2 2
Phil1111

The Road to Coronavirus Hell Was Paved by Evangelicals

2 hours ago, billvon said:

It's like the War on Christmas.  Every year, with Christmas decorations on every corner, Christmas ads on TV, Christmas music playing on the radio and Christmas movies playing in the theaters, there is no doubt that the war on Christmas is suppressing any expression of Christmas.

There are two legal businesses in which the vendor is under no obligation to provide anything of value upon receiving the customer's money:

- Gambling

- Religion

Only one of them is tax-exempt.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

He will always feel under attack whenever anything negative is said about any aspect of Christianity. It is just part of who he is. Find a different religious tradition to make fun of and he will not care in the least. Jerry implied that the neighbour's gathering had something to do with a group of Christians celebrating Easter. This sort of thing upsets coreece because he believes that his religion is under near constant unfair attack.

White conservative evangelicals feel threatened by the cultural changes that democrats stand for.That Mr. Obama and HRC stand for. The concept that black, brown and mixed race voters could overcome republican gerrymandering. Or even vote en-masse. Overthrow the christian power base within the republican party. Its all about fear of what changes could overtake their ideologies.

Christianity above all other religions in the US. Special status within the state including Christmas and Easter holidays. In "God" we trust on the currency and protections of law not afforded other religions.Including the pandering of presidents, governors and other politicians to their church.

Most Sundays from the pulpits sermons deliver the message of endless attacks on them and their souls. From sin and non-Christians. Those messages encourage that fear.

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Find a different religious tradition to make fun of and he will not care in the least.

That's demonstrably false.

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Jerry implied that the neighbour's gathering had something to do with a group of Christians celebrating Easter. This sort of thing upsets coreece because he believes that his religion is under near constant unfair attack.

Nah, if people are being irresponsible and in violation of the law, then it should be handled as dictated by law with police discretion.

What would be upsetting is if the law dictated that they all be locked down in quarantine and/or documented, denied due process along with medical attention and then left to die as suggested in another thread.

In Coreece's defense there are Christians, Muslims and other religions that do good. Who seek to live lives for the greater good of their community. They are generally not found on TV.

trump and his association with evangelicals has destroyed the good will done by the Christian church. Faustian bargains have consequence.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Easter?

Could be something else; this old atheist does not keep up with that stuff.

Jerry Baumchen

Hey Jerry,

I've never understood the celebration of a missing body. Weird.

Also - thanks for the help yesterday. The blocking is complete and functional now. I was unaware of the settings, still don't understand why the one option was not enabled.

34 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You are American. Get sick and lose your health benefits. See what happens then.

Understood. Insurance is a regular discussion in our house. Skymama insists on it, even when I've been between jobs.

It's the cost of a nice house payment already. Even a shitty plan can easily cost over $1000 a month.

If I were single, I'd probably go without it and accept the risk. One of the benefits of a good corporate job though.

8 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread or the deplorable thread.  Either way, douchebaggery

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/493237-louisiana-pastor-donate-stimulus-checks-evangelists

And now the Douche's lawyer has COVID-19:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/17/lawyer-for-louisiana-pastor-who-defiantly-held-church-service-has-coronavirus/

8 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread or the deplorable thread.  Either way, douchebaggery

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/493237-louisiana-pastor-donate-stimulus-checks-evangelists

38 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I must be perverted because my first thought was that this should be in the thread "Those little things that make you happy". But its an imperfect world.

In any event it give one pause to think perhaps there is a god.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I must be perverted because my first thought was that this should be in the thread "Those little things that make you happy". But its an imperfect world.

In any event it give one pause to think perhaps there is a god.

Satan does gambling, hookers, gay sex, premarital sex, and other sins.

God does plagues, earthquakes, hurricanes, killer floods, volcanoes;  the big stuff to punish the sinners (and others in their vicinity).

5 minutes ago, kallend said:

God does plagues, earthquakes, hurricanes, killer floods, volcanoes;  the big stuff to punish the sinners (and others in their vicinity).

Sometimes She guides the football into the arms of the receiver in big games. Maybe she has a bet in with Satan?

• Like 1

(edited)
23 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You mean Hoffa?

Nah, that Jebus guy. I think he went missing before Hoffa.

Neither one of them appears to have just gotten up and walked away after death though.

Speaking of Hoffa, The Irishman is a very good movie if you haven't caught it yet.

I've yet to see a good Jebus movie. - oh wait! Holy Hell shows how insane religion can be though, I found that one intriguing.

Edited by normiss

On 4/19/2020 at 4:16 AM, normiss said:

Speaking of Hoffa, The Irishman is a very good movie if you haven't caught it yet.

I've yet to see a good Jebus movie. - oh wait! Holy Hell shows how insane religion can be though, I found that one intriguing.

And if you want a good scary movie, check out "Jesus Camp."   Although we've been seeing the scary bits in the US for the past four years.  Spoiler alert: the parts that scared me most were the ignorant ones calling into radio shows (and we've seen that attitude on full display since the current administration)