1 1
winsor

The Plague of Justinian

For those who missed it, the Plague of Justinian that started in 541 CE had the effect of initiating the Dark Ages.

Justinian had managed to turn the Mediterranean back into a Roman lake just before yersinia pestis cropped up.  When the dust settled, the surviving population consisted of those who didn't get out much so there wasn't much left of the empire.

After the virulent biological pathogen had done its thing, virulent communicable mental illnesses took over.  The sickest cults held sway and vied for turf, with the Cult of the Magic Jewish Zombie duking it out with the Cult of the Illiterate Pervert Psychopath, and these particular mental illnesses are still endemic.

The medical ramifications of the Wuhan Corona Virus, severe though they may be, are quite limited by comparison to the paradigm shift they herald.  The problem is not the pin, it's the bubble.

Every economy in the world is based on Fiat Currency, which is dependent upon turnover for survival.  Shut down trade and economies implode.

In the US of A, for example, the Government is in debt to the tune of some $220,000 for every taxpayer - with nothing to show for it (unless you can sell aircraft carriers on eBay).  The rest of the world is pretty much as bad off; if any of the major powers tries to survive on its 'savings' it's screwed.

FWIW, what's unfolding now will make the Plague of Justinian look like the 'good old days' that we remember fondly.  Enjoy yourself - it's later than you think.

In the words of Glenn Frey or Don Henley, "I could be wrong but I'm not."

BSBD,

Winsor

2 hours ago, winsor said:

For those who missed it, the Plague of Justinian that started in 541 CE had the effect of initiating the Dark Ages.

Justinian had managed to turn the Mediterranean back into a Roman lake just before yersinia pestis cropped up.  When the dust settled, the surviving population consisted of those who didn't get out much so there wasn't much left of the empire.

After the virulent biological pathogen had done its thing, virulent communicable mental illnesses took over.  The sickest cults held sway and vied for turf, with the Cult of the Magic Jewish Zombie duking it out with the Cult of the Illiterate Pervert Psychopath, and these particular mental illnesses are still endemic.

The medical ramifications of the Wuhan Corona Virus, severe though they may be, are quite limited by comparison to the paradigm shift they herald.  The problem is not the pin, it's the bubble.

Every economy in the world is based on Fiat Currency, which is dependent upon turnover for survival.  Shut down trade and economies implode.

In the US of A, for example, the Government is in debt to the tune of some $220,000 for every taxpayer - with nothing to show for it (unless you can sell aircraft carriers on eBay).  The rest of the world is pretty much as bad off; if any of the major powers tries to survive on its 'savings' it's screwed.

FWIW, what's unfolding now will make the Plague of Justinian look like the 'good old days' that we remember fondly.  Enjoy yourself - it's later than you think.

In the words of Glenn Frey or Don Henley, "I could be wrong but I'm not."

BSBD,

Winsor

How do you cope?

"Daan Struyven and David Mericle, economists at Goldman Sachs, said the example of Japan could prove instructive as the world’s third largest economy had not suffered a debt crisis, even though it arguably has the most public debt as a share of its GDP in the world. Japan’s government debt to GDP ratio sits at 236% in 2017, more than double that of the U.S., which stands at 108%, according to the International Monetary Fund.

“Japan’s experience confirms that a debt crisis is difficult to imagine in a country that issues debt in its own currency, has a flexible exchange rate, and controls its central bank,” wrote Struyven and Mericle. All three features are also shared by the U.S.

At the worst vaccines could take three years to become widespread. The Byzantine Empire had no understand as to what was causing the pandemic. The mortality rate substantially higher v Coronavirus.

Two quarters and at its worst four quarters of zero or slightly below negative growth is not a reasonable comparable. Besides I always look for the positive. A break on global Co2 emissions and a sweep(Dems) in the upcoming US elections could save lives overall.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, winsor said:

(unless you can sell aircraft carriers on eBay). 

I actually remember seeing that back in the early days of ebay. 2004 or 5 I think.

From what I remember it was a decommissioned British carrier that was eventually de-listed as it was classed as 'ordinance'.

7 minutes ago, yoink said:

I actually remember seeing that back in the early days of ebay. 2004 or 5 I think.

From what I remember it was a decommissioned British carrier that was eventually de-listed as it was classed as 'ordinance'.

Excellent memory!  Listed on this page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_eBay_listings

(edited)
29 minutes ago, winsor said:
On 3/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, SkyDekker said:

I take a gun to church and when corona comes I'll shoot it.

Any beer that requires a lime to be palatable is unworthy of consideration.

Ugh, I'm getting nauseated just thinking about it even with the lime, especially when considering all the fecal matter left on the peel.

I saw a bartender grab a handful of limes with her bare hands a few weeks ago as a prop for one of her lame lime jokes, and then she just threw them back in the container.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.  I've grown particularly sensitive to the idea of germs ever since having to care for a loved one with a compromised immune system.

Edited by Coreece

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

Ugh, I'm getting nauseated just thinking about it even with the lime, especially when considering all the fecal matter left on the peel.

I saw a bartender grab a handful of limes with her bare hands a few week ago as a prop for one of her lame lime jokes, and then she just threw them back in the container.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.  I've grown particularly sensitive to the idea of germs ever since having to care for a loved one with a compromised immune system.

You got that right. The internet is as close as I want to get to most of you germ ridden arseholes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I saw a bartender grab a handful of limes with her bare hands a few weeks ago as a prop for one of her lame lime jokes, and then she just threw them back in the container.

Thinking about it a bit more, I might give Brent a bear hug and a tongue in the ear just to Gay freak him. But that is absolutely my limit.

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Thinking about it a bit more, I might give Brent a bear hug and a tongue in the ear just to Gay freak him. But that is absolutely my limit.

Don't forget the reach around.

Just don't forget to wash your hands first.

Speaking of that, do any other guys wash their hands before taking a leak, or is that just me?

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Speaking of that, do any other guys wash their hands before taking a leak, or is that just me?

Not me, and even my OCD wife has not suggested that I do so.

I don't really do it much anymore.  If anything I'll use some hand sanitizer. 

I don't even remember/know why I started doing it in the first place.  I just remember doing it and then thought, hey that kinda makes sense.  Kinda like wiping your ass with wet wipes.  I mean, if you got shit on your arm, would you just wipe it with a dry napkin and then go about your business?

Just now, Coreece said:

I don't really do it much anymore.  If anything I'll use some hand sanitizer. 

I don't even remember/know why I started doing it in the first place.  I just remember doing it and then thought, hey that kinda makes sense.  Kinda like wiping your ass with wet wipes.  I mean, if you got shit on your arm, would you just wipe it with a dry napkin and then go about your business?

My wife is a nurse who takes this stuff seriously. The number of things she comes up with as potential infection sources is mind boggling. And all of them make sense when explained. I do my best not to think about it and hope for the best.

My sister-in-law is a retired infection control nurse. She understands deeply and personally that that which doesn't kill you doesn't always make you stronger, and that what you can't see can, in fact, hurt you... 

But I still swim in the lake in NH anyway...

Wendy P.