1 1
JoeWeber

Our race baiting President

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

To say anything other might have induced a panic. 

Are you for real?

So now that everyone knows there are significantly more than zero cases there must be panic everywhere, yes? The only thing that could have saved society from the complete 'The Purge' style chaotic breakdown we are all experiencing is if Trump had continued to lie his ass off? Yeah. Sure.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Nice attempt at distraction.

The leaders of the country of origin tried to hide it.

Start with that.

Nice attempt at ignoring the issue. It doesn't matter where it started. Any country that has infections and tries to downplay it is equally responsible for any further spread which results. Which is Trump. Why do you not think Trump has any accountabilityfor that, if there is accountability to be had elsewhere?

Heck, has the current administration really eroded your faith so much that you demand better from the Chinese government than from the US? 

42 minutes ago, jakee said:

Are you for real?

So now that everyone knows there are significantly more than zero cases there must be panic everywhere, yes? The only thing that could have saved society from the complete 'The Purge' style chaotic breakdown we are all experiencing is if Trump had continued to lie his ass off? Yeah. Sure.

I am for real.  As skydivers we have a different view on the possibility of death (at least I think we do.  If you are a current jumper and you don't you should).  What would you have him say?  "This is really serious.  People are going to die".  Hell, I didn't believe it was this serious until you assholes in here convinced me (I keed).

It was serious enough to affect the daily lives of a LOT of Chinese before Trump spoke the first time. It was impacting the daily lives of S. Koreans, and causing the evacuation of all tourists from Italy by the beginning of March. If it can affect them, American Exceptionalism just isn't going to matter. That only matters to Americans, not to germs.

Wendy P.

34 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I am for real.  As skydivers we have a different view on the possibility of death (at least I think we do.  If you are a current jumper and you don't you should).  What would you have him say?  "This is really serious.  People are going to die". 

If it's true, yes. Once again, because I don't think you're quite understanding the point for some reason - everyone knows now that there are not zero cases in the USA despite the fact they were assured there would be. But is there mass panic that is impossible to deal with? Unless I've seriousy missed something in the news, no there is not. So how, how on earth is not inciting mass panic a valid reason for the President to have lied through his teeth that there would be zero spread of the virus in the USA. How in your mind does that make sense?

Hell, I didn't believe it was this serious until you assholes in here convinced me (I keed).

Exactly the point. You didn't think it was serious because you didn't believe the media, probably at least in part because the President was contradicting the media by saying it would not be serious. That is precisely the argument I'm putting forward. Thanks for supporting it!

By the same reasoning Obama knew that if he didn't say "If you like..." the ACA would have had zero chance of passing.

I wouldn't call it mass panic however the lines at the grocers were extremely long, some shelves were empty, and I wasn't going to stand in that kind of line for a bottle of taco sauce and some seasoning.

For the record I thought it would be much the same as H1N1.  Up until a couple of days ago I hadn't paid any attention to what is being said in the MSM.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I wouldn't call it mass panic however the lines at the grocers were extremely long, some shelves were empty, and I wasn't going to stand in that kind of line for a bottle of taco sauce and some seasoning.

So then what's the justification for the President telling the outrageous lie that the US would go straight from 16 (I think?) cases to zero very very quickly? You'd have had to wait for taco sauce last week instead of this week?

Is government integrity in a time of crisis worth that little to you?

For the record I thought it would be much the same as H1N1.  Up until a couple of days ago I hadn't paid any attention to what is being said in the MSM.

Brilliant. You repeatedly blamed the mass media for whipping up a frenzy about what you repeatedly insisted was a nothing event even though you hadn't paid any attention to what they were actually saying?  That's great. Really great. Well done you.

Edited by jakee

13 minutes ago, airdvr said:

By the same reasoning Obama knew that if he didn't say "If you like..." the ACA would have had zero chance of passing.

airdvr, you are an intellectual caricature. Obama is history, Hillary, too. Try, just one day try, to validate what you believe without bringing up Obama.

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

airdvr, you are an intellectual caricature. Obama is history, Hillary, too. Try, just one day try, to validate what you believe without bringing up Obama.

With regards to the ACA, he can't.

Because the republicans created all of the changes that made it such a bad plan, but yet we have to blame Obama for the result.

If republicans thought for a second that all Americans deserved health care, they would have had a plan, some ideas, even a few suggestions.

5 minutes ago, normiss said:

Because the republicans created all of the changes that made it such a bad plan, but yet we have to blame Obama for the result.

If republicans thought for a second that all Americans deserved health care, they would have had a plan, some ideas, even a few suggestions.

Well, to be fair, there was a Republican POTUS with a healthcare plan, but it got sidelined due to that misunderstanding at the Watergate.

29 minutes ago, normiss said:

No no.  ACA sucked from the beginning.

(edited)
7 hours ago, ryoder said:

Well, to be fair, there was a Republican POTUS with a healthcare plan, but it got sidelined due to that misunderstanding at the Watergate.

That, and at the time the Democrats didn't think it went far enough. Ted Kennedy said sometime in the 2000's that his greatest professional regret was probably being against that plan.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

8 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

That, and at the time the Democrats didn't think it went far enough. Bobby Kennedy said sometime in the 2000's that his greatest professional regret was probably being against that plan.

Wendy P.

I get your gaff.  I thought maybe Bobby was speaking solely to you. :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, airdvr said:

Trump did attempt to cut the CDC’s funding, but Congress prevented it from happening.

While officials in charge of the U.S. response to pandemics did leave in 2018, it’s unclear if they were “fired.”

The U.S. was not on a list of countries receiving COVID-19 tests from the WHO. But the U.S. doesn’t usually rely on the agency for diagnostic tests, and the testing delay was due mainly to an error with the CDC’s protocol.

While Trump has called the Democratic response to the coronavirus a “hoax,” he has not used the term to describe the virus itself.

Celebrities are sharing a misleading post about Trump’s response to coronavirus

damn, son, sounds like you PAID THEM to believe that lie.  i am amazed at how bad you must feel with yourself to grasp at this straw.  i'm gonna go ahead an stop right now so as not to make it worse for you.  i sincerely hope you get better.

15 hours ago, airdvr said:

Up until a couple of days ago I hadn't paid any attention to what is being said in the MSM.

Except you kept talking about what they said.  

Your narrative changes pretty rapidly - and strangely enough, it always changes in such a way that it reinforces your argument.  Fortunate, that!

16 hours ago, airdvr said:

So you see trying to pass an important bill as the same as handling a crisis that will likely kill millions.
And, as was noted above, at the time he said it it was probably true. There were enough changes in it by the time it finally passed that much of what was said about it at the beginning (by both sides) turned out to not be true (how many 'death panels' have been formed?).

If the Idiot in Chief had said something to the effect of "it's serious, and we'll have to put measures in place to minimize the spread, but if we do that we can weather the situation" it would have put us ahead of the game. If he had asked the WHO for test kits immediately, if he hadn't had suspected infectees brought back on a plane with healthy people (and had them examined by health care workers who weren't properly briefed or given decent protective gear), if he hadn't said shit like "it will go away like a miracle", then maybe we could have put the brakes on it faster. Again, look at South Korea. Compare and contrast them with Iran, Spain & Italy. 
Those sorts of statements would not likely have caused much panic (some folks will panic at anything). 

But he didn't. He made placating, soothing, FALSE statements that were intended to keep the stock market from falling. They didn't work, because the truth came out, like it usually does. Reality has a way of doing that.

Why did you think it was going to be the same as H1N1? If you weren't following the news, how could you draw any conclusion? 
If you had been following the story, you should have seen the numbers coming out of China and seen that this was far more serious than the 'normal' flu. 
Where were you getting your info from that made you come to that conclusion? 

23 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

If the Idiot in Chief had said something to the effect of "it's serious, and we'll have to put measures in place to minimize the spread, but if we do that we can weather the situation" it would have put us ahead of the game. If he had asked the WHO for test kits immediately, if he hadn't had suspected infectees brought back on a plane with healthy people (and had them examined by health care workers who weren't properly briefed or given decent protective gear), if he hadn't said shit like "it will go away like a miracle", then maybe we could have put the brakes on it faster. Again, look at South Korea. Compare and contrast them with Iran, Spain & Italy. 
Those sorts of statements would not likely have caused much panic (some folks will panic at anything). 

But he didn't. He made placating, soothing, FALSE statements that were intended to keep the stock market from falling. They didn't work, because the truth came out, like it usually does. Reality has a way of doing that.

“We have it under control.”
“This is their new hoax.”
“The country’s in great shape. The market’s in great shape.”
“I don’t take responsibility at all.”
“I’d rate it a 10. I think we’ve done a great job.”

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

But he didn't. He made placating, soothing, FALSE statements that were intended to keep the stock market from falling. They didn't work, because the truth came out, like it usually does.

It did work well enough to let his some of his political cronies unload their stock before the market crashed.  Mission Accomplished.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

“We have it under control.”
“This is their new hoax.”
“The country’s in great shape. The market’s in great shape.”
“I don’t take responsibility at all.”
“I’d rate it a 10. I think we’ve done a great job.”

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

It did work well enough to let his some of his political cronies unload their stock before the market crashed.  Mission Accomplished.

As Ron put it, " In profit motivation the object is to get an edge."