1 1
kallend

We Need a Sacrifice to Mammon

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I just crossed into Canada with a load of TP going to Montreal. I started the trip bringing wood pulp to a P&G plant in Green Bay where they make paper products. Then I loaded in a nearby plant in Neenah WI. I crossed at Sault Ste. Marie after driving through the MI upper peninsula. I'm sure Wolf River Joe knows all these roads! There is very little traffic. I have been able to avoid nearly all human contact. I will certainly skip having a shower at a truck stop along the way. It will be 6 days on the road before I get home if all goes well. My reload out of the Montreal area back to Winnipeg is already planned.

You're driving a load of TP???:$

Aren't you worried about being hijacked?

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Wrong and wrong. China and S. Korea are both on the back side of the pandemic.Both in less than 60 days. Both with leadership.

They quarantined an entire district. They have done that for a month.

We are sheltering in place.  In some instances - we have nowhere near the exposure level they did.

We are being somewhat responsible, from what I understand.

The restrictions will be reduced as time goes on, but we won't be free of all restrictions for 90 days.

That is my prediction

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

The NY times has removed subscription requirements for stories on coronavirus.

The section with graphs is superb. You can follow many variables in a easy to understand way. According to the graph above. The US will surpass China and Iran in about a week. Iran's numbers of course can't be trusted. China likely reliable IMO.

I'm not trying to be a smartass this time - are you serious that you believe that china is likely reliable now?

3 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

We are sheltering in place.  In some instances - we have nowhere near the exposure level they did.

And nowhere near the quarantine level they had.

I'd suggest you go to a local shopping center and see if it's deserted.  In most states, people are still partying in bars.

49 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Wow - great national healthcare system they have. <sarcasm>

I still haven't heard why Italy, specifically, is so high on the death toll list.

Granted - I haven't spent much time looking either.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

And nowhere near the quarantine level they had.

I'd suggest you go to a local shopping center and see if it's deserted.  In most states, people are still partying in bars.

Not here - Dallas County is "Shelter in Place" Tarrant County is following soon, but just asking compliance at this time.

I've had three of my commercial construction projects shut down because the clients are based in Dallas county.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The restrictions will be reduced as time goes on, but we won't be free of all restrictions for 90 days.

That is my prediction

Have a look at the graphs here.   They are free and updated regularly. You do know that after the Chinese government's initial coverup. They went to war and have been transparent to WHO and others? That Chinese stormtroopers dragged curfew violators off to jail? Why would they lie if they are now opening up restrictions.

14 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm not trying to be a smartass this time - are you serious that you believe that china is likely reliable now?

Hmm, assuming that certain people are lying... Turtle, just for complete clarity here could you confirm that you hate the Chinese government?

21 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Really don't understand the point of this comment. They do have a rather good healthcare system. it is simply completely overwhelmed at this point.

Do you think the US system will do much better when you get to 500,000 cases?

17 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

China was at least 4 weeks ahead of the exponential growth curve that Italy was on. If they continued on the 5-day doubling rate they would have more than 100 million cases by now. If 2% of those die, that's 2 million people and would completely overwhelm their healthcare system. A body count like that would be difficult to hide even for them.

14 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I still haven't heard why Italy, specifically, is so high on the death toll list.

Italy has one of the oldest populations (in terms of average age) in Europe. Go ahead and make fun of their overwhelmed healthcare system, because US-style healthcare is the best right? It's about to be tested like never before...I hope for your sake it's up to the challenge.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

You're driving a load of TP???:$

Aren't you worried about being hijacked?

I’m not particularly concerned with security for this load. My next load back to Winnipeg is coming from a company called Diagio. It may be more concerning.

52 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Really don't understand the point of this comment. They do have a rather good healthcare system. it is simply completely overwhelmed at this point.

Do you think the US system will do much better when you get to 500,000 cases?

One of our local, very highly rated, hospitals has put out a call for masks.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Hmm, assuming that certain people are lying... Turtle, just for complete clarity here could you confirm that you hate the Chinese government?

That's ridiculous.  

I blame them for their cover up.

I do not trust them, because of their constant cover ups.

Neither of those two things equal hate.

32 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That's ridiculous.  

I blame them for their cover up.

I do not trust them, because of their constant cover ups.

Neither of those two things equal hate.

And the brazen hypocrisy of your statement escapes you... why?

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

And the brazen hypocrisy of your statement escapes you... why?

What are you talking about?

Fact - China tried to cover it up.

Fact - I distrust the information China gives out  BECAUSE they tried to cover it up.

I'm dying to know how that is hypocrisy. Let alone BRAZEN hypocrisy.

I'll further this by saying that NOW - China is trying to blame Italy.

THAT instills even MORE distrust.<eyeroll>

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm hoping it's because we will be better prepared.

Knowing what's to come - what preparation can the US do to avoid getting the healthcare system overwhelmed?

1. Manufacture more PPEs, ventilators, etc? Yes this could be done
  2. Train more doctors and nurses? Takes years and years.
  3. Build 10x hospital bed capacity? China built a hospital in 10 days. Granted, quality was probably pretty bad, but it would be interesting to see the US match this.

So the US can probably address the equipment shortage (1) quickly. But (2) and (3) will be challenging to address. There is of course, (4): reducing the number of infected via lockdowns. Which authoritarian China was structurally more oriented at doing.

Good luck, you'll need it.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What are you talking about?

Fact - China tried to cover it up.

Fact - I distrust the information China gives out  BECAUSE they tried to cover it up.

I'm dying to know how that is hypocrisy. Let alone BRAZEN hypocrisy.

Because faced with a history of deception, you assume that following statements are intentional falsehoods (even though you don't even know whether they are false), and this doesn't require you to hate anyone. 

In the other thread I and others have, faced with a history of deception from Trump, said that a statement we know is false and which others in the Admin knew at the time was false, was a lie. You said this must be ascribing malicious intent which we're only doing because of hate. Is that a sufficiently detailed description of that brazen hypocrisy for you to understand?

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Is that a sufficiently detailed description of that brazen hypocrisy for you to understand?

No - you are using a black and white analogy, that holds little, if any, merit.

You are also wrongly associating my suggestions of a different motivation as trust.

This is not a case of "This or That"

NOW - if I had a years long posting history of berating, belittling, along with showing massive amounts of contempt, and disrespect for the Chinese government at every turn, as you do with Trump, that might make a difference in your argument.

. . . But, I don't. 

That is simply because I don't hate the the Chinese government.  I distrust their wanting to save face due to embarrassment on this issue.  There is no Hypocrisy.. . . . on my end.