1 1
Phil1111

trump to Ease Restrictions and FOX News Agrees

9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The whole thing about Easter is a Pipe Dream and a "Wish", designed to give the people some hope.

Right, and talking about the thousands of suicides that will happen if restrictions continue beyond then (which they almost certainly will) is so joyously hopeful.

A goal - but an unreachable goal, at best . . . a white lie at worst.  I'm pretty sure he knows that, too.

A white lie? He's talking about packed churches in a couple of weeks time. Church services cntinuing have already been a problem even in the most well prepared and co-ordinated countries. In the US a lot of Trump's most ardent supporters and also most anti-science communities are hardcore church goers. You don't think there's a good chance that several of them are planning to pack the churches in a couple of weeks because Trump said it was OK and Coronavirus is just an overhyped cold? This is a white lie that could kill people.

I have no doubt that if Pelosi was saying this you'd be going fucking apeshit.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:27 AM, kallend said:

Gotta keep those campaign contributions coming in from the 1%.

Dead store workers, nurses, paramedics - just collateral damage. They don't contribute much anyway.

This is callous, but in all seriousness I do think there is a point where you balance economic catastrophe with death. 

In everyday life decisions are made that trade the cost of life, with the benefit of convenience. Imagine if all car travel was limited to 20MPH and you couldn’t buy anything faster? Road fatalities would go way down. Might be a silly and extreme example.

There will become a point where governments need to decide when to lift  restrictions and it will be before many medical professionals agree with them. From what I’ve seen Trump is dreaming though! Let’s just hope the experts make the best trade off for all of us

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That "small band" seems to be about a third of the American population. It's scary.

Well, a lot of them probably disagree with some of what he says (there are a lot of conservatives who wish the president would stop tweeting), but they don't dare say it in public, because it's disloyal. And, well, just look at some of the piling on that goes on here, by either "side," when someone makes some statements. And this isn't nearly as dog-eat-dog a world as plenty of others, either online or IRL.

There are people who think he's a unicorn, and even his farts are rainbows, but plenty just think he was better than the other choice at the time, (we might disagree on that), and that the country is doing OK. Not perfect, but it wasn't perfect before, either.

Every family has an Uncle Lenny who's weird, doesn't comb his hair, or an Aunt Edna who dresses funny. Or either that guy who went to jail for (whatever). And if you don't know who that is in your family, they might be looking back at you in the mirror, skydiver-person!

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

(there are a lot of conservatives who wish the president would stop tweeting)

< Raises hand

There are people who think he's a unicorn, and even his farts are rainbows

< Puts hand down

plenty just think he was better than the other choice at the time

< Raises Hand

Shit, this woman is making me exercise before my second cup of coffee : )  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Right, and talking about the thousands of suicides that will happen if restrictions continue beyond then (which they almost certainly will) is so joyously hopeful.

A white lie? He's talking about packed churches in a couple of weeks time. Church services cntinuing have already been a problem even in the most well prepared and co-ordinated countries. In the US a lot of Trump's most ardent supporters and also most anti-science communities are hardcore church goers. You don't think there's a good chance that several of them are planning to pack the churches in a couple of weeks because Trump said it was OK and Coronavirus is just an overhyped cold? This is a white lie that could kill people.

I have no doubt that if Pelosi was saying this you'd be going fucking apeshit.

I suppose it would be a self correcting problem, for the most part.

And you are probably right about Pelosi.

5 hours ago, nigel99 said:

There will become a point where governments need to decide when to lift  restrictions and it will be before many medical professionals agree with them. From what I’ve seen Trump is dreaming though! Let’s just hope the experts make the best trade off for all of us

We can do that.  Decide what a human life is worth and the calculation becomes easy.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Turtle still thinks that the US will do much better than Italy. Don't think he is reading anything coming out of New York City.

The  USA is poised on the brink of disaster about as bad as this virus can cause.

Edited by gowlerk

21 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Please explain how that pertains to Death Panels in Italy.

You said that we should tell Italy that death panels = bad.  They of course do not have them.  But whatever you imagine them to be - we now have an even bigger problem, and the same decisions will get made here, on a larger scale.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I suppose it would be a self correcting problem, for the most part.

Unfortunately the people who go to church don't stay in church. They go other places after that, and take whatever they have with them.

And you are probably right about Pelosi.

Ok, that's a great start. Now in light of that, do you want to reconsider any of your comments on the matter?

48 minutes ago, billvon said:

You said that we should tell Italy that death panels = bad.  They of course do not have them.  But whatever you imagine them to be - we now have an even bigger problem, and the same decisions will get made here, on a larger scale.

Someone made this decision . . .

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11232070/doctors-italy-ventilators-shortage-coronavirus/

If there is a shortage of ventilators, how would you decide? Quickly? And in a way that doesn't clearly favor particular social or ethnic groups, or money? Every hospital in America probably has a set of "we really hope we never get there" plans, kind of like skydivers imagine what they'll do if they're in a plane that's going down, or they get a two-out.

Wendy P.

3 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

If there is a shortage of ventilators, how would you decide? Quickly? And in a way that doesn't clearly favor particular social or ethnic groups, or money? Every hospital in America probably has a set of "we really hope we never get there" plans, kind of like skydivers imagine what they'll do if they're in a plane that's going down, or they get a two-out.

Wendy P.

This is what I was responding to:

image.png.3f6f45d489453a51fc4b9c000a017e9e.png

My response was to "Tell that to Italy" - They are on social medicine.

This was one of the larger arguments against government run medicine. 

I took John's response to mock that argument. 

The irony is that is now the exact situation we will have.  It would be orders of magnitude worse if the government was running it.

Can You Just imagine ? ? ? - Say this out loud - I am SO HAPPY that the Trump Administration is in charge of our healthcare!!

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

There will be American doctors for us to make these kind of decisions sometime within the next four weeks.There will be American doctors for us to make these kind of decisions sometime within the next four weeks.

Which would you rather have making life or death decisions for you and your loved ones?

Doctors, even ones you do not know, but a chance that it will be your PCP? . . . .or someone from the Trump administration?

Like I told Wendy . . . Can You Just imagine ? ? ? - Say this out loud - I am SO HAPPY that the Trump Administration is in charge of our healthcare!!