4 4
gowlerk

covid-19

On 5/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Oregon is going to a lottery for getting vax'd.  The best part is that it includes those already vax'd, not just the holdouts.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oregon to introduce lottery, with $1 million top prize, to encourage COVID-19 vaccinations (usatoday.com)

Jerry Baumchen

I just heard NPR announce that CO is having a lottery with 5 winners of $1M each.

Cool part is that if you are already vaccinated, you are automatically entered in it.

22 hours ago, ryoder said:

I just heard NPR announce that CO is having a lottery with 5 winners of $1M each.

Cool part is that if you are already vaccinated, you are automatically entered in it.

Hi Robert,

What are the residency req'ments for Colorado?  ;P

Jerry Baumchen

6 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Darwin makes his selections early in that run.

Easy. Just watch what the other Darwin recipients did - and don't do that.

Course, there are those creative fuckers who make up new shit - but, we kinda know who they are. :)  

On 5/24/2021 at 2:04 AM, kallend said:

And if they still hold out, let Darwin have the last word.

If only it were that simple, though.  The unvaccinated spur the variants, which could end up affecting us all. :/

This supports the suggestion that we'll all be getting annual vaccines along with our shots for influenza (or at a minimum, boosters for COVID every couple of years). 

It would be interesting to see if there's any overlap between those who think getting a shot is an infringement on their personal freedoms, and those who think all 18 year olds should be forced to do some kind of national service.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kallend said:

It would be interesting to see if there's any overlap between those who think getting a shot is an infringement on their personal freedoms, and those who think all 18 year olds should be forced to do some kind of national service.

Or those who think everyone should be forced to stand during the national anthem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

and those who think all 18 year olds should be forced to do some kind of national service.

Depends on how "National Service" is defined. I do not believe in a national "Military" service, but do believe there are numerous ways to serve those others and your country  more so than yourself. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps. NGO's, Food Centers, the local volunteer fire department and even college. You chose to take the path of college and how much have you done for others. That's what it's about - learning to care about your fellow man.

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Or those who think everyone should be forced to stand during the national anthem.

I don't think everyone should be forced to stand, but I don't believe in taking a knee as a form of protest should be done or revered either. 

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I don't think everyone should be forced to stand, but I don't believe in taking a knee as a form of protest should be done or revered either. 

Simple solution: Stop cheapening the national anthem by dragging into sporting events which have nothing to do politics, or patriotism, or the nation.

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, nwt said:

In your opinion, why should the anthem be played at sporting events?

Good question. It started heavily after WWI and amplified again after WWII and ever since. Veterans go to sports events to feel a sense of home, tranquility, and patriotism.  Their families go with them.  I would even say (although I have no measurement other than qualitative) that most in the stands are veterans. And being around men & women who've put their butts on the line - not a great time to take a knee.   

EDIT: I've been following the notifications to me and not the thread. If we're going to continue this - I suggest another thread. Apologies to Gowlerk & the moderators for the thread drift. 

Edited by BIGUN