4 4
gowlerk

covid-19

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Even worse are those who are suffering at home, or on the street because under the US system only the worthy who can pay are treated. 

Speaking of being treated. Did you get a dose in N. Dakota yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kallend said:

universal health care, decided it was a bad idea,

I'm all for universal healthcare. An ACA expansion of Medicaid that was written by the four primary health insurers that only benefits them - is not universal healthcare. Obama had a great opportunity to get it right and fumbled the ball. 

For your reading pleasure:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/08/13/transcending-obamacare-an-introduction-to-patient-centered-consumer-driven-health-reform/?sh=56d7581f5b9b

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2015/01/27/conservative-think-tank-10-countries-with-universal-health-care-are-economically-freer-than-the-u-s/?sh=16641d03137e

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I'm all for universal healthcare. An ACA expansion of Medicaid that was written by the four primary health insurers that only benefits them - is not universal healthcare. Obama had a great opportunity to get it right and fumbled the ball. 

True dat.  He remained open to compromise from the right, and they used that openness as an opportunity to sabotage it so that, years later, people could find fault with it and ensure it would not be as much of a success.

There's a lesson there (unfortunately.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, billvon said:

True dat.  He remained open to compromise from the right, and they used that openness as an opportunity to sabotage it so that, years later, people could find fault with it and ensure it would not be as much of a success.

There's a lesson there (unfortunately.)

As I recall there were forces from the right side of his own party who needed to be accommodated. The USA is almost but not quite ready to accept giving healthcare to all of it's citizens regardless of means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billvon said:

True dat.  He remained open to compromise from the right, and they used that openness as an opportunity to sabotage it so that, years later, people could find fault with it and ensure it would not be as much of a success.

There's a lesson there (unfortunately.)

Fortunately Biden seems to have learned from that lesson.

He remains open to compromise, and TRIES TO offer the Rs a 'seat at the table'.
But since all they seem to want to do is (figuratively) smear mashed potatoes and gravy all over the table cloth, he doesn't allow them to destroy his plans.

He moves forward without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

I disagree; it is part of the discussion.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Can you name one country?

 

No, can't name a country.. Western country after western country has moved to universal care because of the economics. The competition models result in waste, duplication and additional record keeping costs. IMO President Biden should not lose focus on sharpening the ACA act or moving further on universal care. Because there is still 2% of GDP waste in the US model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
10 hours ago, kallend said:

Can anyone name a developed country that has introduced universal health care, decided it was a bad idea, and gone back to a US style system?

 

32 minutes ago, kallend said:

Waiting. . . . .

Well there is the US. President Obama introduced a modest semi-universal health care system. Then trump got some juicy donations to his party and pressure from lobbyists. So it went back a 1/2 step.

The authors of this new book: The Great American Healthcare Scam: How Kickbacks, Collusion and Propaganda Have Exploded Healthcare Costs in the United States

Two physicians published a segment  of the book here.

"the financial reports of the 13 largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. It shows that 45% of their total combined revenue since 2011 came solely from sales the U.S." The world appreciates Americans rich and poor subsidizing every one else s drug costs.

The chart below has Canadian prices in Canadian dollars. US prices in US dollars with no correction for exchange. So Canadian prices are an even 20% cheaper.

Medication and Dose Price in the US Price in Canada
Brilinta 90 mg $5.99 per pill $1.67 per pill
Gilenya 0.5 mg $265.03 per capsule $91.30 per capsule
Humalog Insulin 100 units/ml $26.14 per ml $2.78 per ml
Pradaxa 150 mg $6.92 per capsule $1.78 per capsule
Spiriva 18 mcg $13.72 per capsule $1.91 per capsule
Xarelto 20 mg $14.37 per pill

$3.07 per pill

Edited by Phil1111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

 

Well there is the US. President Obama introduced a modest semi-universal health care system. Then trump got some juicy donations to his party and pressure from lobbyists. So it went back a 1/2 step.

The authors of this new book: The Great American Healthcare Scam: How Kickbacks, Collusion and Propaganda Have Exploded Healthcare Costs in the United States

Two physicians published a segment  of the book here.

"the financial reports of the 13 largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. It shows that 45% of their total combined revenue since 2011 came solely from sales the U.S." The world appreciates Americans rich and poor subsidizing every one else s drug costs.

The chart below has Canadian prices in Canadian dollars. US prices in US dollars with no correction for exchange. So Canadian prices are an even 20% cheaper.

Medication and Dose Price in the US Price in Canada
Brilinta 90 mg $5.99 per pill $1.67 per pill
Gilenya 0.5 mg $265.03 per capsule $91.30 per capsule
Humalog Insulin 100 units/ml $26.14 per ml $2.78 per ml
Pradaxa 150 mg $6.92 per capsule $1.78 per capsule
Spiriva 18 mcg $13.72 per capsule $1.91 per capsule
Xarelto 20 mg $14.37 per pill

$3.07 per pill

In other words, America is a sucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every day I get an e-mail from the New York State Governors office with information on easing restrictions for Covid-19. 

It also includes the % of population immunized, number of new cases, number tested, number hospitalized, number in ICU, and number of deaths.

I would be interested to see how many people die each day from smoking related illness.

I'll bet it is equal to or greater than the number of Covid deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Every day I get an e-mail from the New York State Governors office with information on easing restrictions for Covid-19. 

It also includes the % of population immunized, number of new cases, number tested, number hospitalized, number in ICU, and number of deaths.

I would be interested to see how many people die each day from smoking related illness.

I'll bet it is equal to or greater than the number of Covid deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm#:~:text=Cigarette smoking is responsible for,or 1%2C300 deaths every day.&text=On average%2C smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

A sucker for allowing money, PACs and lobbyists to rule important public policy.

Here’s How Much McConnell Got From Big Pharma After Nixing a Bill to Lower Drug Prices

$50k for selling out America on one vote.

Hi Phil,

McConnell is an idiot; he could have easily gotten 10 times that much.  

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigfalls said:

Every day I get an e-mail from the New York State Governors office with information on easing restrictions for Covid-19. 

It also includes the % of population immunized, number of new cases, number tested, number hospitalized, number in ICU, and number of deaths.

I would be interested to see how many people die each day from smoking related illness.

I'll bet it is equal to or greater than the number of Covid deaths.

Well, I guess we don't need to concern ourselves with car accidents, airline safety, COVID, drowning, or anything else that causes fewer deaths than smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Same reason you are building that free wall...... We'll pay eventually, probably with pickerel.

No slight to the famous and innovative Canadian Pharmaceutical industry but isn't is surprising the many ways the American taxpayer subsidizes our allies?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

No slight to the famous and innovative Canadian Pharmaceutical industry but isn't is surprising the many ways the American taxpayer subsidizes our allies?

 

Not just your allies. You have a well known knack for enriching your enemies as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

McConnell is an idiot; he could have easily gotten 10 times that much.  

Jerry Baumchen

"The story told us of a pharmaceutical giant called Amgen and three senators so close to it they might be entries on its balance sheet: Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Democratic Senator Max Baucus, chair of the Senate Finance Committee, and that powerful committee’s ranking Republican, Orrin Hatch. A trio of perpetrators who treat the United States treasury as if it were a cash-and-carry annex of corporate America.

The Times story described how Amgen got a huge hidden gift from unnamed members of Congress and their staffers. They slipped an eleventh-hour loophole into the New Year’s Eve deal that kept the government from going over the fiscal cliff. When the sun rose in the morning, there it was, a richly embroidered loophole for Amgen that will cost taxpayers a cool half a billion dollars.

Amgen is the world’s largest biotechnology firm, a drug maker that sells a variety of medications. The little clause they secretly sneaked into the fiscal cliff bill gives the company two more years of relief from Medicare cost controls for certain drugs used by patients who are on kidney dialysis, including a pill called Sensipar, manufactured by Amgen.... just weeks before this backroom betrayal of the public interest by elected officials....Amgen agreed to pay $762 million in criminal and civil penalties; the company had been caught illegally marketing another one of its drugs."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

4 4