0
PlaneFun

Are People Jumping Right Now?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 20kN said:

yes there are still some DZs jumping to date. Many businesses, DZs included, will never close unless the government forces them to close.

You keep saying that. But you have yet to name one. Even if a DZ was to open, it is unlikely many people would go there to jump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You keep saying that. But you have yet to name one. Even if a DZ was to open, it is unlikely many people would go there to jump.

Because I'm not in the game of calling anyone out. Just look on Facebook and you can find out for yourself. Yes people are still going. You can believe me or not, but it's happening which I know as a 100% absolute firm fact. You seem to be under the incorrect understanding that everyone takes the virus seriously. I assure you there is a rather large group of people who are of the opinion that the virus is nothing worse than the flu and it's not a threat at all. I've heard several skydivers directly make that claim in support of their complaint that their local DZ is closed.

Edited by 20kN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
10 hours ago, 20kN said:

Because I'm not in the game of calling anyone out. Just look on Facebook and you can find out for yourself. Yes people are still going. You can believe me or not, but it's happening which I know as a 100% absolute firm fact. You seem to be under the incorrect understanding that everyone takes the virus seriously. I assure you there is a rather large group of people who are of the opinion that the virus is nothing worse than the flu and it's not a threat at all. I've heard several skydivers directly make that claim in support of their complaint that their local DZ is closed.

the worst part is they're right, at least for most of us.  most of us will be just fine.  that does not mean we should stop listening to the professionals and stop our social distancing.  it seems that the political divide that has divided our country so thoroughly has inadvertently found the human divide as well, since most of the conservative and/or republican leaning folks are concerned about themselves (the me, me, me that wants the economy in good shape and says that the situation is not serious enough to warrant the actions taken) and the liberals (or progressives, almost interchangeable at this point) care more about others (stay inside, listen to experts not politicians, there really is a huge risk for some of us).  i don't know if you can classify it like that or if it is even correct, but it certainly seems that every time i hear about the hoax or the inconvenience, it is a republican and that every time i hear someone saying there is a problem, it is a democrat leaning person or a healthcare worker.

Edited by sfzombie13
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly suggest finding the positivity in our current situation.  Tell us what you did today? Plans for when this wave recedes...?   I myself am working today, however, yesterday the wife and I made our first "split" from our bee hive. Three weeks and fingers crossed that the girls and boys get it right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 3:03 AM, dmp4842 said:

Governor Brad Little issued a statewide order asking all residents to “stay at home.” in Idaho starting today for the next 21 days.  Sky Down Skydiving hopefully will resume jumping April 17th. 

from European experience, you just start to "feel the heat" after 3 weeks... Don't hold your breath on that deadline...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
16 hours ago, piisfish said:

from European experience, you just start to "feel the heat" after 3 weeks... Don't hold your breath on that deadline...

I find it interesting that all these businesses claim they are going to reopen in a few weeks. This issue is going to get worse and worse until either a vaccine is discovered or everyone has been infected. It starts with a few people getting infected per day. Then it’s 100 a day. Then 1,000, 10k and eventually we are at millions a day getting infected. If DZs are not comfortable operating when we have 20k infected I’m not sure how they could reason with operating when there are 10 million + infected.  This is not a two week thing that will clear up with a bit of social distancing. This is an issue that will stretch well into 2021 most likely. 

Edited by 20kN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 20kN said:

I find it interesting that all these businesses claim they are going to reopen in a few weeks. This issue is going to get worse and worse until either a vaccine is discovered or everyone has been infected. It starts with a few people getting infected per day. Then it’s 100 a day. Then 1,000, 10k and eventually we are at millions a day getting infected. If DZs are not comfortable operating when we have 20k infected I’m not sure how they could reason with operating when there are 10 million + infected.  This is not a two week thing that will clear up with a bit of social distancing. This is an issue that will stretch well into 2021 most likely. 

Exactly. The longer it takes the better it will be. I keep trying to explain that to people. Some just don't want to hear it and shut it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Exactly. The longer it takes the better it will be. I keep trying to explain that to people. Some just don't want to hear it and shut it out.

Yep, me too. The issue is some people keep giving a date or time frame as to when they want to reopen for business. 'We just got to get through these next few hard weeks and then we'll be good". No, not really. Quarantine only works as long as you keep doing it. If we go back to business as usual, the infection rate will spike the same as it would if we had not done anything in the first place, except we just delayed it by a few weeks. As much as it sucks to say it, this is not a temporary situation. What we are experiencing is the new normal, at least for the next year or so. Yes it will mean businesses are going to go under and jobs will be lost. However, the alternative is substantially worse.

Edited by 20kN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 20kN said:

Yep, me too. The issue is some people keep giving a date or time frame as to when they want to reopen for business. 'We just got to get through these next few hard weeks and then we'll be good". No, not really. Quarantine only works as long as you keep doing it. If we go back to business as usual, the infection rate will spike the same as it would if we had not done anything in the first place, except we just delayed it by a few weeks. As much as it sucks to say it, this is not a temporary situation. What we are experiencing is the new normal, at least for the next year or so. Yes it will mean businesses are going to go under and jobs will be lost. However, the alternative is substantially worse.

almost, at least how i understand it.  the spike is getting ready to flatten, then we can ease up and allow it to continue without overwhelming the healthcare system.  that is what we are avoiding by social distancing.  we can never stop the spread completely, just slow it so we can handle it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Exactly. The longer it takes the better it will be. I keep trying to explain that to people. Some just don't want to hear it and shut it out.

Just wait until 20 cases are traced to an Otter load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

almost, at least how i understand it.  the spike is getting ready to flatten, then we can ease up and allow it to continue without overwhelming the healthcare system.  that is what we are avoiding by social distancing.  we can never stop the spread completely, just slow it so we can handle it.

Flatten where?  In the US?  You are absolutely dreaming if you think thats going to happen within the next month.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Flatten where?  In the US?  You are absolutely dreaming if you think thats going to happen within the next month.

look at the graphs with the latest information.  the curve is starting to flatten.  i didn't make it up, although i disagree with most of the ratios since there is no way to know how many are infected in the us, and most likely anywhere but i don't know that for sure.  if you don't know how many have it, there is no way to do anything other than estimate the mortality rate.  one town in korea tested everyone, then isolated, and their numbers were something like 0.3% mortality and 29% that had to be isolated (or something to that effect, it's been a while since i saw it). 

we made the graph look like the line on the left that was huge, not the flatter one on the right that was supposed to help make things better.  there is also going to be another surge, if you believe the experts, in either aug or sep, depending on whether we end our isolations in march or april.  ii may have used flatten when i meant peak, but either way, it is going down soon, then back up.  we'll all mostly be fine anyway, although from what i am reading, there is no way to accurately predict that.  of course, some of the otherwise healthy folks that are getting really sick may have unknown underlying conditions. 

i am not a doctor but can read and interpret data, so take it for what it's worth, and it all may be outdated by now anyway and could have been false to begin with.  hard to say with agent orange in charge.

cattening.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:59 PM, timski said:

I would strongly suggest finding the positivity in our current situation.  Tell us what you did today? Plans for when this wave recedes...?   I myself am working today, however, yesterday the wife and I made our first "split" from our bee hive. Three weeks and fingers crossed that the girls and boys get it right! 

A positive from my world. Hubby took the past four days and today off from his "essential" job.  So far we have installed irrigation for the garden and greenhouse, built a gate for the garden, tilled about 1/3 of the garden area, chopped down and processed a tree and some holly bushes, done a dump run, fixed a couple electrical issues, fixed the front gate and organized the garage pantry.  Today we are doing as little as possible.

As soon as I can talk him into taking a month or two off work so he doesn't bring anything home once this virus truly spikes next month as predicted...  I can't even imagine all the stuff we can get done! 

Good luck with the hives!  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

 

Wash your hands and dont let strangers cough in your throat. 

You're right. I am sure that's all it takes to avoid getting sick. It doesent matter if the guy sitting on your lap for 20 min per load is sick as long as you washed your hands. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, evh said:

OK this is a bit unexpected to me... I really hope this doesn't turn out to be a big misstake.

Capture.JPG

Several DZs are opening this weekend. Even more plan to open within two weeks. For sure people will get infected. It will happen. It's just a question of how long and who gets it first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, 20kN said:

Several DZs are opening this weekend. Even more plan to open within two weeks. For sure people will get infected. It will happen. It's just a question of how long and who gets it first.

Unless you are running a POPS or SOS event an argument could be made that most people at the DZ either wouldn't know they became infected there, or would be minimally impacted. The bigger question to me is how many of them are going to visit Grandma at the nursing home. :dead:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The bigger question to me is how many of them are going to visit Grandma at the nursing home."

You would think that by now, everybody understands that THAT's exactly the point.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0