5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

So telling children they need to wear bulletproof backpacks to school, making them walk through metal detectors, paying armed guards, and regularly practicing active shooter drills is “just the price for freedom”
But wearing a damn mask is tyranny?

23 minutes ago, normiss said:

So telling children they need to wear bulletproof backpacks to school, making them walk through metal detectors, paying armed guards, and regularly practicing active shooter drills is “just the price for freedom”

I think that sums up the US of A nicely.

10 hours ago, kallend said:

A lifetime of practice at being antisocial is finally paying off.

Bingo. It was a bit unnerving to realize how little my life changed during the lockdown. 

9 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Not even close to implying that. . 

Fair enough. It seemed to read that way. 
You are (were) a Trump supporter. That group is, by a large majority, the biggest of the "Covid deniers". Somehow, that's not a big surprise.

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

There is some truth to that. On the day of George Floyd's Funeral Service; Trump said, "This is a great day for George Floyd."  At that point; I was like WTF?!?!? and was done as his interpreter. After much time and thought - I can and will hold to the Republican platform.. 

What platform is that? From what I've read, the GOP convention won't have a new platform for Trump to run on. They're going to recycle the one from last time, which is pretty funny. It repeatedly mentions Obama as president.

I've voted almost exclusively R my whole life. Unfortunately, the malaise with them isn't just Trump. He's more of a symptom than the actual disease. 
When McConnell said he would oppose anything Obama brought up, even if it hurt the country, I was deeply disappointed.
When he refused to do his Constitutional duty and hold hearings for Garland, I was done. 
He doesn't care about the law, he doesn't care about the Constitution, he doesn't care about 'right & wrong'. He cares about power.

I'm done with the Rs. For good.
I don't like the Ds much, although I'll vote for Biden. 

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I honestly think a fair amount of the division of the last 20 years might have been dulled if McCain instead of Bush had won the Republican nomination in 2000. Especially with someone like Kay Bailey Hutchinson as running mate. 
The McCain of 2008 was a shadow. 

Wendy P. 

McCain was pretty much destined to lose in 08. After 8 years of Bush being the puppet for Darth Cheny, the Koch bros & PNAC, there was very little chance of any R winning the White House.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Nope. Wearing a mask is an intelligence test.

It deterimines if the person understands basic science.

It's deeply disappointing, although not terribly surprising, how many are failing this test. Unfortunately, the price for failure will be pretty severe for some.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I can and will hold to the Republican platform.. 

Trump currently writes the Republican platform.  I have a feeling you might be saying "what the Republican platform used to be" which would make more sense.

(edited)
3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

...I'm done with the Rs. For good.

I don't like the Ds much, although I'll vote for Biden. ...

Hopefully you'll live long enough to regret that statement. trump isn't a republican he's a populist and he's battered politics so much that many have forgot it.

The GOP will arise again post trump. I think they will pay a heavy penalty for the trump years. Voters can be fickle with short memories. Not saying that there is anything wrong with yours. But a new republican party will arise that ensures that someone like trump never defecates the party again.

Think of trump as a bad case of diarrhea. You vow never to eat "xxxxx" again but sooner or later you try it one more time.

Edited by Phil1111

12 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Hopefully you'll live long enough to regret that statement. trump isn't a republican he's a populist and he's battered politics so much that many have forgot it.

The GOP will arise again post trump. I think they will pay a heavy penalty for the trump years. Voters can be fickle with short memories. Not saying that there is anything wrong with yours. But a new republican party will arise that ensures that someone like trump never defecates the party again.

Think of trump as a bad case of diarrhea. You vow never to eat "xxxxx" again but sooner or later you try it one more time.

Not exactly.

As I noted, McConnell and the other Rs were doing some pretty disgusting crap before Trump came along.

The federal judge appointments are a good example. McConnell & the Senate have confirmed more federal judges than any previous senate. McConnell has encouraged judges that are nearing retirement to retire early, so that they can put their toadies in place, young enough to last for a while.
What they've done to the partisanship of the federal judiciary is truly frightening and will take a LONG time to get past.

The R base has gone so far out in right field (pun intended) that it's as frightening as the judiciary.

There have been a couple major candidates who are truly despicable. Deplorable even. Roy Moore in Alabama is an excellent example. How the hell did he win a primary?

Steve King in Iowa was a congresscritter. He lost out on the recent primary, but he has held office since 03. How did he not get tossed once his true colors became obvious.

I'd love (really, really love) to see the "Lincoln Project" folks take over the R party. Not betting on it, but it would be nice.
But the R base would still be a large group of racist, xenophobic, religious nutjobs. I think their candidates will reflect that for a while.

• Like 1

(edited)
23 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not exactly.

As I noted, McConnell and the other Rs were doing some pretty disgusting crap before Trump came along.

The federal judge appointments are a good example. McConnell & the Senate have confirmed more federal judges than any previous senate. McConnell has encouraged judges that are nearing retirement to retire early, so that they can put their toadies in place, young enough to last for a while.
What they've done to the partisanship of the federal judiciary is truly frightening and will take a LONG time to get past.

The R base has gone so far out in right field (pun intended) that it's as frightening as the judiciary.

There have been a couple major candidates who are truly despicable. Deplorable even. Roy Moore in Alabama is an excellent example. How the hell did he win a primary?

Steve King in Iowa was a congresscritter. He lost out on the recent primary, but he has held office since 03. How did he not get tossed once his true colors became obvious.

I'd love (really, really love) to see the "Lincoln Project" folks take over the R party. Not betting on it, but it would be nice.
But the R base would still be a large group of racist, xenophobic, religious nutjobs. I think their candidates will reflect that for a while.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said.

I do disagree that what you have as a perception of the R "Base", is just that - perception.

Its the same as me saying that the D base is made up of freeloading, gun banning, hippy tree huggers.

Its not true.

Edited by turtlespeed

16 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

What platform is that? From what I've read, the GOP convention won't have a new platform for Trump to run on. They're going to recycle the one from last time, which is pretty funny. It repeatedly mentions Obama as president.

I've been calling it the Make America Great Again Again campaign.  MAGAA!!

(edited)
55 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not exactly.

A...

I don't disagree with any of that. But I also think that trump is a one off to the worst of the GOP. That he drove republicans from the party who wanted compromise.,wanted America to be a country where everyone had equal opportunities.

Edited by Phil1111

13 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I've always wondered about the rationale of testing.  I test negative today and get exposed tomorrow.  What good is it?

Because done properly, it's not just testing. You test positive, you isolate and the people you have contact with get tested. Those who test positive isolate and the people they've had contact with get tested, etc. Compared to the alternatives of locking down everyone and having no economy, and locking down no-one and seeing huge numbers of infections this is a good thing.

I've gotta be honest, at this stage of the game I really wonder how someone who appears to be interested and has been actively discussing the subject for months doesn't have even a passing awareness of the concepts involved. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I've always wondered about the rationale of testing.  I test negative today and get exposed tomorrow.  What good is it?

That's why it's recommended only for those who may be symptomatic or those who may be near people who are high risk.  For example, I'm going to fly at the end of July to meet up with my extended family.  I'll get tested the appropriate time beforehand, self quarantine and take the appropriate precautions on the plane.

The other example is if a region is having a rise in cases they may recommend that residents get tested for improved tracking.

44 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Later testing reveals that you are positive.  Since you've been quarantining since the exposure, then no one else is exposed.

How do you know you got exposed?
1) A contact tracer called you and told you.
2) You realized you were exposed (i.e. you got a call from a friend you had lunch with)
3) You were in a high risk situation (i.e. on an airplane, in a hospital) and could have been exposed.

23 minutes ago, jakee said:

I've gotta be honest, at this stage of the game I really wonder how someone who appears to be interested and has been actively discussing the subject for months doesn't have even a passing awareness of the concepts involved. 

I really wonder about people who've seen Trump lie, cheat, break promises, make racist remarks, have a revolving door for "the best people", fake being Christian, mock the disabled, insult decorated veterans, put self interest above that of the country and generally be a jerk,  yet they still support him. 

30 minutes ago, jakee said:

We do have a president who is working hard to equate precautions to opposing him.  A lot of his strongest supporters are deciding that taking precautions, understanding the science and supporting mitigation of the pandemic is equivalent to "letting the opposition win."  Look at the number of masks worn at his rally last week - they were few and far between.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

We do have a president who is working hard to equate precautions to opposing him.  A lot of his strongest supporters are deciding that taking precautions, understanding the science and supporting mitigation of the pandemic is equivalent to "letting the opposition win."  Look at the number of masks worn at his rally last week - they were few and far between.

Turns out the anti-climate change playbook doesn't work as well on a pandemic.

37 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Turns out the anti-climate change playbook doesn't work as well on a pandemic.

Actually, it seems to work just fine.

Look how many Trump supporters are denying the science. 

They are far more likely to get sick, some of them are going to die, but they are going for the 'playbook' just the same.

54 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Is there an accurate chart that shows the numbers of hospitalizations?

I'd like to see one that shows positive cases and hospitalizations as separate data. 

Here is what I have found - From Tallahassee, FL.

If I'm not mistaken - we are looking at roughly 9K cases - Up from 2000 cases just two weeks ago. 7000 people!!!

The same time frame - hospitalizations only rose about 60 for that same 7000 person increase.

Why is that?

image.png.95096f3f0b117ccc9c468383eb9efba5.png

image.png.ac3044edf244006de2a3b5759f7d42db.png

(edited)
13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Speculating, likely a result of virus spreading among younger population resulting in less hospitalizations.

Found it - 

The comments say that they added the positive antibody tests to the positive case results.

You are probably right as well.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/06/24/two-charts-show-positive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

Edited by turtlespeed