1 1
Nino0679

Big guy skydiving

Question

Hello guys

So I decided to finally pursuit one of my biggest dreams, to become a skydiver. 

However, doing my research I found out that most AFF courses has a weight limit between 200-220lb

the issue is, I’m big guy, 6ft2, 225lb and its not fat at all, I’m very fit. 

Does that mean I have to kiss this dream goodbye? 

Would anyone be able to elaborate or shed some light on this area cause I made a lot of research and I didnt find anything speaking about the topic for this angle....

Thank you

Nino

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Nino0679 said:

Hello guys

So I decided to finally pursuit one of my biggest dreams, to become a skydiver. 

However, doing my research I found out that most AFF courses has a weight limit between 200-220lb

the issue is, I’m big guy, 6ft2, 225lb and its not fat at all, I’m very fit. 

Does that mean I have to kiss this dream goodbye? 

Would anyone be able to elaborate or shed some light on this area cause I made a lot of research and I didnt find anything speaking about the topic for this angle....

Thank you

Nino

If that is your true weight you are within the limits of most programs. We are a small Cessna 182 DZ and we would take you without a second thought. Larger DZs with bigger staff and aircraft should have no problem.

If you come to Canada or the USA there are lots of options. The 2 Toronto operations offer training for people up to 250lbs. In the USA there are lots of places - the Spaceland franchise for example. Couple places in Georgia too. Just do the research. I am hoping to do my first jump this year. I am 6'3" 250 and hoping to lose some more weight. If you can get sub 220 the options are almost endless.

I think one of the biggest limiting factors is that most reserves are TSOed at a 250lb out the door weight limit. There are some that are approved at a higher weight limit. The large PD Optimums are one.

I was almost 230 in shape( like you, fit not fat at all) when I got into skydiving, made some things harder (reaching for handle easily due to shoulders)… I did drop 20lbs in the last 1.5 years and things are a lot easier for me.

All this to say, dont give up on this dream.

Yeah, and the weight limit is really just a guideline in most cases.  I've seen guys go through AFF who were much bigger than that (like 6'4 250 but lean).  How it's been explained to me is that it's for instructor safety mostly.  If the person is large and out of shape, the instructor has a lot more physical stress on their body, as well as potential issues with harness fit.  Go for it!  You'll be fine!