1 1
gowlerk

The Trump recession

19 hours ago, kallend said:

Here's another number for today:

Trump Death Clock

Estimated U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction

Not nearly as much blood on his hands as blue state dems.  Cuomo should go to jail for forcing nursing homes to take in COVID cases. 

Just now, brenthutch said:

Not nearly as much blood on his hands as blue state dems.  Cuomo should go to jail for forcing nursing homes to take in COVID cases. 

There were over 77k nursing home residents that died in New York & New Jersey? 

While it was a stupid thing to do, they admitted the mistake and stopped the policy.

OTOH, Trump still insists that the pandemic is 'largely done' and blames the Chinese.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:41 AM, brenthutch said:

Keep telling yourself that and perhaps you'll even start to believe it.

Is Donald Trump anti-science? The data says yes. Interesting chart ranks Donald trump's intelligence regarding science just below retarded.

Trump’s Response to Virus Reflects a Long Disregard for Science. “Donald Trump is the most anti-science and anti-environment president we’ve ever had,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at Rice University." Bleach injections may have hindered trump's cognition.

Pandemic brings Trump's war on science to the boil. American deaths are less important than political points.

50 minutes ago, billvon said:

77,000>6000.  That math is possible even for Trump supporters to understand.

Canada 107,394 cases, 8,739 deaths. USA 2,879,230 and 129,904 deaths. Canada has roughly 10% of the US population, but 1 % of the Covid-19. The main difference is from leadership.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

check your arithmetic.  

We're going to need floating tables with the speed of the surge. It's accelerating. Rapidly.

America is too ignorant to deal with it properly. Maybe when it hits their families they'll start to see.

The hoaxes the planet has suffered since Trump took office are unreal.

7 minutes ago, normiss said:

America is too ignorant to deal with it properly. Maybe when it hits their families they'll start to see.

Unfortunately I think you're right.  I've already lost an old skydiving friend to COVID-19.  I thought it was real pretty early on, but for many people it won't be real until they lose a friend or loved one.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:04 PM, kallend said:

Here's another number for today:

Trump Death Clock

Estimated U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction

Wouldn't it be nice if the partisan, bias, and misinformation would include a variable for the general public's unwillingness to adhere to rules that are infringing on their perceived rights?

(edited)
14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Canada 107,394 cases, 8,739 deaths. USA 2,879,230 and 129,904 deaths. Canada has roughly 10% of the US population, but 1 % of the Covid-19. The main difference is from leadership.

So you don't think population density has as much to do with it?

Edited by turtlespeed

3 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the partisan, bias, and misinformation would include a variable for the general public's unwillingness to adhere to rules that are infringing on their perceived rights?

You hope the "partisan and bias and misinformation" includes a variable?

Perhaps try again.  I get the feeling you want to get a slam in there but it's unclear what, exactly, you are mocking.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

You hope the "partisan and bias and misinformation" includes a variable?

Perhaps try again.  I get the feeling you want to get a slam in there but it's unclear what, exactly, you are mocking.

I'm not mocking anything.  

The numbers are biased, and partisan, which makes them misinformation.

10 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Numbers are never biased. The story people are trying to tell with them might be.

In case of the death clock, it is listed what their number is based on. That isn't mis-information.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, turtlespeed said:

What is the percentage of what you claim are incarcerations due to Trumps direct actions vs Biden's direct actions in sponsoring the Crime bill?

The fact that that Trump hasn't been a politician involved in the highest levels of legislation for the last 30 years doesn't give him some sort of pass.  This Bill was a product of bipartisan support to be tougher on crime and by all indications Trump held the same views and still does, he has never campaigned to be easier on criminals or more forgiving.  In fact he specifically told cops they should rough up subjects when they're apprehended and put into a car which is exactly what led to George Floyd's death.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:41 PM, brenthutch said:

Trump's ability to deal with this crisis has been nothing but an abject failure.  His administration disassembled the group who could've best discovered and worked with the Chinese early in the process, a relationship that has worked on every single similar threat since the early 2000's. Instead he's been like a driver who gets rid of the brakes because he's never crashed a car before, hopes he doesn't hit anything, hopes the impact won't be bad once he knows we will crash and then once he's crashed the car he walks away leaving the passengers to deal with it.  This country is floundering with no cohesive strategy while the rest of the world shows success after success.

11 minutes ago, DJL said:

In fact he specifically told cops they should rough up subjects when they're apprehended and put into a car which is exactly what led to George Floyd's death.

Are you really saying that those officers were adhering to Trumps specific orders?

First off though - had he been put into a car, this wouldn't even be an issue.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Are you really saying that those officers were adhering to Trumps specific orders?

First off though - had he been put into a car, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I'm saying that it's less than a coincidence that things like this continue to happen after Trump eliminated Obama's programs to provide further training and support to police officers and instead promoted a culture of being rough on US citizens.

Floyd was put into the car by one officer who was having trouble getting him to stay still and then Chauvin pulled him out the other side and got on top of him. He HAD been in the car.  Chauvin made the move to rough him up a bit instead of assisting in completing his restraint within the vehicle.

If Trump had not said those words or cancelled those programs would this still have happened?  Who knows, maybe Chauvin would've been identified as an officer with a past of getting too physical with suspects.  Maybe he would've changed his ways based upon a cultural shift within the police department.  Maybe if there were not other instances similar to this then the camel's back would not have broken.

So, to bring it back around, Trump has made many efforts to undo the progress in correcting those terrible "Tough on Crime" measures from 30 years ago.  If you're going to say that Biden is bad because of that bill then you can't say the Trump is good as he attempts to maintain the worst aspects of it.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the misinformation you spout due to your partisan bias would include consideration of the effect of the publics willingness to follow rules which their leader is telling them are pointless rules that were enacted by their political enemies in order to falsely hype a hoax crisis?

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

So you don't think population density has as much to do with it?

Probably not in the way you think. The US and Canada have approximately the same percentage of people living in cities, but with Canada's population much more skewed into a few major cities. Well over 30% of Canada's population is contained by its 3 biggest metro areas, for the USA it's 13%. Imagine where the US's figures might be today if New York and LA were 3 times as populous as they are. 

As for Canada's mean population density, that doesn't really matter. The empty spaces are so empty that there aren't enough people in them to be meaningfully skewing the numbers even if they're all completely safe from infection.

52 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Nope.  But telling law enforcement to rough up people absolutely contributed to the environment that made them think this was OK. 

"When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just seen them thrown in, rough. I said, 'Please don't be too nice.'  When you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head you know, the way you put their hand over [their head], like, 'Don't hit their head and they've just killed somebody, don't hit their head.' I said, 'You can take the hand away, OK?' "

"You know, part of the problem, and part of the reason it takes so long, is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore, right?"

"If you do [hurt him] I’ll defend you in court, don’t worry about it."

" . . . knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, ok. Just knock the hell — I promise you I will pay for the legal fees, I promise.”

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Nope.  It's a simple calculation - look how the nominally Gaussian curve was truncated due to the restrictions put in place around April, then move that same curve backwards in time.  The difference in the area under the curve is the difference in deaths.  (If you don't like that Trump is to blame for that, you could do it for a democratic governor.  People like you sometimes can't accept information unless it smears the right people.)

Your original post still doesn't make any sense, but hey - if it makes you happy . . .

21 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nope.  But telling law enforcement to rough up people absolutely contributed to the environment that made them think this was OK. 

"When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just seen them thrown in, rough. I said, 'Please don't be too nice.'  When you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head you know, the way you put their hand over [their head], like, 'Don't hit their head and they've just killed somebody, don't hit their head.' I said, 'You can take the hand away, OK?' "

"You know, part of the problem, and part of the reason it takes so long, is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore, right?"

"If you do [hurt him] I’ll defend you in court, don’t worry about it."

" . . . knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, ok. Just knock the hell — I promise you I will pay for the legal fees, I promise.”

"BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY. BRING BACK OUR POLICE!"

"Innocent of what-how many people did they mugg?

"My opinion on the settlement of the Central Park Jogger case is that it's a disgrace"

"They admitted they were guilty, the police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same."

Vile comments about innocent people.

2 hours ago, normiss said:

"BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY. BRING BACK OUR POLICE!"

"Innocent of what-how many people did they mugg?

"My opinion on the settlement of the Central Park Jogger case is that it's a disgrace"

"They admitted they were guilty, the police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same."

Vile comments about innocent people.

Hi Mark,

That is when anyone who was watching began to see the real Trump.

Jerry Baumchen

7 hours ago, DJL said:

I'm saying that it's less than a coincidence that things like this continue to happen after Trump eliminated Obama's programs to provide further training and support to police officers and instead promoted a culture of being rough on US citizens.

Floyd was put into the car by one officer who was having trouble getting him to stay still and then Chauvin pulled him out the other side and got on top of him. He HAD been in the car.  Chauvin made the move to rough him up a bit instead of assisting in completing his restraint within the vehicle.

If Trump had not said those words or cancelled those programs would this still have happened?  Who knows, maybe Chauvin would've been identified as an officer with a past of getting too physical with suspects.  Maybe he would've changed his ways based upon a cultural shift within the police department.  Maybe if there were not other instances similar to this then the camel's back would not have broken.

So, to bring it back around, Trump has made many efforts to undo the progress in correcting those terrible "Tough on Crime" measures from 30 years ago.  If you're going to say that Biden is bad because of that bill then you can't say the Trump is good as he attempts to maintain the worst aspects of it.

I don't say Biden is bad because of it - I'm sure it was the best idea they could come up with at the time.

Did it substantially contribute to the atmosphere we have now?  Absolutely. 

Did Trump's efforts have as much to do with it?  I have no idea.  It doesn't seem likely that it had as large an impact directly.