5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, billeisele said:

Interesting interview and article.

This is an even more interesting article, from a woman who is a medical professional in the UK.  She has found an all natural way to prevent COVID, and it's been working for her very well.  AND it's from a source that's a lot more reliable than the Epoch Times.  From the article:

"I found a free and vegan-friendly alternative method to boost the body’s immune system. You don’t always know what is in pharmaceutical medicine – it is much better for the body to drink something that doesn’t contain chemicals.

"It isn’t much different to a mother breastfeeding her newborn to give them the nutrients they need. It isn’t for everyone but it is packed full of vitamins and I haven’t had a cold or flu ever since drinking it in 2017 – I also put it on my face to clear up my skin."

It worked for her and it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  I'd advise starting as soon as you can.  Can't hurt, right?

covid_protection.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

If your main source of medical advice is coming from the Epoch Times and Tik Tok, well you might just be a Darwin Award winner in the making.

Fortunately, neither assumption is true. The Tik Tok was intended as humor, as was clearly stated with the opening of, "A little humor."  On the article and interview I said it was, "Interesting", meaning interesting input to the discussion. The Dr Haider interview and article just happened to be an article written in Epoch. He is covered in other sources. The guy is board certified in Internal Medicine with 15+ years of practical experience providing him plenty of topic specific experience. That doesn't prove he is an expert but provides does provide credibility.

As has been stated before, the COVID topic is complicated. What is also becoming clearer every day is that the so-called vaccine isn't providing the protection everyone was told. It's not preventing the contraction of COVID. No doubt that in most people it's limiting the severity of the reaction. So...if there are preventative measures that are mildly or highly effective it sure would be nice to know about them. We certainly aren't hearing anything from the government except - take the shot. Clearly, based off the science and actual results it's not working. More options are needed.

One can choose to blindly trust the government and talking heads, or one can choose to learn about potential options. No doubt some options are difficult or impossible to believe. Billvon seems to advocate his own special smoothie. The Vit C, D3, multi vitamin, Quercetin, zinc regiment has been around a long time. As it's discussed today the goal is to boost the immune system. For those that use it, they are having great success. This MD "says" that he's having great success with his protocols. He stated that he has treated over 4,000 cases with only 5 hospitalization and no deaths. That claim would be easy to verify by someone with adequate access.

I sincerely hope that everyone finds their way through this mess with minimal impacts. And even more so, we can treat folks respectfully in the process.

4 minutes ago, billeisele said:

As has been stated before, the COVID topic is complicated. What is also becoming clearer every day is that the so-called vaccine isn't providing the protection everyone was told.

Did somebody tell you the vaccine was going to be effective against all future possible mutations?

5 minutes ago, billeisele said:

One can choose to blindly trust the government and talking heads, or one can choose to learn about potential options.

As indicated above, you seem to be unable to grasp even the most basic of concepts, so I don't think learning is very high on the list of things you are looking to do. You are looking to confirm a bias you established early on. You are doing the opposite of learning.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, billeisele said:

As has been stated before, the COVID topic is complicated. What is also becoming clearer every day is that the so-called vaccine isn't providing the protection everyone was told. It's not preventing the contraction of COVID. No doubt that in most people it's limiting the severity of the reaction. So...if there are preventative measures that are mildly or highly effective it sure would be nice to know about them. We certainly aren't hearing anything from the government except - take the shot. Clearly, based off the science and actual results it's not working. More options are needed.

Except that no one proposing the vaccine ever said that it was either perfect or going to protect completely. Only the naysayers, putting words into the government's and scientific mouths.

The part about how it's limiting the severity of the reaction is what we have now. It's a much cheaper way to limit the severity than the upcoming COVID treatment medicine that was just developed (also in a tear-ass hurry). It's preventing the contraction of some COVID, just as the flu vaccine prevents the contracting of some flu.

Note that before masks, flu killed 30-50,000 people per year, so obviously the flu vaccine wasn't perfect either (even among those who took it -- there have been flu naysayers also). But flu hasn't threatened to overrun the hospitals in the US for about 100 years. Impacts in big flu years, but nothing like COVID in the last two.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, billeisele said:

As has been stated before, the COVID topic is complicated. What is also becoming clearer every day is that the so-called vaccine isn't providing the protection everyone was told. It's not preventing the contraction of COVID.

And no one claimed it did, outside of social media and intentional misinformation.

So...if there are preventative measures that are mildly or highly effective it sure would be nice to know about them.

There are.  Masking, distancing, staying home, regular testing and avoiding large indoor crowds are all 100% safe and proven effective in reducing spread of COVID.   Vaccines are also effective, and are 99.999998% safe.

One can choose to blindly trust the government and talking heads, or one can choose to learn about potential options.

Absolutely true!  And one can learn about them in places like the New England Journal of Medicine, the American Pediatrics Association, Lancet or Nature.  That makes one better informed.  Or one can learn about them from the Epoch Times, FOX News, the Washington Examiner and Alex Jones.  That makes one less informed.

This MD "says" that he's having great success with his protocols. He stated that he has treated over 4,000 cases with only 5 hospitalization and no deaths.

And that means he is having about the same success as every other doctor treating omicron patients from a mostly-vaccinated cohort - specifically the cohort that seeks out a primary care doctor for their care.

53 minutes ago, billeisele said:

One can choose to blindly trust the government and talking heads,

The talking heads have a job. That job is to find out the relevant information and to report it to you. But if you don't like the message I suppose that you could search in the dark corners of the web and find people with more "interesting" things to report that are more along the lines of what you want to hear. Some people call that "research". 

A bit of data I gleaned from the Worldometer database:

The death rate peaked last year around Jan 25th at 3300* a day.  Going back 14 days to Jan 11 we saw the infection rate peak at 256,000 a day.  That tells us two things - that for that wave, deaths lagged new infections by about two weeks, and if you got infected you had a 1.3% chance of dying.

Today the death rate is around 1200 a day.  Going back 14 days we see an infection rate of 192,000 a day.  So the odds of death (if you get infected) have declined to .6% - less than half.  This is no doubt due to:

-vaccination, which continues to protect against hospitalization and death
-better treatment protocols (pronation, ventilator settings, antivirals)
-a gradual replacement of delta with omicron (which seems less virulent)

This indicates that if we could get the rest of the holdouts vaccinated we could cut deaths down dramatically even if the next infection wave is huge.

(* all numbers are 7 day averages)

49 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Looks like we will get 30 million cases in the US in January.  Maybe 40+. 

San Diego county already has ~15% of health system workforce out sick or isolated.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2022-01-04/covid

From that article:

=============

It’s hardest, she said, seeing serious consequences among those who have chosen not to increase their chances of a mild case by getting vaccinated.  She recalled a recent 62-year-old patient who decided he would do better getting infected than getting the vaccine. He just got out of the intensive care unit three weeks ago after nearly losing his bout with the virus and likely will never work again.

“He was intubated and had two strokes, his kidneys failed, and that’s the catch; you do well unless you don’t,” she said. “There’s nothing we can tell you.”

===============

Not that that's anything new.

6 hours ago, billvon said:

This indicates that if we could get the rest of the holdouts vaccinated we could cut deaths down dramatically even if the next infection wave is huge.

(* all numbers are 7 day averages)

With morons like this vying for leadership positions?
https://www.ocregister.com/2022/01/04/husband-kelly-ernby-wasnt-vaccinated-when-she-died-of-covid-19-complications/

Good luck with that.

(edited)

Looks like the very Democrat lead state of New York has many more cases of COVID than the larger and Republican lead states of Florida and Texas.

75,000+ for NY

59,000+ for Fl

47,000+ for TX

(Just because someone shares information that upsets your world view doesn’t make that person a Troll, it makes them a teacher…class dismissed)

Edited by brenthutch

And what is your point about this? That COVID is, in fact, a threat of some sort?

Hospitals here (another very blue state) are quite overrun with patients. The vast majority of which are not vaccinated. And the percentage of people being hospitalized appears to be going down -- that, too, may be in part due to the vaccine, and possibly in part due to the seemingly slightly less virulent nature of Omicron. Given the number of people who are going to the hospital in the US, it's clear that it's still not the common cold.

I read an interesting article saying that part of why Europe and the US have been harder hit than many other places is in part due to the larger percentage of fat people -- the coronavirus seems to be able to infect fat tissue (webmd reference)

Of course, this all has to do with statistics and trends -- there are fat people who recover, and thin people who die. Just like some careful skydivers bounce.

Wendy P.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I read an interesting article saying that part of why Europe and the US have been harder hit than many other places is in part due to the larger percentage of fat people -- the coronavirus seems to be able to infect fat tissue (webmd reference)

Interestingly it also correlates to countries with higher vaccination rates.  One third of the COVID patients in our local hospital are fully vaccinated.  
BTW both my wife and I are fully vaccinated and boosted….and currently recovering from Omicron.  
From what we are now seeing, comorbidities are more a factor than vaccine status when it comes to hospitalization and omicron.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Just because someone shares information that upsets your world view doesn’t make that person a Troll

You do know climate change upsets my world view right? I've said it several times - I could definitely do with it not actually happening, one less problem to worry about!

So no, you're not upsetting world views - you're just a troll.

Edit: Can't speak for everyone here of course, but I suspect most other people here don't like worrying about it either. It would be a very strange person who does...

Edited by olofscience

31 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Can't speak for everyone here of course, but I suspect most other people here don't like worrying about it either. It would be a very strange person who does...

He likely thinks everyone is like he is.  In other words, if there's a BLM riot and four cops get killed, he's ecstatic - because he can troll people with that.  So in his mind, if you find some negative news about climate change (i.e. it's worse than expected) then "you win" because you can use it in an argument with him.

His mindset really has nothing to do with what's a good outcome or not.  It's how effectively he can zing you.  That's it.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And what is your point about this? That COVID is, in fact, a threat of some sort?

Hospitals here (another very blue state) are quite overrun with patients. The vast majority of which are not vaccinated. And the percentage of people being hospitalized appears to be going down -- that, too, may be in part due to the vaccine, and possibly in part due to the seemingly slightly less virulent nature of Omicron. Given the number of people who are going to the hospital in the US, it's clear that it's still not the common cold.

Of course, this all has to do with statistics and trends -- there are fat people who recover, and thin people who die. Just like some careful skydivers bounce.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Re:  And what is your point about this?

Quite often I do a cut-n-paste out of a recent post.  Then I do a Slant & Bold to the quote.  I'm sure there are some on here who think that this is stupid.

IMO this lets people know exactly what I am talking about in any reply.

As for this line from your post; I have not a clue as to what you are referring to.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) About 40 yrs ago, I took a class in Technical Writing.  The one thing that stood out for me was:  If you write something and the reader does not understand what you wrote, then you wasted your time.

• Like 2