5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I think that graph is polluted by the simple fact most folks didn't live past 50 or 60 back then.

In 1910, 4% of the population was over 65.

You are probably looking at the average lifespan back then, which was around 45 years.  That's not because no one made it to 50.  That's because a LOT of kids died shortly after birth.  And when you average three people who make it to 70 and two who die shortly after being born, the average lifespan becomes 46.

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The cynic in me sees this as another overblown mass media bonanza.

Trump is hoping for the same. It does however have the potential to have devastating economic consequences, which you have started to see in the stock market the last few days.

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I think that graph is polluted by the simple fact most folks didn't live past 50 or 60 back then.

There is also the issue that the Covid-19 stats were limited to those who have been diagnosed with Covid-19 vs the Spanish Flu stats are looking at increased fatality rates among the entire population.

Something alarming in that video I previously posted was a comment by a medical professional near the end, that the Spanish Flu fatality rate was 1% of those infected, i.e. half the rate of Covid-19.

I am not going to do much other than wash my hands and keep them away from my face. I have a newborn at home so I was doing that anyway.

I did buy some N99 respirator masks for the slight chance that it becomes prevalent in my area and I need to be out in crowded places buying things. Staying home would be the best option if that did happen, but babies need things. I will use them for home improvement projects after this all blows over.

The kid is supplemented with formula in addition to nursing so I may stock up on some extra formula. It will get used anyway, and that will reduce my need to be out and about in the slight chance that it ends up being common around me.

Edited by DougH

1 hour ago, DougH said:

I did buy some N99 respirator masks for the slight chance that it becomes prevalent in my area and I need to be out in crowded places buying things. Staying home would be the best option if that did happen, but babies need things. I will use them for home improvement projects after this all blows over.

They certainly can't hurt.  But I would point out that the #1 things such masks do is that they keep you from touching your face.  If you can do that without the masks, you get most of the benefit.

• Like 1

Evidently America is in good hands with Mike Pence in charge of the Covid-19 upcoming pandemic. He has a well established history of managing medical emergencies in Indiana.

Sleep easy and don't worry just 'Pray On It' 

Cuts to health care under trump will ensure that those who need medical help to treat Covid-19. Can spread it to those with coverage.

Here is a story about Mike Pence from October 4, 2018, entitled

"Mike Pence Is Still to Blame for an HIV Outbreak in Indiana,The avoidable Scott County epidemic may reveal a terrifying future for public health in America."

Mike Pence claimed “smoking doesn’t kill” as late as 2000

In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure.

Edited by Phil1111

And.....just this afternoon a flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg landed with a sick passenger, recently in China, suspected of being infected. Taken from the plane by paramedics directly to the hospital. The other passengers disembarked a couple hours later. The virus is in my town!

23 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And.....just this afternoon a flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg landed with a sick passenger, recently in China, suspected of being infected. Taken from the plane by paramedics directly to the hospital. The other passengers disembarked a couple hours later. The virus is in my town!

And " I'm crossing the border southbound to Spaceland San Marcos with a group of seven tomorrow morning. At least we will get a week of jumping in before the Trump orders Pence to close all the borders."

Well Pence is in charge so its not like homeland security will be meeting you at Pembina N.D.. Pretend you're a republican, look stupid, feign ignorance at every question, praise trump. You'll be ok.

12 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Pretend you're a republican, look stupid, feign ignorance at every question, praise trump.

I already do those things, (well not praise Trump) at the border. I keep my hair short, almost military looking. They are usually friendly when I look this way. I'm still a white man, so even if I get a little unkempt I do okay. In Canada truck driving is now dominated by darker skinned new Canadians. So when I roll up to the window it is a break from the usual suspicious characters for them.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I already do those things, (well not praise Trump) at the border. I keep my hair short, almost military looking. They are usually friendly when I look this way. I'm still a white man, so even if I get a little unkempt I do okay. In Canada truck driving is now dominated by darker skinned new Canadians. So when I roll up to the window it is a break from the usual suspicious characters for them.

Just wear a red "MAGA" hat, and you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Yes, quite a few Sikhs, but also other brown skinned people. And it drives a lot of old time truckers crazy. New immigrants do trucking because it requires not a lot of skill and training while paying a living wage that can support a family. Old time truckers think that they are highly skilled, but except for specialized heavy carriers they are not.

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, quite a few Sikhs, but also other brown skinned people. And it drives a lot of old time truckers crazy. New immigrants do trucking because it requires not a lot of skill and training while paying a living wage that can support a family. Old time truckers think that they are highly skilled, but except for specialized heavy carriers they are not.

Here in CO the local bus lines are considering cutting routes, not because of lack of business, but because of driver shortages: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/10/23/rtd-train-drivers-open-driver-shortage/

And here i am in Abu Dhabi, having changed my flight back to the US from the Maldives to avoid going through S Korea... Maldives quit letting in people who had connected through China in January. 

“On the ground,” as it were, most people at the airports aren’t wearing masks (or goggles, as one of my brothers suggested!). I saw a European or American-looking lady dump her kids’ French fries on the airport table, just as though it were McDonalds.

But the thought of being delayed heading back (or being quarantined because of our choice of flight) made it worth canceling our flight and rebooking to head west instead of east to get home. 

Shit, and “pandemics,” and panics, happen. And far more people are likely to be impacted by them than by terrorism. 

Wendy P.