1 1
JoeWeber

Irony score-unlimited

9 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Are they sure of that? Last I read, they weren't sure about that yet. They're hoping, but not sure. That'd be great. But depending on how it mutates.

Wendy P.

It's not certain, but likely.

Some of the reports of re-infection are likely incorrect.

OTOH, it seems like it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to recover. And I've read that even after all the symptoms are over, the person can still carry the virus and infect others.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-22/doubt-over-contracting-coronavirus-covid-19-twice/12075878

23 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Are they sure of that? Last I read, they weren't sure about that yet. They're hoping, but not sure. That'd be great. But depending on how it mutates.

Wendy P.

Active Immunity

Active immunity is stimulation of the immune system to produce antigen-specific humoral (antibody) and cellular immunity. Unlike passive immunity, which is temporary, active immunity usually lasts for many years, often for a lifetime.

One way to acquire active immunity is to survive infection with the disease-causing form of the organism. While exceptions (like malaria) exist, in general, once persons recover from infectious diseases, they will have lifelong immunity to that disease. The persistence of protection for many years after the infection is known as immunologic memory. Following exposure of the immune system to an antigen, certain cells (memory B cells) continue to circulate in the blood (and also reside in the bone marrow) for many years. Upon reexposure to the antigen, these memory cells begin to replicate and produce antibody very rapidly to reestablish protection.

Another way to produce active immunity is by vaccination. Vaccines interact with the immune system and often produce an immune response similar to that produced by the natural infection, but they do not subject the recipient to the disease and its potential complications. Many vaccines also produce immunologic memory similar to that acquired by having the natural disease.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/prinvac.pdf

(edited)
3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Once you've had it and gotten over it, you have the antibodies in your system.

You can't get it again.

People who've had it and recovered can go out and be in contact with infected people without worry.

That’s not been shown yet. 

We don’t know if any vaccine will be like a measles one, that you get once and you’re good, or a flu one that you need a different variant of every year.

Edited by yoink

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

How tolerant of you to be glad of someones suffering.

I look up to to that - It revitalizes my opinion of the left. 

Thanks.

Firstly, if you want to tar 65 million people because of one thing I said, go for it. I don't care. It just shows how intellectually dishonest and lazy you are. The guy is rich, white and privileged (and a prick). The liklihood of him 'suffering' because of becoming infected is pretty low. Don't make me laugh with your bullshit crocodile tears for him. 

Secondly, I've stated on this form a few times that I'm not a typical 'left' voter, but rather that I'm very much a centrist, as you claim to be. So if you're going to associate my statement with any group, it should probably be your own...

How could you? What a MEAN thing to believe! Don't you understand the prick's SUFFERING??? 

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Active Immunity

Active immunity is stimulation of the immune system to produce antigen-specific humoral (antibody) and cellular immunity. Unlike passive immunity, which is temporary, active immunity usually lasts for many years, often for a lifetime.

Immunological memory is the memory of antigens carried in memory B and memory T cells in your body.  If you see that exact antigen again then the body responds immediately with both general and specific responses - which, 90% of the time, means you don't get the same disease, presenting the same antigen, twice.

However if the disease mutates and presents a different antigen then your body can't recognize it any more.  This is why you need a new flu shot every year.  And COVID-19 already has two identified varieties.  There are probably more, and we don't know if being immune to one makes you immune to others.

That being said, it is _likely_ that once you have it, you have protection against it in your area - because different strains tend to cluster geographically.

17 minutes ago, yoink said:

Firstly, if you want to tar 65 million people because of one thing I said, go for it. I don't care. It just shows how intellectually dishonest and lazy you are. The guy is rich, white and privileged (and a prick). The liklihood of him 'suffering' because of becoming infected is pretty low. Don't make me laugh with your bullshit crocodile tears for him. 

Secondly, I've stated on this form a few times that I'm not a typical 'left' voter, but rather that I'm very much a centrist, as you claim to be. So if you're going to associate my statement with any group, it should probably be your own...

How could you? What a MEAN thing to believe! Don't you understand the prick's SUFFERING??? 

Being glad that someone has the Covid virus is deplorable, and it sickens me.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

That’s not been shown yet. 

We don’t know if any vaccine will be like a measles one, that you get once and you’re good, or a flu one that you need a different variant of every year.

Immune systems are funny things.  I've never had influenza despite living through decades of seasonal flu and 4 major epidemics.  OTOH I had chicken pox twice.

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

What do you think about denying medical help to Iran?

I don't think it is the right thing to do, as a whole. 

I hope you can understand that it isn't as simple as that though.

Why are you trying to make it a wholly black and white issue?

20 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't think it is the right thing to do, as a whole. 

I hope you can understand that it isn't as simple as that though.

Why are you trying to make it a wholly black and white issue?

Says the guy  trying to label an entire voting demographic because of a single post from a single person.

Pot. Meet kettle.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Once you've had it and gotten over it, you have the antibodies in your system.

You can't get it again.

People who've had it and recovered can go out and be in contact with infected people without worry.

all under the assumption, that you carried it and recovered. then you have antibodies.
If you were clean and stayed in your house for two weeks and went out afterwards, you'd be still game for the virus. that was my point. and it's the sole reason we are experiencing pretty strict rules for "social distancing" hereabout.

3 hours ago, feuergnom said:

all under the assumption, that you carried it and recovered. then you have antibodies.
If you were clean and stayed in your house for two weeks and went out afterwards, you'd be still game for the virus. that was my point. and it's the sole reason we are experiencing pretty strict rules for "social distancing" hereabout.

Very true. 

The post by Bill that you quoted (didn't carry over in my quote - still not entirely used to the new system) mentioned being sick and getting healthy. 

4 hours ago, GARYC24 said:

I meant why dont you ask the person you was wondering about. The who care part meant to be who cares what you were wondering...

Because he is an evil republican and deserves, at least the increased possibility, to die, preferably by the corona virus, according to some.  And he deserves this because of his beliefs, and political stances.

I wonder who else deserves to die because of their political stances.

Here is what that looks like from the outside looking at the left::

Death Penalty be damned for someone that murders a family.  

But DISAGREE with me and you should die!!!!

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Because he is an evil republican and deserves, at least the increased possibility, to die, preferably by the corona virus, according to some.  And he deserves this because of his beliefs, and political stances.

Like the Iranians!  They are seeing a catastrophe with thousands dying - or, as you put it, "problem solved."