5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

45 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

...... Maybe Covid has just shown us how many of us really are jerks.

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

^Truth

Or who in the population trusts, understands science and truly respects others.

I was surprised at the disclosures this week about the low vax rates in Switzerland. Or the debate that led to the national vote on vaccine passports for the vaccinated. Which passed at 63% v. eliminating them. Previously I'd thought the Swiss to be more a homogeneous population with a more scientific mind.

• Like 1

This article:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pfizer-new-covid-19-protease-inhibitor-drug-is-not-just-repackaged-ivermectin/

is a pretty interesting (to me) treatment of the progress toward the use of protease inhibitors for SARS-CoV-2.

This article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-020-01577-x

gets more into the nuts and bolts of the process.

Protease inhibitors are very useful for chronic but difficult to transmit viruses.  HIV and Hepatitis C are examples, where their transmission requires up close and personal exchange of bodily fluids (blood et al.).

SARS-CoV-2, OTOH, is airborne, so one can receive an infectious inoculum just by being in the vicinity of someone shedding virus.

Given the 'life cycle' of the virus and its demonstrated propensity for reinfection, successful treatment for demonstrated exposure is unlikely to prevent subsequent infection.

My guess is that, when the Pfizer offering is approved, its utility will be for people testing positive and any known contacts, so that the disease does not progress to full-blown COVID-19, repeat as necessary.  We'll see.

BSBD,

Winsor

Edited by winsor

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Maybe Covid has just shown us how many of us really are jerks.

I forget which science-minded person this was, but someone was talking to an anti-masker/anti-vaxxer about why both are important, and he said he got to a point where he didn't know how to explain to the anti-vaxxer that they should care about other people.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I was surprised at the disclosures this week about the low vax rates in Switzerland. Or the debate that led to the national vote on vaccine passports for the vaccinated. Which passed at 63% v. eliminating them. Previously I'd thought the Swiss to be more a homogeneous population with a more scientific mind.

Which is why no one should feel bad about getting 3 or 6 boosters if they think it's helping. How can anyone know, and indications are dim, how big the anti-vax population really is in any underserved nation. Hell, we can't even vaccinate Alabama.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

I forget which science-minded person this was, but someone was talking to an anti-masker/anti-vaxxer about why both are important, and he said he got to a point where he didn't know how to explain to the anti-vaxxer that they should care about other people.

That's crazy. Did the Republican even try to answer?

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

... Maybe Covid has just shown us how many of us really are jerks.

No "maybe" about it.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

This too.

37 minutes ago, billvon said:

It's widely attributed to Fauci (that's who I thought said it), but it's not from him.
Its actually from the "Repeal Obamacare" bullshit back in 2017.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/a33547008/viral-dr-fauci-quote-caring-for-others/

I've said it more than once that the past couple years hasn't really destroyed my faith in humanity, mainly because it didn't really exist pre-Covid.

But I've certainly lost what little shreds I had left.

I've mentioned the Herman Cain Awards a few times before.
The 'funny' part about them is that the 'winners' (dead people) are most often conservatives.

Trump fans.

The type who post shit on FB (and other places) saying "I don't care if you're vaccinated", or the Trumpette standby "Fuck Your Feelings". 

So, of course, that type is all up in arms, horribly offended, terribly put out that people are mocking the anti-vaxxers who end up in bad shape. Or dead.

They want it stopped.

Shut down. 

You know, cancelled.

Because their feelings are hurt.

Go figure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's widely attributed to Fauci (that's who I thought said it), but it's not from him.
Its actually from the "Repeal Obamacare" bullshit back in 2017.

Interesting!  I knew it wasn't from Fauci but I had seen it recently enough that I thought it was specific to COVID.

8 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

It is homogenous culturally (in its own pluralistic way) but the  "don't tread on me," conservative political dynamic in rural parts here is similar to that in the US. The Swiss equivalent of the republican party (SVP) comprises about a third of the population. No other party claims such a large share.

With that said, its members don't rail loudly and constantly against climate science, evolution and epidemiology; they just see covid-related mandates as an affront to their independent sensibilities, without considering the collective nature of the problem.

1 minute ago, masterblaster72 said:

It is homogenous culturally (in its own pluralistic way) but the  "don't tread on me," conservative political dynamic in rural parts here is similar to that in the US. The Swiss equivalent of the republican party (SVP) comprises about a third of the population. No other party claims such a large share.

With that said, its members don't rail loudly and constantly against climate science, evolution and epidemiology; they just see covid-related mandates as an affront to their independent sensibilities, without considering the collective nature of the problem.

There are rural parts of Switzerland? I'm heading off to google earth....??....

Like where the local dairy farmers can shoot their SG 550 rifles for fun? Obviously when the cows are in the milking sheds.

Pfizer did a pretty good presentation about how protease inhibitors can address COVID-19:

https://www.covidviruslifecycle.com/

Unfortunately, given that SARS-CoV-2 and all its variants are now effectively endemic, the utility of protease inhibitors is largely limited to suppression of existing infections, with best results being with accurate testing and early detection.

Like HIV, SARS-CoV-2 is out there and being happily spread around.  Its incubation period and tendency toward shedding virus while asymptomatic make its elimination unlikely.

Welcome to the new reality.

BSBD,

Winsor

14 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There are rural parts of Switzerland? I'm heading off to google earth....??....

Like where the local dairy farmers can shoot their SG 550 rifles for fun? Obviously when the cows are in the milking sheds.

If you hear people speaking Romansch, you're likely in a remote valley somewhere.

Casual target shooting across valleys - at significant ranges - is rather the norm in rural areas.  The Gov't supplies large amounts of ammo, and people are happy to make sure that it is used up while fresh.

They tend to be pretty good marksmen.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:25 AM, Phil1111 said:

Previously I'd thought the Swiss to be more a homogeneous population with a more scientific mind.

Swiss are politically pretty firmly on the right side of the political spectrum with ruling party a right wing nationalist party. We have seen worldwide a politically charged response to vaccines and masking regulations. So, can't say I am really surprised.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:01 PM, Erroll said:

At this time there is absolutely no evidence that it 'originated' in South Africa. The South African virology scientists, who are among the most advanced and pro-active in the world(having had to deal with HIV, Ebola, Malaria etc.), were the first to discover the variant. The rest of the international community, led by the UK which has 10 times more daily infections than South Africa, had a massive knee-jerk reaction and as a result almost all international travel from South Africa has been banned. It feels is if the country is being punished for being at the forefront of virology research.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

The axe falls in Oregon: 

Evening Jerry,

I just don't get it. More than 8.05 billion doses have been administered across 184 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. The latest rate was roughly 37 million doses a day. In the U.S., 461 million doses have been given so far. An average 1.12 million doses per day were administered over the last week. ~https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/ (Dec 1, 2021)

Keith

12 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Evening Jerry,

I just don't get it. More than 8.05 billion doses have been administered across 184 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. The latest rate was roughly 37 million doses a day. In the U.S., 461 million doses have been given so far. An average 1.12 million doses per day were administered over the last week. ~https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/ (Dec 1, 2021)

Keith

Might be they're hoping for an unemployment payout per the Republican playbook. Endemic Covid isn't the new normal we were all hoping would happen. Nope. The new normal is the realization that there was never anything cohesive in our societal construct that overruled our basest natures. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, murps2000 said:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/omicron-San-Francisco-first-case-in-US-COVID-16666494.php

Symptoms are said to be mild. Maybe covid wants to play nice now so it can stick around? Just to be safe I think we should immediately ban all travel to and from San Francisco. 

You would think that evolution would favour a virus it does not kill its host quite as much. So that may be what happens. On the other hand this new variant may be mostly circulating among relatively young healthy people.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

The one US case has mild symptoms partly

Morning, Wendy,

I read the following yesterday about the overamplification of closing borders because of Omicron. While it might be served well in the Biden Critics corner, I am more interested in hearing from some of our scientific fellow skydivers "IF" it's possible that Omicron could be the one to get to help build up one's immune system and the "curse" might also be the cure?

Edited by BIGUN