2 2
gowlerk

covid-19

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, yoink said:
7 hours ago, ryoder said:

From KOTA in Rapid City, SD;

Data company tracks traffic into 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally:

https://www.kotatv.com/2020/08/18/video-data-company-tracks-traffic-into-2020-sturgis-motorcycle-rally/

That is terrifying for a bunch of reasons.

I actually had a nightmare about it last night.  I suddenly found myself at Sturgis with Jennifer Aniston in a stairwell packed with a bunch of bikers.  And I said wait a minute, this can't be right, what about covid, what about social distancing, we have to get out of here -  but Jennifer Aniston mocked me and insisted on staying so I just left her, and then I woke up in a cold sweat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coreece said:

I actually had a nightmare about it last night.  I suddenly found myself at Sturgis with Jennifer Aniston in a stairwell packed with a bunch of bikers.  And I said wait a minute, this can't be right, what about covid, what about social distancing, we have to get out of here -  but Jennifer Aniston mocked me and insisted on staying so I just left her, and then I woke up in a cold sweat.

What did they use for tracking?  License plates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:
17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

anonymous cell phone data

Hi Sky,

Actually, anyone who read the link would know that. 

I didn't read the link, I just looked at the map and figured that's what they used.  Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

Another nifty feature is when they tell you cops were spotted up ahead.  Never looked into how that all worked, but I believe other drivers report them, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coreece said:

Another nifty feature is when they tell you cops were spotted up ahead.  Never looked into how that all worked, but I believe other drivers report them, lol.

Yup, that is the waze platform they bought a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

I vaguely recall a story some years ago about a dude who would create artificial traffic jams with a cart full of like 50 smartphones that he'd slowly wheel along the sidewalk and mess up Google's local data. I think it was some sort of performative protest or awareness building thing about big tech? Still fascinating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mistercwood said:
22 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

I vaguely recall a story some years ago about a dude who would create artificial traffic jams with a cart full of like 50 smartphones that he'd slowly wheel along the sidewalk and mess up Google's local data. I think it was some sort of performative protest or awareness building thing about big tech? Still fascinating.

Found it:

https://www.wired.com/story/99-phones-fake-google-maps-traffic-jam/

Hillarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
17 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

I vaguely recall a story some years ago about a dude who would create artificial traffic jams with a cart full of like 50 smartphones that he'd slowly wheel along the sidewalk and mess up Google's local data. I think it was some sort of performative protest or awareness building thing about big tech? Still fascinating.

https://www.boredpanda.com/fake-traffic-jam-99-smartphones-google-maps-simon-weckert/

ETA: Coreece beat me to the post.

Edited by ryoder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a comment made on another thread that got me thinking.

It's said that there are 170K (roughly) covid-19 deaths so far this year.

So I did some googling, and this is what I found:

1) The CDC can track on a seemingly daily basis an individual number of deaths by covid-19.

2) There are no statistics for the entire year of 2019 on the website that I could find.

3) "NOTES: A total of 2,839,205 resident deaths were registered in the United States in 2018."

4) 14.9% of those deaths were influenza and Pneumonia related (423,042) [That is up .6% from 2017]

Here is what I was thinking about:

At the end of the year, when the calculations are complete, the number of Influenza and Pneumonia deaths should stay somewhere around 14 - 15%.

Theoretically the numbers should be about the same, right?

The Covid-19 deaths would be added to that figure, correct?

So, adding in the Covid-19 respiratory illness to the flu and pneumonia deaths, we should expect total flu and Pneumonia numbers in the 760's this year.

(Average 6 months to get to 170K . . . 12 months should be 340K)

I wonder if there will be a decline in other deaths.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I wonder if there will be a decline in other deaths.

The study Skydekker linked covers some interesting points and areas where deaths could increase. I don't think I'd need a study though to conclude that in areas/countries where WFH was widely adopted you would expect to see a drop in motor vehicle injuries and deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mistercwood said:

The study Skydekker linked covers some interesting points and areas where deaths could increase. I don't think I'd need a study though to conclude that in areas/countries where WFH was widely adopted you would expect to see a drop in motor vehicle injuries and deaths.

I agree that sounds reasonable.

I also think that just the reduced traffic patterns will have a large impact in vehicle fatalities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

COVID-19 deaths August 8 - 21

USA - 14,316

  Florida - 2,241

  Texas - 2,803

  Georgia - 860

  Arizona - 613

Canada - 88

UK - 139

France - 140

Germany - 72

Spain - 196

Italy - 237

Australia - 207

Japan - 118

NZ - 0

 

Edited by kallend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

You would think no one knew what protective measures to take.

Two weeks ago? Why would you think that? At this point I’m not sure how it’s possible to be a functional human being in society and not know what protective measures to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Easy kids.  That wasn't a rhetorical statement.  I'm honestly dumbfounded that people don't know.

They do, they just don’t care - an opinion which has constantly been reinforced by the messaging from the guy at the top.

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You would think no one knew what protective measures to take.

The USA has 18 times the deaths from the virus in the last 2 weeks than the rest of the G7 nations combined.

What do they have they we don't?

I suggest competent and concerned leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakee said:

They do, they just don’t care - an opinion which has constantly been reinforced by the messaging from the guy at the top.

And his enablers, like Herman Cain (and others at the Trump rallies in Tulsa and at Mt. Rushmore).

Looks like Sturgis is setting up to be a spreader event too - yesterday SD had the highest number of new cases since May 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2