5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

6 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I think I'm probably older than almost anyone else reading this thread, so I have some historical background. For example, I was 20 when Nixon resigned over Watergate.

Kallend received his Bachelors degree 7 years earlier, so I doubt you are older, kid.

Mike Pence: “If you don’t have symptoms you should not get tested.”

2 minutes later: “ A member of my staff has tested positive… I have not had any contact with him. I do not have any symptoms.”

2 minutes later: “ I will be getting tested this afternoon.”

(edited)
6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I've come to the point where I can only take SO much of the news reports, especially the ones coming out of CNN and MSNBC.

You've made two points that I'll address, the news being the first one. Even more despicable than before this pandemic. 

"The formula is simple: Whatever the president does is not just wrong, it’s borderline evil. Details at 11. In the real world, events are unfolding at a pace and scale impossible to comprehend. But at too many news outlets, the aim is not to inform. It’s to render the harshest possible judgment on the man journalists love to hate . . "To get there, they’ve had to reverse themselves on a key allegation. For three years the same media told us Trump was a fascist and a budding Hitler, but now his refusal to rule with an iron fist is also cause for condemnation."

SOURCE: https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/shameful-media-still-slamming-donald-trump-during-coronavirus-crisis-goodwin/

Your Statement: ". . .what can happen if you delay in such matters such as this pandemic. A few weeks, a couple of months of bullshitting people and telling them everything is okay and yes, 'we' have it under control."

I'm going to ask you to review both the following "Trump Calendar" that was posted a page or two ago: 

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coronavirus-calendar/2645515793

With that of the following coronavirus spread map with dates & spread since the beginning. The historical context of SARS, MERS, Swine, etc. was the foundation of decision-making and to me; the response matched the spread timeline:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-us-cases-spread.html

Don't get me wrong. I understand why people hate him. Sometimes he tests my ability to even support him. But, as we move forward with this, we're going to have to put political 'stuff' aside.

Edited by BIGUN
grammar

45 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Don't get me wrong. I understand why people hate him. Sometimes he tests my ability to even support him. But, as we move forward with this, we're going to have to put political 'stuff' aside.

Then what’s the deal with the right wing nonsense you just copied from the NY Post?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

But when you look back on all of it now, and compare Nixon to Trump, there is no doubt that I would throw out the red carpet to the Oval Office like yesterday...if we could magically replace Trump with Nixon. What Nixon did seems so petty now, and the things Trump has done...his constant lying, his friends going to Federal prison while he remains untouched, his ignoring the corona virus problem until it got out of hand...these things are FAR worse than anything Nixon did while HE was in office. Hell, I would even take Bush II back in a heartbeat. 

I'm barely younger -- I was 19 when he resigned. And I wouldn't roll out the red carpet, even though he was, overall, a far better President. Mainly because he also tried to pervert the institution, and that's wrong. Period. Trump won't leave as much of a legislative legacy, simply because no one other than sycophants respects him. Some trust him, some support him in his role of President (and that's fine). But people are having to look harder for policy issues to support him on. 

Both are damaging to what we see as our country. But maybe, just maybe, our country is changing around us, as it did in the 1960's (when minorities were all of a sudden demanding to have access to the means of democracy), the 1930's (with global depression and the needs of the people exceeding those of the government), or even the 1890's (when the spoils system was pretty much put paid to by the civil service). 

With the advent of the importance of money/wealth as an arbiter of worth and power (thanks, 80's), as well as the codification of that in the 2000's (thanks, Citizens United), we're changing anyway. Not to mention that whole little internet thingie, and 24-hour-news meaning that we now need far more news to fill our days.

We are where we are. We don't want to get "back to where we were," we can't. But we can figure out a new point to aim towards. We're a ship in motion across many dimensions, one of them being time, and we haven't figured out how to navigate time yet. All we can do is try to plan for it, knowing that it's going to pass and keep other things developing.

/epontification

Wendy P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

You've made two points that I'll address, the news being the first one. Even more despicable than before this pandemic. ..

"The formula is simple: Whatever the president does is not just wrong, it’s borderline evil. Details at 11. In the real world, events are unfolding at a pace and scale impossible to comprehend. But at too many news outlets, the aim is not to inform. It’s to render the harshest possible judgment on the man journalists love to hate . .

Thanks for the more detailed response. I will try to point out a few positions in error. The so called MSM that trump supporters love to attack. Have to sell advertising. They have markets that they have to appeal to. Broadly speaking they have to appeal to the majorities of Americans. The center and to the right-left of the spectrum. There are no major newspapers in the US that outright support trump. AKA FOX. FOX is the only outlet that unabashedly will support most every lie and position he establishes.

I agree that CNN will bash and attack every position trump maintains. That their journalists phrase their questions to solicit responses derogatory of trump, details at 0600. But they seldom lie. When they make a mistake in fact they usually correct it. They invite trump apologists to air their views. FOX does not.

ABC, CBS, Time magazine, US news, let alone BBC, etc. To read your logic they all have journalists out to smear trump. Sorry to disappoint you. Thats not the case.

IMO the hard core trump base, 28-32% of the US population will support trump regardless of what he does. Then there is another 25%, more or less that doesn't follow every twist, turn of Washington and media coverage of politics. That support him from time to time.

"Put political 'stuff' aside requires an an ability to reach across the political divide for common objectives. Again and again trump has spoken about doing exactly that. Only to change his mind when his base attacks such compromise. In addition he refuses to recognize that all sides can be "winners" in a negotiation. For him he has to see victory in a negotiation.Or at least paint a loss as a victory.

Instead of interjecting himself into the daily C-19 press conference. He could leave it up to Pence.To medical professionals. Thats who he appointed to lead the response. He could chair a daily conference with democrats and republicans. To craft a united response to the fiscal needs of America.The medical response that America needs. Unfortunately that type of leadership runs contrary to his objectives of November 2. Currently the election is the only thing that matters to him. It also runs contrary to his inherent need to have the spotlight solely on himself.

• Like 1

Haha...you oldsters.  I was 14 when he waved goodbye and Mr. Nixon changed my world view in the space of a couple of years.  I had my ultra conservative father telling me about his accomplishments.  He had a few...China being the main one.  But between Watergate and Vietnam I went from a being a kid oblivious to the goings on of politics to a jaded teenager.

I get that you want to hate Trump but let's wait until this thing is over.  It's still just beginning and no one knows the outcome yet.

16 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I get that you want to hate Trump but let's wait until this thing is over.  It's still just beginning and no one knows the outcome yet.

Trump has earned the hate. But hating him or loving him will have no impact on the course of this event at all. They are not related in any way.

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Trump has earned the hate. But hating him or loving him will have no impact on the course of this event at all. They are not related in any way.

Thats not true.For America, imagine the course of events if trump had appointed Mattis or McMaster to lead the response, working with the CDC. Ordered to set politics aside with a $2 trillion budget.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

Thats not true.For America, imagine the course of events if trump had appointed Mattis or McMaster to lead the response, working with the CDC. Ordered to set politics aside with a $2 trillion budget.

You didn't really read what I said.

6 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Then you should hope that Biden chooses his running mate wisely.

I am so hoping. I've made it known I favor Klobuchar first or any character from Doctor Zeuss second. But, in the words of the bard: "here's the deal", Will you be voting for Biden in November? 

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I am so hoping. I've made it known I favor Klobuchar first or any character from Doctor Zeuss second. But, in the words of the bard: "here's the deal", Will you be voting for Biden in November? 

I know it won't happen but I'd love to see Tammy Duckworth as running mate.  A disabled veteran would really strengthen the ticket against a draft-dodging survivor of the STDs of the '60s.

12 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Too early to say...

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You didn't really read what I said.

Imagine the course of of events with regards to trump's popularity and changing perceptions of trump. If he had handled this C-19 crisis as if it was a war that required real leadership. Had he handed this crisis off to either McMaster or Mattis. To fight this with focus, speed and resources. Then rode that outcome to the 2020 election. If he set aside self promoting narcissism to fight this crisis. Polls indicate he would win.

How about that! and you're right I didn't. But trump can't change his stripes..er the color of his skin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kallend said:

I know it won't happen but I'd love to see Tammy Duckworth as running mate.  A disabled veteran would really strengthen the ticket against a draft-dodging survivor of the STDs of the '60s.

Insightful, I wonder how long it would take for trump to attack her sex, disability, credibility, honor, integrity, service record,...