1 1
Janboo

How can I send my rig?

Question

Hey guys,

I am in despair. I wanted to travel from Australia to Germany with my rig, but because the aad (MarS m2 multi) contains lithium batteries, I was not allowed to take it on the plane. I then thought I could have a mate send it to me. However, this is not possible either because apparently you cannot send any devices containing lithium batteries to Germany.

I live in Germany and I had no issues taking my rig abroad, but now it seems like there is no legal way to get it back, my most priced posession is stuck at the other end of the world.

Please, does anyone have any idea how I can solve this?

Thanks in advance and blue skies!

9 answers to this question

The situation has been resolved, thanks for all the replies!

In the end, we ended up shipping it via DHL. Turns out that you are in fact allowed to ship lithium batteries to Germany, especially if they are small and contained within a device such as an aad.

Only Post Australia won't do it for whatever reason. 

But yeah, just don't try taking your rig on a Qatar Airways flight to avoid this situation entirely. I have taken my rig with me on a LATAM Airlines flight without an issue.

Are there any airlines you would recomend or advise against when travelling with your rig?

Maybe we can create some kind of index to prevent this kind of situation in the future. What do you think?

Cheers and blue skies!

• Like 1

Have a rigger open the rig, take out the AAD.  Close the rig well enough to ship, ship it.

Sell the AAD, buy another in Germany.  There is no loss in this transaction, since AADs depreciate on a straight line, unlike most other consumer goods.

You lose the cost of opening and closing the rig, and a pro-rated part of the reserve packing cycle.  

Your cell phone and your laptop have lithium ion batteries too.  Who is saying you can't transport lithium batteries?

10 hours ago, mark said:

Your cell phone and your laptop have lithium ion batteries too.  Who is saying you can't transport lithium batteries?

Qatar airways seems to have some kind of special policy when it comes to parachutes. They told me that the batteries would have to be taken out. As far as I understand, they were less concerned about the batteries themselves, but rather that the aad might fire mid-flight, even though I explained to them that the aad is turned off and thus will not fire.

The Australia Post international post guide just states that "Lithium batteries and devices containing them are prohibited from being sent to Germany.", but they do not give any source for that claim.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/international-post-guide/results/germany

On 3/13/2020 at 8:07 PM, Janboo said:

Qatar airways seems to have some kind of special policy when it comes to parachutes. They told me that the batteries would have to be taken out. As far as I understand, they were less concerned about the batteries themselves, but rather that the aad might fire mid-flight, even though I explained to them that the aad is turned off and thus will not fire.

The Australia Post international post guide just states that "Lithium batteries and devices containing them are prohibited from being sent to Germany.", but they do not give any source for that claim.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/international-post-guide/results/germany

Bollocks!  How would you get Cypres back to the factory if that was the case!

People send them via UPS and AUSPOST every week.

Give me a shout via Mee Loft FB page and Ill help you through it 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, mark said:

Have a rigger open the rig, take out the AAD.  Close the rig well enough to ship, ship it.

Sell the AAD, buy another in Germany.  There is no loss in this transaction, since AADs depreciate on a straight line, unlike most other consumer goods.

You lose the cost of opening and closing the rig, and a pro-rated part of the reserve packing cycle.  

I love this, so every time you go to a boogie in another country you can pay a rigger for a repack and have to buy a new AAD, then get in installed, so all you have to do is pay for rigger to remove, pay to ship your rig and then joy of selling your AAD and buying a new one, cant imagine why we don't all do this what a great idea, so simple and hassle free.

I would talk to Airtec GmBh and get their advice.

22 minutes ago, verticalflyer said:

I love this, so every time you go to a boogie in another country you can pay a rigger for a repack and have to buy a new AAD, then get in installed, so all you have to do is pay for rigger to remove, pay to ship your rig and then joy of selling your AAD and buying a new one, cant imagine why we don't all do this what a great idea, so simple and hassle free.

I would talk to Airtec GmBh and get their advice.

The OP asked for advice about his particular situation.  He didn't ask for advice about anybody else's situation.

Just now, mark said:

The OP asked for advice about his particular situation.  He didn't ask for advice about anybody else's situation.

Your hilarious, you actually think buying a new AAD is a credible solution, far better he talk to Airtec a German company and get their advice they work with the airline carriage approvals team and therefore are in a far better position to advise, over the advice to sell your equipment and buy new which is totally impractical.