1 1
David55

NEW EAR PLUGS MADE FOR SKYDIVERS,

I use these here for 2 years now:

https://www.kind.com/de-de/hoerloesungen/gehoerschutz/kindprotect-pro/

They Look pretty similar and have adjustable filters ( u can buy different Filter Levels).

I got the highest filterlvl available which reduce engine noices very nicely while i am still able to communicate to others.

They are custom made and are about 270€ as far as i can remember.

I used cheap-ish silicon ear plugs with changeable filters.
Good results, no problems communicating in CReW (it actually got better due to dampening of the wind noise), no pressure issues on the plane or during the few freefalls I did.

Unfortunately I lost these earplugs a while back, on a less than perfect jump. I've been using the even more cheapo foam plugs since then - and they also work just fine even though I did not take them into freefall yet.

• Like 1

Me, I take the cheapo foam plugs into freefall. I find I focus much better without the noise. They work great for me, but my ears equalize easily, and I've never had problems putting them in. For commercial flying or sleeping, I use some noise-canceling earbuds, which are like magic. 

Wendy P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baksteen said:

. I've been using the even more cheapo foam plugs since then - and they also work just fine even though I did not take them into freefall yet.

I use the super cheap ones as well, mainly because I KNOW I will loose those expensive ones within a day :-)

Works perfectly for me, but then again it seems that some people's ears are more sensitive for pressure changes than mine.

The only real downside for me  is that they make it a bit harder to communicate before boarding. The custom made earplugs are probably better in that respect.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:46 AM, David55 said:

I  think the big difference with the other products avaible in market is that these ones (bigearinc) has a special solution to allow equalize the pressure!!

I don't know what you mean by "special solution". The surefire earplug filters and others like them allow air to pass through. The super expensive versions are not unique in that way.

• Like 1

No need for special ear plugs.  Good disposable ones that lower the decibel by about -30 are fine and disposable.  I use the same on my motorcycle.  Key is to use them correctly.  I've been using disposable ones for at least 15 years.

• Like 1

I prefer the cheep foam plugs myself.

Only weirdness was that in an older plane I jump, I'm very used to the pilot pulling throttle back after initial takeoff.  Well the first time with them, the reduction in engine noise with the plugs after takeoff made me seriously wonder if we were about to head-back and land...

One key point is, don't wait until you've been jumping for years (and have tinnitus), start with them early.

JW