5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Just a heads up, every soldier who graduated basic training is “decorated”.  

If you're referring to the NDSM; you may want to revisit that. And, until recently, those without an NDSM could not gain membership in the American Legion.  

Several states, including NY, Maryland and Ohio, are giving lottery tickets as incentives to holdouts to get vaccinated.

I'm all in favor of incentives that apply to all those who have been vaccinated, such as opening access to events and locations, but rewarding holdouts seems to me likely to encourage more holdouts  looking for an even bigger handout. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kallend said:

Several states, including NY, Maryland and Ohio, are giving lottery tickets as incentives to holdouts to get vaccinated.

I'm all in favor of incentives that apply to all those who have been vaccinated, such as opening access to events and locations, but rewarding holdouts seems to me likely to encourage more holdouts  looking for an even bigger handout. 

Agreed. 

56 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Agreed. 

People who are not clear enough thinkers to understand the odds of vaccine risk versus virus risk are exactly the kind of people who are attracted to lotteries. It will nudge the uptake rate by several percentage points. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

People who are not clear enough thinkers to understand the odds of vaccine risk versus virus risk are exactly the kind of people who are attracted to lotteries. It will nudge the uptake rate by several percentage points. 

Psychologists tell us that people are more averse to losing something than to gaining something of equivalent value.

I think the willfully unvaccinated should lose privileges rather than being given handouts.

And if they still hold out, let Darwin have the last word.

• Like 1

Just now, kallend said:

I think the willfully unvaccinated should lose privileges rather than being given handouts.

Yes, but politics is the art of the possible. America has ruled out vaccine passports for now and only a very bad set of medical outcomes will change that. So let's just hope that the rate achieved will be enough to tamp it down to an acceptable level. I still believe that everyone who does not get vaccinated will be infected eventually. Some of them will die, many more will be damaged, but most will brag about how they "stood up for freedom".

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

Oregon is going to a lottery for getting vax'd.  The best part is that it includes those already vax'd, not just the holdouts.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oregon to introduce lottery, with $1 million top prize, to encourage COVID-19 vaccinations (usatoday.com)

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The 'funny' part about that is the fact that the chances of someone winning the lottery is in the same neighborhood as the chances of having a serious reaction to the vaccine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, but politics is the art of the possible. America has ruled out vaccine passports for now . . . .

And then there is statesmanship and leadership, which is doing the right thing and leading the people in the right direction.

(edited)
34 minutes ago, kallend said:

And then there is statesmanship and leadership, which is doing the right thing and leading the people in the right direction.

Agreed, but good luck with that. I'm sitting here in Winnipeg where poor leadership and short sightedness has turned an opportunity to get through the pandemic locally with limited damage into the current situation where we are leading the continent in infection rate and have become beggars for ICU help. 

Edited by gowlerk

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Agree

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Psychologists tell us that people are more averse to losing something than to gaining something of equivalent value.

And if they still hold out, let Darwin have the last word.

Somewhat true but the fence sitters and indifferent can be pulled by prizes and pushed by sanctions. When the ignorant end up in hospital everyone pays. When they pass it on to others everyone pays.

If they just walked to the grave I might be indifferent to their self inflicted stupidity. But we all know stupid costs us all.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Oregon is going to a lottery for getting vax'd.  The best part is that it includes those already vax'd, not just the holdouts.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oregon to introduce lottery, with $1 million top prize, to encourage COVID-19 vaccinations (usatoday.com)

Jerry Baumchen

I just heard NPR announce that CO is having a lottery with 5 winners of $1M each.

Cool part is that if you are already vaccinated, you are automatically entered in it.