5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

43 minutes ago, billvon said:

Would it surprise you to learn that the person who asked Kaepernick to take a knee was a veteran?  Nate Boyer, a former Green Beret and NFL player, asked him to do that out of respect for the flag.  In his words:

"I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting  . . .I thought kneeling was more respectful.   I mean, people kneel when they get knighted.   You kneel to propose to your wife, and you take a knee to pray.   And soldiers often take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave to pay respects. So I thought, if anything, besides standing, that was the most respectful."

Not at all. 

Except that Colin didn't do it out of respect; he did it as a form of protest.  

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Weird to say that the predominantly black athletes on the field better show the respect for the veterans in the stands, but those same black athletes cannot ask for some respect in return.

Nobody said, "better show."  

On a final note: One doesn't ask for respect; they earn it. 

44 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Nobody said, "better show."  

On a final note: One doesn't ask for respect; they earn it. 

Well, I’m going to say that respect is given, because most people don’t know what someone else might have done to earn or lose respect. There’s a difference, but it’s up to the giver to give, rather than the receiver to demand. 
Wendy P. 

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

He sat out the pledge as a protest.  He then talked to Boyer and knelt out of respect for the flag.

It was always about the protest. Changing your body position doesn't change the intent.

Colin was out for Colin and trying to get media attention to remain relevant. 

Well, I’m going to say that respect is given

Agreed. After it's been earned. 

Because most people don’t know what someone else might have done to earn or lose respect.

Sure they do. Did you ever work for someone you gave respect to - they earned it. 

There’s a difference, but it’s up to the giver to give, rather than the receiver to demand. 

Well, anyone who demands it; probably ain't going to get it. 

1 hour ago, nwt said:

No, you answered a question I didn't ask, which was something about taking a knee.

No. I answered the question and then you decided I went tangential. And, I kinda agree to the recency effect of it. 

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

No. I answered the question and then you decided I went tangential. And, I kinda agree to the recency effect of it. 

I didn't ask about taking a knee, I asked about playing the anthem at sporting events.

12 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It was always about the protest. Changing your body position doesn't change the intent.

Colin was out for Colin and trying to get media attention to remain relevant. 

Hi Keith,

IMO neither you nor I can know just why Colin K did it. 

I feel that he did it because of the discrimination towards the black population of our country.

Jerry Baumchen

55 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

The fact that he changed his protest at the request of a US veteran disproves that.  Had he not intended to show any respect, he would have ignored the veteran and continued doing what he wanted.

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Agreed. After it's been earned. 

Sure they do. Did you ever work for someone you gave respect to - they earned it. 

Well, anyone who demands it; probably ain't going to get it. 

I disagree to some degree. I give respect to everyone; it’s yours to lose, not gain. There might be additional respect for specific things, but it’s situational, and it’s sometimes reflected in who I ask for information about things. 
But the respect is my choice, not someone else’s requirement. 
As far as standing for the national anthem, well, I do because it’s expected. But given the number of people I see who think they determine what some other person should respect, and they’re wearing a US flag in a way that I think shows disrespect, well, it’s just not a currency any more... 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

(edited)
22 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I would even say (although I have no measurement other than qualitative) that most in the stands are veterans. And being around men & women who've put their butts on the line - not a great time to take a knee.   

With only 6% of the population being veterans, I doubt that "most in the stands" are.

People like to make taking a knee be about not respecting veterans, but it has zero to do with that.  Just another case of whataboutism.

Edited by headoverheels
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, headoverheels said:

With only 6% of the population being veterans, I doubt that "most in the stands" are.

I think you're mistaken, but as stated have no real quantitative measure. 

10 hours ago, headoverheels said:

People like to make taking a knee be about not respecting veterans, but it has zero to do with that.

Didn't mean that and you are correct. 

12 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I disagree to some degree. I give respect to everyone; it’s yours to lose, not gain. There might be additional respect for specific things, but it’s situational, and it’s sometimes reflected in who I ask for information about things. 
But the respect is my choice, not someone else’s requirement. 

Wendy, You're one of those people that has an aura of respect & kindness around you. 

As far as standing for the national anthem, well, I do because it’s expected. But given the number of people I see who think they determine what some other person should respect, and they’re wearing a US flag in a way that I think shows disrespect, well, it’s just not a currency any more

Please don't give up on your country or your flag. 

Even though we may have differing opinions on certain things; your voice and opinions are important. You bring balance. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Please don't give up on your country or your flag. 

Protesting by taking a knee or supporting someone who does is not “giving up on your country”. It is attempting to improve your country. Veterans do not have a monopoly on patriotism. 

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Protesting by taking a knee or supporting someone who does is not “giving up on your country”. It is attempting to improve your country. Veterans do not have a monopoly on patriotism. 

Yeah, but they damn sure do on commitment. You know, kinda like breakfast. The pig put his ass on the line. The chicken just contributed.  

16 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Yeah, but they damn sure do on commitment. You know, kinda like breakfast. The pig put his ass on the line. The chicken just contributed.  

spacer.png  

'In other words, the overwhelming majority of respondents had economic reasons for joining up; for most enlistees, it seems military service is a job first and a calling second."

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Nonsense. Plenty of people do unpleasant, dangerous and often life threatening work to benefit others, usually for very little money.

Yup. Day after day. Week after week. Year after year. It's called commitment. It's what you do if you believe in something.