JoeWeber

This won't help

(DAILY MAIL UK) – ‘Highly pathogenic’ bird flu has broken out in two Chinese provinces near Hubei since the beginning of the month as Beijing struggles to contain the novel coronavirus currently ravaging the country. Nearly 2,000 fowl were killed by the H5N6 strain of avian influenza on a poultry farm in Sichuan Province, Chinese agricultural authority announced yesterday. Just eight days earlier, 4,500 chickens were reported to have died of H5N1 virus in the province of HunanFour outbreaks of H5N6 bird flu were also reported in western China’s Xinjiang in January alone.The latest outbreak in Sichuan took place at a county called Xichong in Nanchong City, which is about 12 hours from Wuhan by car.

H5N1 and H5N6 are thought to be zoonotic viruses. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Highly pathogenic’ bird flu has broken out in two

"The designation of low or highly pathogenic avian influenza refers to the potential for these viruses to kill chickens," the USGS website says. "The designation of "low pathogenic" or "highly pathogenic" does not refer to how infectious the viruses may be to humans, other mammals, or other species of birds."

Per the United States Geological Survey, the bird flu is deemed "high pathogenic" based on its ability to kill birds. 

Edited by BIGUN
spelling

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

"The designation of low or highly pathogenic avian influenza refers to the potential for these viruses to kill chickens," the USGS website says. "The designation of "low pathogenic" or "highly pathogenic" does not refer to how infectious the viruses may be to humans, other mammals, or other species of birds."

Per the United States Geological Survey, the bird flu is deemed "high pathogenic" based on its ability to kill birds. 

Sure, but those are two of four strains believed to be zoonotic. I don't know how much time you've spent in Asia but the markets are amazing places. Basically, if it creeps, crawls, burrows, swims or fly's it goes into the pot. Covid-19 was a zoonotic transfer. One more and panicked fleeing may be the order of the day.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Sure, but those are two of four strains believed to be zoonotic. I don't know how much time you've spent in Asia but the markets are amazing places. Basically, if it creeps, crawls, burrows, swims or fly's it goes into the pot. Covid-19 was a zoonotic transfer. One more and panicked fleeing may be the order of the day.

Wildlife trade has been pretty much banned in China now.

16 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Nope

Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic?     Smithsonian magazine November 2017  Everyone should read this story.

China has made eating wild animals illegal after the coronavirus outbreak. But ending the trade won't be easy

" She said she doubted the ban would be effective in the long run. "The trade might lay low for a few months ... but after a while, probably in a few months, people would very possibly come back again," she said "

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Nope

Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic?     Smithsonian magazine November 2017  Everyone should read this story.

China has made eating wild animals illegal after the coronavirus outbreak. But ending the trade won't be easy

" She said she doubted the ban would be effective in the long run. "The trade might lay low for a few months ... but after a while, probably in a few months, people would very possibly come back again," she said "

A story from 2017 isn't relevant to the fact that China has banned the trade for consumption of wildlife in 2020. In fact they have criminalized the wildlife trade for consumption. The CNN article even says that. That it will take a lot harder for cultural norms to change is a different story.

So yes, the wildlife trade has been banned. The effective result of that is still to be seen.

Edited by SkyDekker

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Right. That's not the way it works there.  We went to Hong Kong in advance of the Beijing Olympics just to see things knowing that Hong Kong would be a gateway city. There was standing in a queue politely Tuesday's, no spitting in the corner Thursday's, that sort of thing. Not a dent. Bottom line: you got nothing you take what you need to live. That's Asia.

When we jumped into the new, under construction, Suvarnabhumi Airport for World Team the government announced that no birds would be a problem. The workers would just eat them. Bada Bing.

(edited)
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Whereas, I don't know how much time you've spent as a National Incident Commander not only in Disaster Response, but Emergency Response - including the killing of tens of thousands of chickens ahead of the H1N1 - What I quoted is exactly right and if you don't believe me; then call the CDC and ask any myriad of PhD's if the quote is correct. The US does not need another panic .

Edited by BIGUN
typing oops

(edited)
39 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

A story from 2017 isn't relevant to the fact that China has banned the trade for consumption of wildlife in 2020. In fact they have criminalized the wildlife trade for consumption. The CNN article even says that. That it will take a lot harder for cultural norms to change is a different story.

So yes, the wildlife trade has been banned. The effective result of that is still to be seen.

Clearly you did not read either story. Try this one from 11 days ago from the South China Morning Post. Dangers lurk for China’s ban on the wild animal trade

If you think the Chinese Peoples Party is going to ban a industry thats worth $74 billion a year. That reclassifies wild animals as domestic as soon as they are put in a cage and allowed to reproduce. You don't know China." In fact they have criminalized the wildlife trade for consumption". Wow, reread the story posted above. When party officials are consuming and personally profiting from those same now "domestic" animals. "Criminal" is out the door.

Pandemics were anticipated from China in the 1990's because of these markets. China won't learn because there are too many domestic political and cultural factors at play. Plus $74 billion other reasons, every year.

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Whereas, I don't know how much time you've spent as a National Incident Commander not only in Disaster Response, but Emergency Response - including the killing of tens of thousands of chickens ahead of the H1N1 - What I quoted is exactly right and if you don't believe me; then call the CDC and ask any myriad of PhD's if the quote is correct. The US does not need another panic .

Well, I've spent no time in those positions. And no, we don't need another panic. But that won't stop perception from doing it's thing. Stay cool, the world won't hear it first on Speakers Corner.

10 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

So that article too says there is a ban in place. 

You keep denying there is a ban. 

Not sure I can boil it down any further. 

i can't help but jump into this one.  it appears that he was saying that he had extensive experience in the area that would show that the ban is not going to last long due to cultural and financial reasons, and even provided a couple of sources supporting his claim.  i don't know either one of you, but see no reason to immediately discount his views, as i haven't been there and know almost nothing of the culture.  i take it you have experience that shows how this is either wrong or irrelevant?  if so, i would love to evaluate it.

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

i can't help but jump into this one.  it appears that he was saying that he had extensive experience in the area that would show that the ban is not going to last long due to cultural and financial reasons, and even provided a couple of sources supporting his claim.  i don't know either one of you, but see no reason to immediately discount his views, as i haven't been there and know almost nothing of the culture.  i take it you have experience that shows how this is either wrong or irrelevant?  if so, i would love to evaluate it.

I guess Keith has experience in those positions which is great stuff. I do not. But I've traveled Asia plenty and that's what forms my opinion. For example, sitting down at the fanciest Dim Sum restaurant in Kowloon and watching people spit their chicken bones and other inedibles on the floor. In that same restaurant the bathroom was at the back of the kitchen where you passed the cooks chopping chickens to bits on the floor. Buffets are reach with your hands affairs where you might just lift your kid up to do the same.

Unless the world has changed in the last few years it's easy to see how things spread quickly there. And like it or not some of these viruses can jumped to humans.

3 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

I think he was trying to say that. However, I said there was a ban. His answer was, and I quote: "Nope."

In my follow up I even agreed that there are likely challenges with enforcing the ban, changing cultural norms etc. His reply to that was that I clearly didn't read the articles.....

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I think he was trying to say that. However, I said there was a ban. His answer was, and I quote: "Nope."

There is a ban. Like any such attempt to change the habits of a society overnight it will not be 100% successful overnight.