turtlespeed

What to do with these kids?

Now that there is virtually no school. 

Parents are no longer able to count on the Nanny State to watch their children for them.

I have heard that some teachers are being offered large amounts (compared to their salaries) to "bootleg" teach some kids.

What do we do without a Nanny State to TEACH these kids.

Last I checked, a lot of the parents that are now responsible for that task, can't even do maths in their heads, let alone understand much of what was being taught.

(edited)
55 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Now that there is virtually no school. 

But virtual school works just fine.  The infrastructure already exists.

Just need teachers to switch over to fill the demand.

Edited by Coreece

24 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Depends on the material, and depends on the child. Some need more hands-on learning, some need an actual dedicated space for learning (not all homes have that), and some just need occasional one-on-one comments and encouragement.

Wendy P.

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Depends on the material, and depends on the child. Some need more hands-on learning, some need an actual dedicated space for learning (not all homes have that), and some just need occasional one-on-one comments and encouragement.

Wendy P.

My point is that this is tha OH SHIT moment where parents are going to have to step up to the plate and actually be PARENTS and not just shirk that responsibility off on to the school system.

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:
33 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Wendy P.

Maximizing the benefits of virtual schooling for normal people will maximize the chances of surivial for those that depend on normal people for survival.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

My point is that this is tha OH SHIT moment where parents are going to have to step up to the plate and actually be PARENTS and not just shirk that responsibility off on to the school system.

Not sure teaching algebra is necessarily a parental responsibility. Most parents I know, including myself, are helping their children find resources to not fall behind. part of those resources are what the education facilities are making available.

Just now, gowlerk said:

I know you are, but what am I?

DO you want me to out the individual teachers that I know are taking advantage of this?

. . . or do you want to stick to your bullshit parody of how you think Trump speaks, just so you can believe that you are funny, trying to correlate my statement to some of his, therefore trying to discredit it if front of your circle of jerks?

• Like 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Not sure teaching algebra is necessarily a parental responsibility. Most parents I know, including myself, are helping their children find resources to not fall behind. part of those resources are what the education facilities are making available.

I hope that is true for Americans as well.

I just don't have faith.

Edited by turtlespeed

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Maximizing the benefits of virtual schooling for normal people will maximize the chances of surivial for those that depend on normal people for survival.

My worry is for those in the inner city.  Not as many people have the capability to set up virtual schools as you might believe.

On the bright side . . . its a good thing it only takes a very small amount of brain power to farm (According to Bloomberg) -  Those Midwestern farmland inhabitants can get by without school just fine! <sarcasm>

Edited by turtlespeed

40 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And this is going to increase inequality - it doesn't matter how good at academics the child is, their progress during social distancing would be limited by how good at academics their parents are.

45 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

and not just shirk that responsibility off on to the school system

so...what is the role of the school system in society?

17 minutes ago, olofscience said:

it doesn't matter how good at academics the child is, their progress during social distancing would be limited by how good at academics their parents are.

My children still have access to their teachers, though through email, phone and video conferencing. Nothing formalized yet, but lots of informal contact. Assignments etc are due. So I don't think it only falls on the parents. Or at least it shouldn't.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Then why were you emphasising the TEACHing part in your original post? Parents can be great parents without having the knowledge required to adequately replace an entire school faculty. 

Frankly I'm extremely surprised that you of all people would think that those who aren't academic  are automatically bad parents.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

My worry is for those in the inner city.

Why?  Same day different shit.

There was a good article in today's paper here about the school year; many of the teachers and the like are considering this to be not quite a lost year, but grades will be more dependent on completion and participation, and rigor will be lost, just because of the upheaval and disruption, never mind the teaching situation and some kids not having a good situation at home.

Some kids will thrive; they're not the "why can't do you that," they're the "wow!" people.

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

What do we do without a Nanny State to TEACH these kids.

Wait til education figures out that the Taj Mahal School buildings and that as many teachers, superintendents  and administrators become less necessary. We've been using Khan Academy (for years)  until the school releases their "approved curriculum." We'll see how that works. IMO Khan Academy is great. My kid can whip your kid at math.

In the meantime, I kinda like to be the Dad and make her laugh, "Baby Girl, let's tell Alexa to fart." 

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

And this is going to increase inequality - it doesn't matter how good at academics the child is, their progress during social distancing would be limited by how good at academics their parents are.

so...what is the role of the school system in society?

I agree very much on the possibility of the first part.

The second part, the answer is Teachers, as opposed to the parents themselves.

The teachers should not be given the role of raising the child.  They should be given the task of educating.

I understand there will always be some overlap.  Parents haven't been held accountable enough.  The school system WAS being used more and more as a babysitting service.

14 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Wait til education figures out that the Taj Mahal School buildings and that as many teachers, superintendents  and administrators become less necessary. We've been using Khan Academy (for years)  until the school releases their "approved curriculum." We'll see how that works. IMO Khan Academy is great. My kid can whip your kid at math.

In the meantime, I kinda like to be the Dad and make her laugh, "Baby Girl, let's tell Alexa to fart." 

But - But - But - how will they indoctrinate?

<I just can't help it> I'm sorry.

Bad Turtle.