1 1
billvon

Six words that define a presidency

Today at a press conference Trump was asked whether he had any responsibility for delays in getting Coronavirus test kits out there, since he had been downplaying the severity of COVID-19 all week, and had wanted fewer tests run to improve his re-election chances.  His answer sums up his presidency in six words:

"I don't take responsibility at all."

The new Presidential motto.

4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I suppose that as long as our priority is to use this crisis for more political divisiveness, then we're still in pretty good shape.

When you see people starting to band together in unity, then you know we're fucked. :(

How is slamming Trump divisive? Everyone agrees he is incompetent. Even Rs know he is incompetent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's fine.  As long as the focus is on Trump, then we're still in pretty good shape.

I guess you’re right. Anything that brings unity is likely bad news. Unless it is something like the miracle on ice or the dream team does for your country.

6 hours ago, Coreece said:

That's fine.  As long as the focus is on Trump, then we're still in pretty good shape.

That's where Trump wants it. Otherwise this wouldn't all be a plot to discredit him, or all the other stuff. He just wishes he could control the tone of the focus, but it doesn't work that way.

Wendy P.

7 hours ago, Coreece said:

So is your position that the President is nothing more than a figure head? He should not provide leadership in a time of crisis?

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

I suppose that as long as our priority is to use this crisis for more political divisiveness, then we're still in pretty good shape.

You mean, like Trump is doing instead of providing genuine leadership? 

I’ve honestly never understood this idea that we should stop holding political leaders to account at times when their actions can have the most serious effects. The epitome was when Bush and Blair took us into Iraq, and anyone opposing them was told that in the best interests of the country they should shut up and start supporting the leadership in the name of national unity. Turns out that was all bollocks and the best thing everyone could have done was shout as loudly as possible that they were lying warmongers with no justification and no real plan. Even the orange idiot realises that, which is why one of his lies is to claim he did oppose them at that time. 

Same applies here, there is no benefit to blindly supporting the leadership when the leaders aren’t doing a good job.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

President is nothing more than a figure head? He should not provide leadership in a time of crisis?

I think we can all agree that Trump has fumbled the ball in the area of communications from the first day he lay his fingers on twitter; to not using his Communications Director, Press Secretary or Speech Writer. If we look at his extemporaneous speech methodology compared with that or Trudeau's or many other world leaders; it's easy to see the importance of the communications roles.   

• Like 1

America can be thankful that the states governors and corporate CEO's have begun to lead. Canada has announced that all visitors should self quarantine for 14 days.

" Drive-through coronavirus testing sites have popped up in several countries and US cities as a way to safely test possible COVID-19 patients without exposing healthcare workers to the disease. ... The new site will allow medical workers to safely test patients, who can drive through one of six lanes and stay in their cars while getting tested using a nasal swab. Priority will be given to local residents and those with the highest risk, such as seniors citizens and people with compromised immune systems.  ... BioReference Laboratories has partnered with the state to conduct testing at the site, and hopes to expand testing services elsewhere across the state to as many as 5,000 tests per day. ...

Drive-through testing was first established in the US in Seattle, Washington earlier this week. Denver, Colorado opened a a similar facility, which started testing patients on Wednesday.

Other sites have also since popped up across the US, including in New Hampshire, Connecticut, and California. "

A national effort to establish 000's of sites would allow self quarantine of asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic C-19 people.

While the blame game and coverup of missteps from the WH:

:Key Missteps at the CDC Have Set Back Its Ability to Detect the Potential Spread of Coronavirus   from ProPublica which also disclosed The FDA Is Forcing the CDC to Waste Time Double Testing Some Coronavirus Cases

Trump's focus on coronavirus numbers could backfire, health experts say

" The numbers in the coronavirus outbreak in the United States are increasingly not going his way, but that has not stopped him from portraying them largely as a sign of success. ...

From suggesting more optimistic time lines for a potential vaccine than scientists say is possible, to contradicting public health officials on the potential for cases to increase, to questioning the fatality rate cited by the World Health Organization, Trump has sought to present figures related to the virus that appear more favorable than reality.

While praising his team’s work to combat the virus, the president, who is seeking re-election in November, has repeatedly cited the relatively low number of infected individuals in the United States as proof of the success of his early ban on foreign nationals flying in from China - where the coronavirus originated - compared with actions taken in other countries with higher numbers of cases."

Come election trump, FOX and the republican re-election team will repeat the C-19 mantra "I don't take responsibility at all., its Obama's fault, its the CDC's fault".

23 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I think we can all agree that Trump has fumbled the ball in the area of communications from the first day he lay his fingers on twitter; to not using his Communications Director, Press Secretary or Speech Writer. If we look at his extemporaneous speech methodology compared with that or Trudeau's or many other world leaders; it's easy to see the importance of the communications roles.   

I sort of agree with that. But the  "Communications Director, Press Secretary or Speech Writer". Are nothing but the mouthpiece of the President. The president needs to make intelligent informed decisions based upon sound medical advice. Then drive the narrative with decisions, money, directives and legislation.

How about a WH round table with Pelosi, other senior democrats, republicans and experts. Orders, cash and legislation is directed to:

1. Ordering 24 hour production of the best test kits distributed to 000's of drive through testing centers.

2. 24 hour production of hand sanitizer, masks, gloves, ventilators, secondary hospital C-19 facilities, etc.

3. Immediate training of National Guard to assist hospitals and cleaning of public facilities.

etc. Is it a "National Emergency" or not?

Not a "Google website".

he refused to take donations of testing kits while he waited on one of his cronies' companies to manufacture them; then bailed out wall street to the tune of 1.5 trillion while promising cuts to medicare on 1 april.  not too hard to see where this idiot is leading us, the only real question is, who has the balls to start the 25th proceedings to remove this dangerous, incompetent fool?

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

I’ve honestly never understood this idea that we should stop holding political leaders to account at times when their actions can have the most serious effects. . .

. . . there is no benefit to blindly supporting the leadership when the leaders aren’t doing a good job.

You're right, I agree.

But that's not really what I'm talking about.  There certainly is room for reasonably criticism, but I turned on the TV last night (just prior to making my posts above) to get an update and see the latest news on the virus - and CNN was still bitching about how Trump called it a hoax and how only now he's calling it an emergency - I mean it's already been shown how that just wasn't true - and it's like why are they still harping on about that?

And others are still going on about the travel ban when two of the top medical experts in the country already told the House Oversight Committee that the case for the ban was compelling, and that the president should consider extending the ban to other regions as well.

. . .and then I turn on FOX and they're just bitching about how CNN is wrong to criticise Trump and then just start bitching about Obama - I mean its fucking ridiculous, lol.

But as I said, if that type of news is still the status quo, then I guess that means we're still in pretty good shape.

And ya, it's my fault for even turning those stations on.  I mean I don't typically watch them anyway so why start now, right?  But at the same time, these stations are forming public opinion for a significant portion of the population - and it's scary.

Edited by Coreece

24 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But at the same time, these stations are forming public opinion for a significant portion of the population - and it's scary.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A WINNER! Nailed it my dude. Tune into the BBC. ;) 

27 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You're right, I agree.

But that's not really what I'm talking about.  There certainly is room for reasonably criticism, but I turned on the TV last night (just prior to making my posts above) to get an update and see the latest news on the virus - and CNN was still bitching about how Trump called it a hoax and how only now he's calling it an emergency - I mean it's already been shown how that just wasn't true - and it's like why are they still harping on about that?

And others are still going on about the travel ban when two of the top medical experts in the country already told the House Oversight Committee that the case for the ban was compelling, and that the president should consider extending the ban to other regions as well.

. . .and then I turn on FOX and they're just bitching about how CNN is wrong to criticise Trump and then just start bitching about Obama - I mean its fucking ridiculous, lol.

you got me to a little research; thanx for that.  turns out he did call the corona virus outbreak a hoax, just not the virus itself, so there is a technicality to your statement that is true.  and it actually made me a little less confident in his abilities as a leader of anything, and it always does when i read or listen to his incoherent ramblings.  it is a damned goo d thing that individual states and locations are taking it upon themselves to (finally) start doing something, although i do question whether the healthcare system will be overloaded in another week, as i heard predicted last week on one of the "news" stations (they said that based on italy, we would have our system overwhelmed in two weeks, that was last wednesday, so next wednesday is 14 days give or take).  there is a lot more that could have, and should have, been done but like everything else that happens, not nearly as dire as predicted. 

9 hours ago, Coreece said:

The focus is on dealing with the emergency.  And we can't do that with someone sabotaging many of the efforts in that direction because he is worried about his re-election.

Want to deal better with Coronavirus?  Appoint Mike Ryan, a doctor currently working with the WHO and on the United Nations crisis management team on the Coronavirus problem, to lead the response here.   Give him immunity from Trump's whims, and prohibit Trump from tweeting or speaking about the pandemic for six months.  The stock market will calm once someone competent is leading the shots, and the CDC will not suffer from Trump's whiplash-inducing reversals on the pandemic response.

Don't like Mike?  Then appoint Nancy Messonnier, another doctor who is already with the CDC.  Again, give her complete authority - and insulate her from Trump's desire to fire/muzzle/redirect her.

Or do nothing and expect a different result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Or listen to NPR, which partners with the BBC quite a lot.

At ~ 2200, the local NPR station starts rebroadcasting BBC World Service radio.  Then at ~0400 it resumes NPR programming. Or I can just go here for the BBC WSR any time of the day:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_world_service

26 minutes ago, billvon said:

The stock market will calm once someone competent is leading the shots, and the CDC will not suffer from Trump's whiplash-inducing reversals on the pandemic response.

The stock market would surge if the Orange Halfwit would just resign.