1 1
nigel99

Praying for you

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Thread drift is fine, but if you don't acknowledge or just ignore a sincere response just because you don't like the direction it's going and demonstrates how you were wrong, then you're just moving the goal posts, changing the subject and being evasive in an attempt at misdirection.

The whole point of religion is misdirection!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

For starters you'll probably want to find out what prompted Paul to address this issue in the first place.  Then you'll want to delve into the historical, cultural and circumstantial context of this specific Church in Corinth, and then compare it with other churches/customs in other regions whether started by Paul or not.

It strikes me as odd that the manual for life the universe and everything written by the creator of all mankind is so difficult for mankind to correctly decipher.

I really hope it's not at all important to follow the instructions it contains, because by the sound of it hardly anyone knows what they actually are, whether they believe or not.

12 minutes ago, jakee said:

It strikes me as odd that the manual for life the universe and everything written by the creator of all mankind is so difficult for mankind to correctly decipher.

I really hope it's not at all important to follow the instructions it contains, because by the sound of it hardly anyone knows what they actually are, whether they believe or not.

Doh!

You pick the parts you like, and ignore the parts you don't like!

11 minutes ago, jakee said:
12 hours ago, Coreece said:

For starters you'll probably want to find out what prompted Paul to address this issue in the first place.  Then you'll want to delve into the historical, cultural and circumstantial context of this specific Church in Corinth, and then compare it with other churches/customs in other regions whether started by Paul or not.

What I've learned so far is sufficient for me on a personal level.

8 minutes ago, ryoder said:

You pick the parts you like, and ignore the parts you don't like!

Right, because whether or not a woman should shave her head bears a tremendous amount of spiritual value on my life.

13 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Right, because whether or not a woman should shave her head bears a tremendous amount of spiritual value on my life.

Doesn't it? Imagine living in a country where women are forced to shave their heads. I would find that to be quite an important thing. I'd have thought that whether or not a religion/deity demands it should be equally important to a believer.

13 minutes ago, jakee said:
28 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Doesn't it? Imagine living in a country where women are forced to shave their heads. I would find that to be quite an important thing. I'd have thought that whether or not a religion/deity demands it should be equally important to a believer.

Given the Law of Grace, I'm initially led to believe that this has nothing to do with salvation and therefore feel no inclination to delve into it at this point.  Tho I will say that given the text,  it appears to have less to do with women and more to do with the relationship between a husband and wife and how it relates to their relationship with Christ and the image it projected throughout society at that time.

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
29 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Law of Grace

What the Holy Hell is the Law of Grace? Is that from your pastor?

Nah, It just popped out.  It's just a play on words.  It's actually not a law at all, but denotes the idea of being under the Law vs Grace.

18 hours ago, nigel99 said:

As I get older and grumpier it really pisses me off when people think that an appropriate response to someone reaching out for help is to ‘pray for them’

The latest incident was someone I know posting on Facebook about some friends of theirs in South Africa who are now homeless and struggling to get food etc (no welfare system as a safety net). Send $5 fine, but posting ‘I’ll be praying for them’ is frankly a cop out to make you feel good about yourself and absolve your guilt. 

When I'm told "I'll pray for you!", I politely decline, When challenged on why I don't want prayers, I tell them I've seen what your god does to humans and I don't want any part of that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jakee said:

The part that strikes me as odd is that it seems that God decided to give each independent group of people a different set of instructions. Along with a different origin story.

Almost as if it didn't come from a "God" at all, that someone just made it all up.

6 hours ago, Coreece said:

Fine, but that's not what we're talking about.  Nigel did this earlier.  You guys start talking about one thing, and then when I pin you down, you just try to slime your way out onto another topic or idea.

I wasn’t taking it down a different direction to avoid it. I quoted  a verse, and missed a word that changed its meaning. You got butt hurt as a result because well your religion. I’m that same post I had said I believed in Euthenising people who don’t/can’t work. I don’t do it often at all but that particular post I am sure would fall into ‘trolling’ territory. I don’t post on here to troll, but I do enjoy the controversial topics. 

I actually enjoy spirited debate and over the years some of my views have evolved. Some of my views roughly 10 years ago I would regularly butt heads with Jakee and Kallend, but I’ve since changed.

And as to thread drift, it was a shitty title. It should have said religious Mumbo Jumbo that makes people feel good, but is a load of crap :) 

18 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The part that strikes me as odd is that it seems that God decided to give each independent group of people a different set of instructions. Along with a different origin story.

Almost as if it didn't come from a "God" at all, that someone just made it all up.

Shush, don’t question it, it’s the perfect written word of god, passed down directly and must never be added or taken away from. But you are allowed to have Pastor Joe explain to you the special nuances that you, who are not so enlightened don’t understand.

So don’t worry, you’re fine eating your bacon sandwich and letting your wife have long hair because...

27 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

I wasn’t taking it down a different direction to avoid it. I quoted  a verse, and missed a word that changed its meaning. You got butt hurt as a result because well your religion.

I knew you were joking, but I took exception with it because it gives the wrong impression. There may be religious types out there that aren't joking when they interpret it as "if you don't work, you don't eat," and then because of that they don't give to those that actually need it.  So I took the time to quickly correct your misleading statement, and then you're the one that got all butt-hurt and started going off on another one of your bigoted rants.

(edited)
1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

Shush, don’t question it, it’s the perfect written word of god, passed down directly and must never be added or taken away from.

Yes, In the original King James version of course. Nevermind that funny language shithole country crap. Aramaic schmaramiac

Edited by gowlerk

This is amazing.  I leave here FOR YEARS, come back to check in, and see the same old characters, still willfully ignorant, arguing the same old stuff against Christianity.  I mean absolutely stupid ass stuff like "you call yourself Christian but you eat shrimp."  That shows a lack of any kind of hermeneutical understanding of biblical laws.

21 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

This is amazing.  I leave here FOR YEARS, come back to check in, and see the same old characters, still willfully ignorant, arguing the same old stuff against Christianity.  I mean absolutely stupid ass stuff like "you call yourself Christian but you eat shrimp."  That shows a lack of any kind of hermeneutical understanding of biblical laws.

Great, thanks for giving me a new word. But maybe now you can tell me why you think I should have "any kind of hermeneutical understanding of biblical laws"? I will agree that arguing with anyone over religious beliefs is pointless. It's like arguing with a flat Earther. Both have made up their minds and evidence or even common sense are both irrelevant.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

I cringe every time I see this.  Bad event = prayer.  If prayer helps with the bad event why did the entity in control allow the bad event in the first place?

This is exactly what I think when I see the people in Tennessee who just lost everything in their life to a tornado, barely escaping with their life, then be all thankful to god for saving them.

Do they also thank god for killing their neighbors?

I'll never understand that.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Great, thanks for giving me a new word. But maybe now you can tell me why you think I should have "any kind of hermeneutical understanding of biblical laws"? I will agree that arguing with anyone over religious beliefs is pointless. It's like arguing with a flat Earther. Both have made up their minds and evidence or even common sense are both irrelevant.

Actually I disagree. Look at my early post history in speakers corner and back then I held some religious belief and argued with Kallend primarily. Through introspection and general education my views have changed. I could have stayed in the religious bubble, surrounded myself with like minded individuals and still be stuck where I was...

7 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

That shows a lack of any kind of hermeneutical understanding of biblical laws.

And that's exactly the point you're ignorant of. If this stuff is important, why isn't it obvious?

11 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

Welcome back.

Where is the 'preponderance of evidence' for the existence of God?
You claimed it years ago, yet failed to provide one iota of actual evidence.

Where is it?

On 3/8/2020 at 1:54 PM, Coreece said:

Given the Law of Grace, I'm initially led to believe that this has nothing to do with salvation and therefore feel no inclination to delve into it at this point.  Tho I will say that given the text,  it appears to have less to do with women and more to do with the relationship between a husband and wife and how it relates to their relationship with Christ and the image it projected throughout society at that time.

From my NIV study bible...11:3 the phase "the head of the woman is man," head is not used to indicate control or supremacy, but rather, "the source of".  Because man was created first, the woman derives her existence from man, as man does from Christ and Christ from God.  Evidently Paul was correcting some excesses in worship that the emancipated Corinthian women were engaging in.  The rest is quite lengthy...but interesting as Paul discusses the relationship between Husband and Wife as equal partners but with separate roles.

19 minutes ago, Channman said:

The rest is quite lengthy...but interesting as Paul discusses the relationship between Husband and Wife as equal partners but with separate roles.

Sort of like how black and white people were "separate but equal"? No problem there, Christians rule, especially white male Christians!