it'll take some time in the new normal to get all kids online learning, but things are heading that direction. I'm constantly getting emails from the school asking me what resources I need for internet access. Kinda cracks me up - if you can get an email - doesn't your child have access to the Internet?  ;P  

18 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

The schools near me have decided to give out the chromebooks they use in class until they can bridge the internet gap more thoroughly. Organizations are stepping up to help and it'll take some time in the new normal to get all kids online learning, but things are heading that direction. I'm constantly getting emails from the school asking me what resources I need for internet access. Kinda cracks me up - if you can get an email - doesn't your child have access to the Internet?  ;P  

Access to and devices they can use aren't the same thing. I can read and respond to emails all day long on my mobile device, but I can't begin to work from that platform.

There are still efforts to build out internet access to rural areas around the planet, as well as efforts to provide devices for schools to use.

Starlink looks to be doing a rather decent job of getting their infrastructure in place.

We currently have 2 of our grandsons here in FL hiding from the virus issue. They live in the Atlanta metro area, and have some rather impressive virtual classroom access with solid content and active teachers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, normiss said:

Access to and devices they can use aren't the same thing. I can read and respond to emails all day long on my mobile device, but I can't begin to work from that platform.

There are still efforts to build out internet access to rural areas around the planet, as well as efforts to provide devices for schools to use.

All true, Brother. I was thinking more along the lines of if I can get emails on my phone; then hand the phone to the kid and let them click on the hyperlink and let them do their school work. Really rural - very true. Parts of Oklahoma are like West -by God- Virginia. But even then, if there's no infrastructure from an ISP and they have a cell tower - then hot spot. (Course, that sentence right there prolly would blow some country folks away. : )