1 1
syost00

What comes with a used reserve?

(edited)

Frequently in the past the data card has traveled with the used reserve canopy. However this is not a hard and fast rule. Optimums and PD Reserves have a record of the number of repacks and deployments on the label. That is what most people go on. Other than that any canopy should come with links, the slider, and nothing else except perhaps it may have a line card to help keep the lines sorted. But that is not necessary.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Other than that any canopy should come with links,

Not necessarily. Probably with a reserve, but not necessarily with a main. I have bought used mains (and even one brand new one) that did not come with slinks. It's a used gear listing so legally speaking the only thing that comes with it is what the seller says comes with it. If the seller does not specifically say something comes with it and the buyer incorrectly assume it does, that's on the buyer. Always ask if you're unsure.

8 hours ago, 20kN said:

Not necessarily. Probably with a reserve, but not necessarily with a main. I have bought used mains (and even one brand new one) that did not come with slinks. It's a used gear listing so legally speaking the only thing that comes with it is what the seller says comes with it. If the seller does not specifically say something comes with it and the buyer incorrectly assume it does, that's on the buyer. Always ask if you're unsure.

Are you going on about this again? Like I and several other people told you the last time you made this statement, links are canopy parts and are supplied with the canopy. This is the industry standard for new canopies. When you buy used all bets are off. No one is talking about legalities here, except you.

• Like 4

Parachute Industry Association Technical Standard 102 says that reserve canopies are supposed to be shipped with: bridle attachment (relevant with round canopies), canopy, suspension lines, connector links, deployment devices (e.g. slider) and manual.

Military Specifications say that packing data cards travel with the reserve canopy. This is partly because containers wear out long before canopies. 

If in doubt, send photocopies of packing data cards with second-hand: canopies, AADs aand harness/containers.

(edited)

Normal practice is that the pack data card _should_ stay with the reserve canopy, though I have also heard of the other extreme attitude that "the pack data card need only show the most recent packjob, so who cares"

Personally, I would like to have the standard phased in that each major component has its own service record.  Yea.. I know, the devil's in the details on that idea... but still I think it would be nice to know where the container has been, and whats been done to it as well, even if the canopy changed.

BTW - yea... links go with it.  even if they're shot and need replacing (in that case, ya send 'em and note their deficiency).  If for no other reason that keeping things neat. (edited to add... OK, this is what _should_be_ IMHO, but used... you never know if they don't say it)

JW

Edited by fcajump

(edited)
On 4/16/2020 at 12:24 PM, fcajump said:

.... the other extreme attitude that "the pack data card need only show the most recent packjob, so who cares" ....

JW

Lazy attitude!

With no written record of Service Bulletins, this forces the next rigged to look up all the old Service Bulletins, inspect the gear and maybe charge the owner because he had to repeat an inspection.

This is one of the reasons that younger riggers refuse to repack reserves more then 20 years old, because it is difficult to find SBs that were published before the inter-web became fashionable.

Edited by riggerrob

On 4/16/2020 at 2:24 PM, fcajump said:

I think it would be nice to know where the container has been, and whats been done to it as well, even if the canopy changed.

Back when I worked in a pro shop that sold used gear, I got into the habit of photocopying the data card if the container and reserve were being sold separately, and sending the original with the reserve, and the photocopy with the container, for just this reason.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, riggerrob said:

This is one of the reasons that younger riggers refuse to repack reserves more then 20 years old, because it is difficult to find SBs that were published before the inter-web became fashionable.

I had a ~18y.o. closet-queen PEP brought to me once, table total (50-lb pull wouldn't dislodge it).  Original factory pack job on it (seal matched card).  Searched for SB's, didn't find anything but called the mfg. and found that there was a SB so old it hadn't been posted online (SB came out just after this rig was made) about a housing change that could cause exactly this problem.  Remedy was to move the RC housing back a bit from the first loop. Simple, but had to be chased to ground.

JW

On 3/28/2020 at 8:39 PM, 20kN said:

Are you kidding me? A main canopy ALWAYS need to come with links, just like a reserve canopy does.