5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, Westerly said:

Yea, and most med schools require a GPA of 3.2 to graduate at all, so even those who are last in their class are still better than most students studying other fields.

Man, you have a knack for connecting dots that don't exist that is truly fascinating.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

BREAKING NEWS on my local tv station evening news just now.

It seems as though a federal judge ( I have no other info ) has ruled that the adults incarcerated in Oregon Correctional Facilities ( prisons ) must go to the head of the line for Covid-19 vaccinations.  This decision is the result of a lawsuit previously filed.

I would be OK with their just being integrated into the existing state protocols, and get in line like the rest of us.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
6 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

BREAKING NEWS on my local tv station evening news just now.

It seems as though a federal judge ( I have no other info ) has ruled that the adults incarcerated in Oregon Correctional Facilities ( prisons ) must go to the head of the line for Covid-19 vaccinations.  This decision is the result of a lawsuit previously filed.

I would be OK with their just being integrated into the existing state protocols, and get in line like the rest of us.

Jerry Baumchen

Good. They are a highly vulnerable population and should receive priority.

edit:

State health officials report that the largest active COVID-19 outbreaks in Oregon are in its prisons.

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/01/22/oergon-prisons-lawsuit-covid-19-vaccine/

Edited by nwt
addendum

(edited)
2 hours ago, nwt said:

Good. They are a highly vulnerable population and should receive priority.

Incarcerated felons should receive priority over say... combat veterans... or police officers.... or pretty much anyone not in jail? They should get the shot for sure, but the priority should probably go to those who have existing medical conditions and are not doing time for a felony.

Edited by Westerly

1 minute ago, Westerly said:

Convicted felons should receive priority over say... combat veterans... or police officers.... or pretty much anyone not in jail? They should get the shot for sure, but the priority should probably go to those who have existing medical conditions and are not doing time for a felony.

Yes. Did I stutter?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, nwt said:

Yes. Did I stutter?

No, your brain just isint working. Putting nemesis to society over those who protect society sounds logical only to the illogical. But hey, if they ever make a prisoners' union, at least we know who to call now.

Edited by Westerly

On 2/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, airdvr said:

Since it takes a 4 year degree and then another 4 years of schooling I'd say someone must have taught him.  I'm thinking they didn't do a very good job.

No thats what happens when you mix a gun a totin GOP supporter with higher edjucation. not everything sticks.

8 hours ago, Westerly said:

No, your brain just isint working. Putting nemesis to society over those who protect society sounds logical only to the illogical. But hey, if they ever make a prisoners' union, at least we know who to call now.

Check yourself, my brain is working just fine and I studied the ethics and pragmatics of this in medical school. We don’t assign vaccine priority based on a moral judgment of how “good” you are and the vaccine is not an “attaboy” for valiant service. It is quite simply not a factor. 

If the doctors and federal judges tell you you’re doing healthcare wrong, you should really stop and evaluate how “logical” your argument really is. You use the word twice but fail to apply the concept. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nwt said:

Check yourself, my brain is working just fine and I studied the ethics and pragmatics of this in medical school. We don’t assign vaccine priority based on a moral judgment of how “good” you are and the vaccine is not an “attaboy” for valiant service. It is quite simply not a factor. 

If the doctors and federal judges tell you you’re doing healthcare wrong, you should really stop and evaluate how “logical” your argument really is. You use the word twice but fail to apply the concept. 

You're so silly to imagine ethics enter the thinking of republicans. Its why children get put into cages at the border when they come to America for safety. Its why a black guy who gets caught with 30 grams of homegrown gets jail time. Hence the bottom of the vaccination list. While Wall street bankers get bailouts, on top of golden parachutes, on top of stock options.

SC yep, republicans are everywhere.sort of a QAnon lite.

SuperSpreader Sunday coming up.

Two separate surveys — one by Seton Hall University and one by the National Retail Federation — found that nearly 30 percent of adults said they would attend a gathering at someone’s home or watch the game at a restaurant or a bar.

unnamed (1).png

11 hours ago, Westerly said:

Vaccines aren't a way to reward heroes.  Vaccines are a way to stop a pandemic.  Vaccinating a group of people who are indoors in tight quarters and who can't mask regularly is more important than vaccinating a group of people that can distance, mask etc - from the point of view of stopping the pandemic.

If, of course, your goal is eugenics, and you hope that withholding vaccines will kill those you disfavor, AND are willing to see others die as well as a consequence of not fighting the pandemic effectively, then I guess your plan could make sense.  Fortunately our pandemic response does not take that approach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Also, they are unable to practice social distancing.  If the ultimate goal is to get out from under this we shouldn't penalize one set of folks.

I completely agree. Prisoners are probably the most unpopular and disregarded group in society. Behind even politicians and lawyers. But they are still our brothers and sisters. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

But they are still our brothers and sisters. 

Yea, I wonder people died from the actions of martin shkreli when he raised the price of drugs 1000x so no one could afford them anymore? Nice to know you care so much about people who care so little about you. You'd make a great union rep.

1 minute ago, Westerly said:

Yea, I wonder people died from the actions of martin shkreli when he raised the price of drugs 1000x so no one could afford them anymore? Nice to know you care so much about people who care so little about you. You'd make a great union rep.

Nope. What we do to the least among us says more about us than it does them. (and convicted criminals are pretty least). Because it’s the exemplification of “all men are created equal,” “punishment should fit the crime,” and “innocent until proven guilty.” 
If we go by the “fuck the guilty,” then it’s a much shorter step to “he needed killing,” and “why should we pay for lawyers.” And those are important. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kallend said:

SuperSpreader Sunday coming up.

Two separate surveys — one by Seton Hall University and one by the National Retail Federation — found that nearly 30 percent of adults said they would attend a gathering at someone’s home or watch the game at a restaurant or a bar.

unnamed (1).png

So according to the graph maybe the best defense against Covid at this point is to terminate all federal holidays? They seem to be the equivalent of pouring a shipping container of gas on a forest fire, so suspending them entirely may be in the best interest of all.

4 minutes ago, Westerly said:

So according to the graph maybe the best defense against Covid at this point is to terminate all federal holidays? They seem to be the equivalent of pouring a shipping container of gas on a forest fire, so suspending them entirely may be in the best interest of all.

Yes. The official recommendations were to not gather for these holidays. It's impossible to enforce, though.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Nice to know you care so much about people who care so little about you. You'd make a great union rep.

It has often been said that the true measure of the morality of a society is not how they treat their heroes - but how they treat their prisoners.  That has a lot of truth to it.

(However, again, that's not the issue here.  The issue is how to stop the pandemic.)

(edited)
3 minutes ago, nwt said:

Yes. The official recommendations were to not gather for these holidays. It's impossible to enforce, though.

Recommendations are a waste of time. The type of people who truly need to read recommendations are also the exact type of people who have no interest in reading them. That's why we make things like seatbelt use compulsory. Look how well CDC recommendations have worked out for us so far...

Edited by Westerly

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

I'm not sure how to answer this drivel without a PA. So I guess my best bet is to just let people read it and draw their own conclusion about you.

• Like 1