5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
54 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Right now I'm trying to ignore real Joe when I hear that lame anti-vax nonsense but I don't see that lasting. Hey, you suppose Ron or Brent got vaccinated?

I’m pretty sure I remember Ron saying that he wanted to. Tomorrow is Sunday and he usually has the time and opportunity to post here on Sunday mornings.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Right now I'm trying to ignore real Joe when I hear that lame anti-vax nonsense but I don't see that lasting. Hey, you suppose Ron or Brent got vaccinated?

I suspect they did, but won’t admit to it - at least not to their neighbors.

I’ve heard of a load of that going on.

Edited by yoink

11 hours ago, kallend said:

Might I remind you that a number of counties (almost all of them in "red" states) are currently declining their full quota of vaccines because of insufficient demand.

Great then transfer the vaccines to the states that want them. There are plenty in that category. 

20 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Great then transfer the vaccines to the states that want them. There are plenty in that category. 

Almost all states are at the very least close to matching supply and demand. I am not hearing of any asking for more right now.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Yeah, Ron would be honest about that, frankly. And he’s old, and has health issues. 
Wendy P. 

34 minutes ago, Westerly said:

The vaccine rollout in the US is working pretty well; most states are getting enough vaccine to vaccinate with the vaccination facilities they have open.  Don't mess with success.

We cant even supply vaccines to our own country. Might I remind you half of all Americans still dont have the vaccine. I'd say we have more pressing issues at hand.

But the other half (mostly) doesn't want the vaccine.  In many states (like Texas) we are getting to the point where the populace is almost as vaccinated as it wants to be; average vaccination rates in Texas have been dropping since April 10th, even though vaccine supply has been going up.  Absent an order to get vaccinated, there aren't going to be a lot more vaccinations in Texas.

Right now we have 53% of adults in the US vaccinated.  We will be able to push that to about 75% before every adult who wants a vaccine has one.  At the rate we are going now, that will take another three weeks or so before our demand goes way down.  And that's the best we are going to do, barring a government requirement to get vaccinated (which is unlikely.)  That means our total population vaccinated is going to be about 60%, and that's not going to change by much until they approve a vaccine for kids.

The worst possible thing that could happen is to have a new variant arise which is not covered by the current vaccines.  At 60% total vaccination PLUS NPI's we can probably get Re below 1 for existing strains and end the pandemic.  A new vaccine-resistant strain would result in the beginning of another big spike.  And if that is coupled with half the states in the US dropping all NPI's because "enough already, liberal police state blah blah blah" then we could see another 100K deaths.

And that, IMO, would not be a good thing.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

The vaccine rollout in the US is working pretty well; most states are getting enough vaccine to vaccinate with the vaccination facilities they have open.  Don't mess with success.

But the other half (mostly) doesn't want the vaccine.  In many states (like Texas) we are getting to the point where the populace is almost as vaccinated as it wants to be; average vaccination rates in Texas have been dropping since April 10th, even though vaccine supply has been going up.  Absent an order to get vaccinated, there aren't going to be a lot more vaccinations in Texas.

Right now we have 53% of adults in the US vaccinated.  We will be able to push that to about 75% before every adult who wants a vaccine has one.  At the rate we are going now, that will take another three weeks or so before our demand goes way down.  And that's the best we are going to do, barring a government requirement to get vaccinated (which is unlikely.)  That means our total population vaccinated is going to be about 60%, and that's not going to change by much until they approve a vaccine for kids.

The worst possible thing that could happen is to have a new variant arise which is not covered by the current vaccines.  At 60% total vaccination PLUS NPI's we can probably get Re below 1 for existing strains and end the pandemic.  A new vaccine-resistant strain would result in the beginning of another big spike.  And if that is coupled with half the states in the US dropping all NPI's because "enough already, liberal police state blah blah blah" then we could see another 100K deaths.

And that, IMO, would not be a good thing.

The knuckleheads of the world are going to kill us if they have to die trying. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Westerly said:

You really don't get it, do you.  

Viruses don't respect international boundaries.  India is the current hotbed for the evolution of new strains.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kallend said:

You really don't get it, do you.  

Viruses don't respect international boundaries.  India is the current hotbed for the evolution of new strains.

Once again, John, you miss the larger point. We're supposed to be the greatest nation of innovators the world has yet seen, right? Well, then why are we still using other peoples viruses? Sure India has us beat on numbers but even the South Africans managed to develop their own virus. I say we hold tight and wait this out until we have a Texas strain or maybe one from West Virginia.

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Once again, John, you miss the larger point. We're supposed to be the greatest nation of innovators the world has yet seen, right? Well, then why are we still using other peoples viruses? Sure India has us beat on numbers but even the South Africans managed to develop their own virus. I say we hold tight and wait this out until we have a Texas strain or maybe one from West Virginia.

When I was reading up on the 1918 pandemic, I learned that experts believe the "Spanish" Flu, in fact originated in Kansas.  The only reason it was called "Spanish" flu was because the first reports in the press came out of Spain. And the reason for that was that Spain was not involved in WWI, and therefore was not muzzling their press, as the WWI participants were doing.

So can you believe that? The US developed a whole new strain of influenza, and shipped it across the world with our troops, but the Spanish got all the credit.

(edited)
On 4/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, gowlerk said:

Almost all states are at the very least close to matching supply and demand. I am not hearing of any asking for more right now.

Regarding people who dont want to get the vaccine, put it on businesses. There is no reason why an employer cant mandate it. Employers already have the ability to mandate other vaccines. You cant work in heath care if you refuse the flu shot for example. So easy, get the shot or lose your job. Also make it a requirement for travel. Want to get on an airplane? You have to show your COVID card then.

Of course not all employers are going to give enough of a shit to mandate it, but if the big 10 employers did, that would cover a large percentage just right there. The US government could mandate all of their employees get it, and that's the largest employer in the US right there.

In the end, make it so inconvenient to not have the shot that you basically have to get it.

Edited by Westerly

26 minutes ago, Westerly said:

In the end, make it so inconvenient to not have the shot that you basically have to get it

That is basically what will happen in the end. But the end game is not yet near. And as others have pointed out all the vaccines are only approved as emergency drugs. Mandating vaccination will have to await full approval. But other forms of social pressure coupled with the fact that everyone who does not get vaccinated is going to get covid in one degree or another sooner or later, will cause the rate to rise to somewhere between 70 and 80%.

43 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Regarding people who dont want to get the vaccine, put it on businesses. There is no reason why an employer cant mandate it. 

There are legal issues in requiring people to get an experimental (i.e. not approved) vaccine.  It's illegal for the military to require soldiers to participate in experimental treatments, for example.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Here is an example of the kind of carrot and stick approach that will get a good number of hesitant people over their stubbornness.

https://us.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/europe-vaccinated-americans-summer-eu-vacation/index.html

Most Americans will never travel to Europe.  I expect that this is even more true for the Americans that are hesitant to take the vaccines.

15 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Most Americans will never travel to Europe.  I expect that this is even more true for the Americans that are hesitant to take the vaccines.

Indeed, such people tend to take pride in the fact that they've never traveled outside their state.

8 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

You are right and hopefully that won't change. But there are millions who do travel and they should get the benefit that comes from not being dumb.

15 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I thought this whole thing was Bill Gates' fault?

9 hours ago, billvon said:

There are legal issues in requiring people to get an experimental (i.e. not approved) vaccine.  It's illegal for the military to require soldiers to participate in experimental treatments, for example.

So it sounds like it's time to just approve it. What are they waiting for anyway, the entire world population to take it before it gets approved? Half of Americans have already taken the vaccine. There is no other experimental drug on the planet that has had even 1/50th as many participants. You cant really call it experimental anymore when literately the entire population has taken it... Safe to say if there was something serious we need to know about it, we would already know it.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Westerly said:

You cant really call it experimental anymore when literately the entire population has taken it..

"Literally" nothing of the sort.

(And what about the illiterates?)

Edited by kallend
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Westerly said:

So it sounds like it's time to just approve it. What are they waiting for anyway . . .

Perhaps more data from the actual studies going on?

You cant really call it experimental anymore when literately the entire population has taken it...

If the entire population took hydroxychloroquine because an illiterate carnival barker convinced them to, that would not make it an approved treatment for COVID-19.

There is no other experimental drug on the planet that has had even 1/50th as many participants.

There is no other pandemic on the planet that has killed three million people in the last few years.

Safe to say if there was something serious we need to know about it, we would already know it.

Like, say, it increases the odds of dangerous blood clots in women under 50?  We knew that as soon as we started administering it, eh?